Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lore for our dota2 mod/level - feedback and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Basic Member

Lore for our dota2 mod/level - feedback and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Hi all!
    Me and my crew (myself and one other guy) have been working on a little dota2 mod since the workshop tools were released, I come to you with hope for feedback and thoughts for the (made up) lore surrounding the map, lore is not among my strongest qualities, so expect the written word to be: corny, grammatically incorrect, spelling mistakes etc. etc.

After digging deep in this forum to get my head around as much dota2 lore as possible I hope my efforts are not in vain,
    Anyways, here we go:

---------------
    We are here:

rivers_end_on_world_map.JPG

History:

The life at River's End has always been easy and peaceful, here everything circulated around two things; the creation of cheese, and the creation of ale. For generations the secret recipes of Brother Dom's stinky cheese and Brother Tom's potent ale has been nurtured into perfected and enjoyed by travelers and town folks.

The curse of River's End:

One season the famous Secret Shop payed the town a visit, a traveling merchant with delicate items nobody had ever seen before. Heroes came from great distance to see his shop bid on his item.
    In a hard to reach mountain pass Roshan came to wake as he could feel the presents of the Aegis.

On this particular night the Aegis was stolen by Roshan, being so close to the Cloister he could feel the delicious smell from the aging stinky cheese curing in the cellar. He could not resist the urge to munch away all night, after all the stinky cheese and potent ale he fell asleep.
    When the morning came the Shop keeper saw that his precious Aegis had been stolen; he cursed the town of River's End and pledged to the Gods to strike down whoever took his item without paying for it.

core_vista_town_banner_small.jpg

Additional Houses/buildings in River's End:

• The Freeman's Inn - The first and only Inn at River's End, cheese enthusiast and merchants from all over the realm stays here during their visit
    • The Alliance Guild Hall - Heroes are not a common sight in River's End, but every once in a while a hero takes residence in the Guild Hall while passing through
    • The Meat Hook - Butcher, the secret behind the tender and flavor full meat is said to be Brother Dom and Tom's Cheese and Ale
    • Charsi's Iron - Blacksmith, crafting and repairing,
    • Post office -
    • Puck Fairy (Brother Tom's Pub) -
    • Residential housing #1 - Home to 4 families, most likely works with either cheese or brewing
    • Healer house/ - or something similar, has mushrooms and flowers outside
    • The Cloister - Founded by brother Dom and Tom, treasurers can be found in the cellar

Noteworthy Inhabitants of River's End:

• Brother Dom - Master Cheesemaker (portrayed in the Cloister window)
    • Brother Tom - Master Brewer (portrayed in the Cloister window)
    • Gordon Freeman - Owner of The Freeman's Inn, co-founder of River's End
    • Charsi Hayes - Owner of Charsi's Iron Blacksmith, after traveling the world she setup shop in River's End

Thanks for reading!

Edit: Added the location on the dota2-world map
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by invalidnick; 01-28-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: trimmed away some fat in the text, removed old picture, added new concept paintover

Basic Member
    Nice ! I'm not a fan of written lore usually, but your map was cool so I made an effort. I really enjoyed the sword story . The beginning of the lore is a bit slow though.

"Even after the fall of the Mad Moon the life at River's End was easy and peaceful, every once in a while merchants brought news of distant battles and uncertain times in the rest of the land (or realm?). Nothing that really affected the town population"
    That's too much, at the end of this quote, I was about to give up. And then cheese (and ale ? what is the ale for though ? I guess it's just a reason for 2 merchants to be here ?)

edit: keep going, I look forward to see your map played on !

Good idea to set your map inside the dota world, loving the job so far

PS: Try to make screenshots in Fullbright or inside game it will look better

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiTi View Post
    Nice ! I'm not a fan of written lore usually, but your map was cool so I made an effort. I really enjoyed the sword story . The beginning of the lore is a bit slow though.

