Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is MMR tied into non-MMR games?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrician View Post
    Then why people ruin unranked games to make their win rate less then 50% and then play ranked matches?
    Shame on them for trowing games! But yes, it was effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I didn't know this was happening. It wouldn't work anyway.
    Surprised you did not know about this simple way of increasing mmr, since you see yourself as an authority in this matter.
    I have not played ranked lately, but my tests in september did prove this was true at that time:
    • I was in a pool that limited my progress no matter how well I did (the famous retard teammates thing that idiots say it's not real(same as cheats, report ganking and other things).
    • I looked back at my games history, session by session(I do abnormal number of games in one run), and noticed that normal solo matchmaking triggered a "fortune change" after 5-6 consecutive lost games, while ranked solo matchmaking did not, I went as far as 9-10 consecutive lost games.
    • Started playing normal games, doing my best. Whenever I found myself loosing 3-4 consecutive games, I started a ranked game, most of the times being a balanced, long game, that I won. If I did too well, I would switch to normal games, If it was tryhard level, I would play another ranked game, also a win most of the times. If I pushed my luck and play a 3rd ranked game, I would mostly lose it. This normal&ranked alternate queue got me +500mmr and out of the initial trench, into very high games.

Lately I play with some low rated, flagged friends and I feel the quality of 90% of the games is abysmal, but party with other friends I get awsome long balanced games.
    And another interesting fact about mathmaking:
    - doing the above, I now have a big difference between my DBR (normal rating) and my MMR (ranked rating). It's not that normal games are easy, it's the other way around, unbalanced, leavers, lame teammates, unavoidable flaming leading to reports, cheaters..etc
    - playing Ability Draft and All Random Deathmatch modes, these non-significant modes(rating-wise) suited for advanced players(Valve's description) I get good overall games - way better than even ranked games, and the reason can't be just that people enter with a different mood. It leads me to believe that (only) these two modes are linked to MMR! (to answer OP question)

It is well known than having losing streaks makes you have easier ranked and non ranked games... it's a pity tho, I can't play ranked when I have a full green sheet cuz I know it'll suck hard

Quote Originally Posted by aveyo View Post
    Shame on them for trowing games! But yes, it was effective.

Surprised you did not know about this simple way of increasing mmr, since you see yourself as an authority in this matter.
    I have not played ranked lately, but my tests in september did prove this was true at that time:
    • I was in a pool that limited my progress no matter how well I did (the famous retard teammates thing that idiots say it's not real(same as cheats, report ganking and other things).
    • I looked back at my games history, session by session(I do abnormal number of games in one run), and noticed that normal solo matchmaking triggered a "fortune change" after 5-6 consecutive lost games, while ranked solo matchmaking did not, I went as far as 9-10 consecutive lost games.
    • Started playing normal games, doing my best. Whenever I found myself loosing 3-4 consecutive games, I started a ranked game, most of the times being a balanced, long game, that I won. If I did too well, I would switch to normal games, If it was tryhard level, I would play another ranked game, also a win most of the times. If I pushed my luck and play a 3rd ranked game, I would mostly lose it. This normal&ranked alternate queue got me +500mmr and out of the initial trench, into very high games.

Lately I play with some low rated, flagged friends and I feel the quality of 90% of the games is abysmal, but party with other friends I get awsome long balanced games.
    And another interesting fact about mathmaking:
    - doing the above, I now have a big difference between my DBR (normal rating) and my MMR (ranked rating). It's not that normal games are easy, it's the other way around, unbalanced, leavers, lame teammates, unavoidable flaming leading to reports, cheaters..etc
    - playing Ability Draft and All Random Deathmatch modes, these non-significant modes(rating-wise) suited for advanced players(Valve's description) I get good overall games - way better than even ranked games, and the reason can't be just that people enter with a different mood. It leads me to believe that (only) these two modes are linked to MMR! (to answer OP question)
    The thing is I hardly ever have a 50% win ratio, so I just don't buy any of this.

I've tracked this before and I can maintain a 65%+ win ratio over 100's of games.

Here's an old example of when I tracked this.
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...l=1#post621374
    The initial phase of that was about a 90% win ratio, through Normal rank.

I'm currently playing at about 62% over the last 100 matches or so.

I could experiment, with your idea of throwing unranked and tryharding ranked, but I'm pretty sure that it's not an open exploit. In my opinion you're just playing at your true rank and are a victim of expectation bias and confirmation bias.
    Last edited by Craig; 11-18-2014 at 04:34 AM.
    To avoid LPQ:

Don't draw attention to yourself
    Don't use voice or chat except for 'ss'
    Mute all at lvl 1
    Only play in parties
    Get alternate accounts
    Limit your usage to one or two games per day per account
    Don't play too well
    Don't play on Sunday or Monday
    Wait until the developers reset LPQ status

If you're getting matched with trolls or feeders:

You may have been placed in a hidden pool. There is no known way out of this, apart from moving to a different account.