Page 1 of 83 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Faceless Void Rework

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Valve Developer

Question Faceless Void Rework

Hi all,

Faceless Void has won out over Viper in the Compendium model rework vote. To be honest, it was an unexpected result of the final vote even for us. Faceless Void won the votes across all regions.

We've been grappling with what to do internally for some time now and decided we need more information. So we are approaching the Dota community to gather feedback on what it is about Faceless Voidís model that people are reacting negatively to. It will help us have a good starting point as to how to approach this on our end so that we end up with something that most of the Dota community will be happy with.

We are specifically looking for information about the parts of the design that you like, and the parts you dislike and why.

-dhabih

Banned
    This is a great idea! So, do we like post our opinions? I personally would like him to be more intimidating. He seems too goofy.

For my opinion, Faceless Void has a pretty good model, i wouldn't want him to be changed too much from his original model. One thing though, i don't like his hooves. The designers give too many heroes horns and hooves, i don't like that.
    Last edited by Legion Commander; 10-10-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix. View Post
    2013: 10 heroes, 3 reworks, 4 events, hats, 1 arcana and TI
    2014: 4 heroes, 2 events, 2 arcanas, hats, 1 rework and TI.
    Lazyness. Not to mention the lack of bugfixes, and the amount of new ones with each new content added

Credits to Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion Commander View Post
    For my opinion, Faceless Void has a pretty good model, i wouldn't want him to be changed too much from his original model. One thing though, i don't like his hooves. The designers give too many heroes horns and hooves, i don't like that.
    Yeah, the hooves are kinda 'uncharacteristic' of a being that manipulates time. I would want to see void become even more mutant but without having other animals' features like for example getting his human characteristics altered after all the time manipulations he's made.

Honestly i have no idea myself how in the world you're gonna rework void without changing him too much.Anyway

I always thought the same thing, and I agree.

Basic Member
    only his arms and head appear in vision, rest are blurred except in his ulti where you can see his whole body. sounds good enough

Nothing needs to be changed, to be completely honest. I don't even understand how could he win.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J2Krauser View Post
    Nothing needs to be changed, to be completely honest. I don't even understand how could he win.
    This isn't the topic of the discussion though. Are you aware how voting works? People vote. The choice with the most votes wins. Simple.

It's no where near that simple. On reddit when the reactions were all violently coming out, there was an actual thread asking "Okay, what is wrong with Facless Void's model and why did you vote for him?"

Do you want to know what the majority response was? Generally it was this:

"There's nothing bad with him, he's my favorite among the choices and I don't play boring right click Viper."

So the entire point of the vote was missed by the majority of people, only a few of which we actually pulled a response out of by asking a ton on reddit.

So the point I'm stating here is: People didn't vote on the hero who had an appearance they were reacting negatively to. On the contrary, people voted on the hero who had a generally positive appearance. That's how Anti-Mage beat Zeus in the early stages of the vote as well.

While reddit and pro gamers are very vocal about their dislikes on certain hero models, the vast majority who voted (non reddit users and the like) voted for their favorites with the mentality: "Oh he looks great, let's make him look greater!" rather than voting to fix 'ugly' heroes, who were mostly ignored in the vote.

The entire thing is really messed up, and now you guys at Valve are going to have to remodel a hero who literally no one has a problem with and in general had 0 negative reaction.

I understand why you guys feel stuck as well, grasping for ways to improve Void's model in a satisfactory way.

Now that I think of it, perhaps you guys could release some concept art (people love seeing those drawings) for the new Void, and gather a poll. This is not the same as a vote. You could simply gain information on what players would want the most, but decide internally which qualities or changes were the most well received among the concept arts you decide to use for the poll. After that, you make the model accordingly using elements from the highest voted concepts. That way you can deliver a product everyone is happy with, and it eliminates a lot of the guess work.

While I'm on the subject, take this as an oportunity to make him appear more "time" themed. A purple humanoid isn't really much. It is mostly expressed through his items, but take it away and you're left with a humanoid with no timelike qualities, only a face that looks like a metronome. Make him fit the name "Darkterror" since you already have the facelessness taken care of. He just isn't scary. Make him even more like Bane and really bring out the lovecraftian horror he should be.
    Last edited by blindsniper; 10-10-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy81 View Post
    This isn't the topic of the discussion though. Are you aware how voting works? People vote. The choice with the most votes wins. Simple.
    Winning the vote doesn't make the result correct. Void's got one of the better models in the game as it is; everyone knows Viper is the one who REALLY did need to be changed (him and Slardar)...what with his model and animation making it look like he should really be flying backwards :/

Maybe if anything DID need changing with Void...

...nope can't think of anything.

Community dun goofed on this one.