"Even after the fall of the Mad Moon the life at River's End was easy and peaceful, every once in a while merchants brought news of distant battles and uncertain times in the rest of the land (or realm?). Nothing that really affected the town population"
    That's too much, at the end of this quote, I was about to give up. And then cheese (and ale ? what is the ale for though ? I guess it's just a reason for 2 merchants to be here ?)

edit: keep going, I look forward to see your map played on !
    Thanks, will try to re-pace it a little, either make it a little longer, or shorten it out,

Quote Originally Posted by Noya View Post
    Good idea to set your map inside the dota world, loving the job so far

PS: Try to make screenshots in Fullbright or inside game it will look better
    Ah yeah, ingame it looks better, plus it gives a better sense of scaling, will do

Basic Member
    Hi, uploaded a version of this map on the workshop a few days ago, would really appreciate some feedback on the looks and style, i.e. if you think it fits the "dota2" lore etc.

Anyways, I've also trimmed away some dead-text in my original lore-post and added a mood concept picture (tried to delete the old pictures, but now sure how to remove them from the thread)
    A bunch of new pictures can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=381995351

Also, been thinking of a cool setting for our next project, think we will try to incorporate the Mad Moon, wish us luck! (we are going to need it )

Have a nice weekend!

Current position co-ordinates non-tracable. Unknown space.
    Hey invalidnick, your submission is looking great! The texturing, models, model placement and overall design are all quite well-done and sound. Very glad you got this out, it looks to be very popular in the workshop

Now concerning your next project; if you're in need of, or would like an additional hand to work with, I'd like to offer myself to be a part of your team. My previous project that I had been working on (and which I had to put on indefinite hiatus) was centered around the same subject; the lore of the Mad Moon. And although I likely won't be coming back to that project of mine, I'd like to participate in yours as yours will most certainly have more momentum and take off where mine had not (mostly due to me working on mine alone).

Again, great stuff!

Great stuff man ! Can't wit to see in game pics!

Also, just for curiosity, why you picked cheese?
    PAS HALL OF FAME
    Spoiler: 

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyoka View Post
    Hey invalidnick, your submission is looking great! The texturing, models, model placement and overall design are all quite well-done and sound. Very glad you got this out, it looks to be very popular in the workshop

Now concerning your next project; if you're in need of, or would like an additional hand to work with, I'd like to offer myself to be a part of your team. My previous project that I had been working on (and which I had to put on indefinite hiatus) was centered around the same subject; the lore of the Mad Moon. And although I likely won't be coming back to that project of mine, I'd like to participate in yours as yours will most certainly have more momentum and take off where mine had not (mostly due to me working on mine alone).

Again, great stuff!
    Thanks!
    Sounds good! I'll hook you up with our thoughts when we start working on it, will most likely take some time...but should start shaping up later this spring!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix. View Post
    Great stuff man ! Can't wit to see in game pics!

Also, just for curiosity, why you picked cheese?
    Just love the cheese...I love cheese!! yuuuuum! ~~~~
    There are a bunch of game screen shots in the workshop link...here is a 7 min (short) introduction to the town in the PvP version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgw7qXjohaY this is a old version, the map looks a little bit better now with proper color correction and more polish ~

Current position co-ordinates non-tracable. Unknown space.
    Quote Originally Posted by invalidnick View Post
    Thanks!
    Sounds good! I'll hook you up with our thoughts when we start working on it, will most likely take some time...but should start shaping up later this spring!

----

Awesome! Drop by my Steam profile at any time if you'd like to friend me

----

CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by invalidnick View Post
    There are a bunch of game screen shots in the workshop link...here is a 7 min (short) introduction to the town in the PvP version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgw7qXjohaY this is a old version, the map looks a little bit better now with proper color correction and more polish ~
    That shit looks great !!! and map seems quite huge. Damn muh FPS ;__;
    PAS HALL OF FAME
    Spoiler: