Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Facial expressions broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Bentusi View Post
    The Workshop Tools shipped before 6.82, so Valve shipped it with the Dota version available to them at that point - a version with 64-bit features, but not one that updates with the main client. It's kinda like how the test & beta clients function in that regard. It's probably gonna vanish as the Workshop Tools get their proper release and become compatible with the normal Dota client we all use.

That also means reporting bugs from the Workshop Tools version probably shouldn't be mixed up with bug reports for the main client, and might not even be necessary if that Dota version is just a placeholder until the Workshop Tools can be released.
    Yeah, I've gotcha.

Anyway, earlier today, I decided to try playing without any Equipment, Wards, Loading Screens, Announcer Packs, and HUDs, just to see if playing vanilla makes any difference. It doesn't.
    ~*~ Star light, star bright, I am Starry Might! ~*~

Basic Member
    still broken.

I genuinely wouldn't expect bugfixes until next year, they even skipped Diretide to work on some bigger updates scheduled for end of this year/beginning of next year.

Maybe in Spring Cleaning 2 - Electric Boogaloo.

I genuinely wouldn't expect bugfixes until next year, they even skipped Diretide to work on some bigger updates scheduled for end of this year/beginning of next year.
    I hope it doesn't come to that!

EDIT: Thinking more about it, though, I think you do have a point. EDIT #2: Only time will truly tell, though...

Maybe in Spring Cleaning 2 - Electric Boogaloo.

Anyhoo, I played as Mirana earlier today, and even though I didn't left-click anyone/anything else, her idle facials spontaneously broke?! (I didn't notice this until my second death; looking through my screenshots of the match, I don't know what exactly triggered it.)
    Last edited by Starry Might; 10-25-2014 at 04:18 PM.

There's a bug with dead heroes missing head cosmetics in their portraits (leading to bald Crystal Maidens and headless Juggernauts and the like), which would imply the game reloads your hero when they die, and that process can fail as described by me or as mentioned by you. Maybe it's a reloading process implemented for cases like players swapping heroes, which will only update cosmetics to correspond with the new player upon death.

So it sounds like there's a general error in that quick reloading process that happens ingame. Valve might end up revamping the complete buffer system anyway because it frequently messes up in Replays when you use the 10s Rewind function, leading to missing particle effects, floating buildings and all sorts of other nonsense. The upcoming 64-bit version of Dota would probably also load things differently when it has access to more RAM. Maybe some alpha code of that 64-bit version got mixed up with the public release (pieces of unreleased hero files are being discovered by fans all the time after all) and now Dota tries to reload facial expression data from a space where they would be stored in the 64-bit version, but aren't in the current 32-bit version?

I'm sure Valve doesn't need wild customer speculations to pinpoint the actual problem, just throwing out some possible reasons for why this isn't simply being hotfixed.

There's a bug with dead heroes missing head cosmetics in their portraits (leading to bald Crystal Maidens and headless Juggernauts and the like), which would imply the game reloads your hero when they die, and that process can fail as described by me or as mentioned by you. Maybe it's a reloading process implemented for cases like players swapping heroes, which will only update cosmetics to correspond with the new player upon death.

So it sounds like there's a general error in that quick reloading process that happens ingame. Valve might end up revamping the complete buffer system anyway because it frequently messes up in Replays when you use the 10s Rewind function, leading to missing particle effects, floating buildings and all sorts of other nonsense. The upcoming 64-bit version of Dota would probably also load things differently when it has access to more RAM. Maybe some alpha code of that 64-bit version got mixed up with the public release (pieces of unreleased hero files are being discovered by fans all the time after all) and now Dota tries to reload facial expression data from a space where they would be stored in the 64-bit version, but aren't in the current 32-bit version?

I'm sure Valve doesn't need wild customer speculations to pinpoint the actual problem, just throwing out some possible reasons for why this isn't simply being hotfixed.
    I still don't know for sure exactly what went wrong with Mirana last time. :-/

That's an interesting theory about the buffer system, though!

Yeah, the main client already has some mixed up files from the Workshop Tools Alpha version like the Custom Games button in the Play section (which doesn't do a whole lot), so even if it's not related to caching, it's probably *something* from that version that's incompatible with the main client and will probably get fixed once the Workshop Tools version is fully ready for release.

Basic Member
    11/6/2014 still broken.

Basic Member
    The weird thing is that today I played Windrunner twice and in both occasions her portrait was fully functional at the start, but a minute later it became bugged again. So they are still broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry70 View Post
    The weird thing is that today I played Windrunner twice and in both occasions her portrait was fully functional at the start, but a minute later it became bugged again. So they are still broken.
    Wait, as in "fully functional", do you mean she was laughing and cringing and stuff for awhile there? Or do you mean neutral expressions?