Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: HUD mock up - Removed wasted space + optimized for widescreen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb HUD mock up - Removed wasted space + optimized for widescreen

After playing a few games the HUD is my biggest complain about the game. My monitor is fairly small (by today's standards), it's a 19" monitor with a 1440x900 resolution and the hud is just too big and is taking so much vertical space that it's more of a hindrance than help. The Warcraft 3 hud was fine back in the day because all monitors were 4:3 but for some reason valve thought the old HUD is going to work on widescreen monitors that are naturally vertically limited. Right now 16:9 users have an advantage over 16:10 and 4:3 users. Here's a screenshot of the game with the classic hud:

and here's my quick HUD mock up:

As you can see, i've removed all the gray spaces that are just taking up space and basically moved everything to the sides and made other stuff slightly smaller (I KNOW HOW MY HERO LOOKS LIKE, THANK YOU). Also, added health and mana bars to the teammates' icons.

and here's a gif for comparison:

gif comparison

Valve doesn't have to force this down everybody's throat. They can make it an option similar to tf2's mini HUD; warcraft mode or minimalistic. Alternatively, they can make everything optional; option to remove gray bars, HUD scaling, and moving the top bar to the sides. In addition, having the option to swap the map and items box would be great. Reasoning behind it is that the radiant side retreats to the lower left side and the bottom left to top right diagonal line is used more often than the lower right corner, if that makes sense.

Edit:

I also posted this on reddit and here is another suggestion:

(suggestion from MrTallgeese on reddit)

Edit:

New suggestions from BenSkysong:

Quote Originally Posted by BenSkysong View Post
    This is really good! Can you make a mock-up of the clock remained in the top-middle?
    I think it's easier to see the clock in the middle as most of us are used to it. The rest are great!
    Especially the heroes icon at the bottom. Really saved up a lot of space and more room for view.

Edit:

Here's another one to address my friend's main problem with the hud who's transitioning over to dota2 from *Gasp* LoL:

Last edited by aydin690; 02-13-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Banned
    there has been a few threads about this already.

but all in all, i think valve isn't that stupid to keep a hud that looks like from a year 1999. at least i would hope so...

oh and btw, your pics look good.

Just wanted to contribute that the HUD for playing and the HUD for casters and replays are my biggest complaints so far in playing the game.
    So much information is left out and so much takes up a gratuitous amount of screen size.

If we could zoom out a little more, all the problems you described would be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by VenomBHz View Post
    If we could zoom out a little more, all the problems you described would be solved.
    I'm sorry but that's not a real solution. That's like changing the question itself instead of answering it. The UI is clunky and super inefficient.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aydin690 View Post
    I'm sorry but that's not a real solution. That's like changing the question itself instead of answering it. The UI is clunky and super inefficient.
    Hes trolling you. Not reading the entire thread, but it is a good idea. I personally like the new UI and HUD, I don't see any significant problems with it since your aspect ratio IS already changeable. However, I must admit being able to re-size, move, and re-order your UI would be amazing.

+1 I would like to see this implemented.

Basic Member
    I'm totally agree with you. We can't easily prevent a hook lvl4 with a 1680*1050 resolution and the current HUD.

But the first idea of this topic sounds good.

You don't understand dota if you suggest this.

Quote Originally Posted by Albain View Post
    Have you forgotten the limitation of fog of war?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Albain View Post
    Then explain: why does Dota2 have to be zoomed in that much?