Thread: A Possible Connection?

A Possible Connection?

Is it possible that Rubick and Silencer possess similar forms of magic? Rubick can steal an enemy's ability, while Silencer can steal Intelligence points from enemies and cause them to take damage from their own spells. In both cases we have the offspring of mages displaying magical skills centered around magic itself.

Could this "meta-magic" be the natural result of a strong magical lineage? We know Silencer is the result of deliberate breeding, while Rubick is the son of a powerful Mage. Without any info on his mother, we have nothing to suggest she was a magic-user as well; this is perhaps why Rubick's 'meta-magic' ability is limited to Spell Stealing, while Silencer has a whole skill-set based on it.

Basic Member
    Silencer doesn't really force enemies to take damage from their spells. As far as I understand from his lore, he simply silenced other mages and then defeated them using physical power, i.e by simply kicking their asses.
    Possible solution to foreigners issue
    In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war.

Basic Member
    Well I love the idea and the term which you have used. Fire magic is magic which manipulates fire, ice magic is magic which manipulates ice, meta magic is magic which manipulates... other sources of magic. Heroes like Silencer and Rubick are prime examples, there are certainly others since all silencing spells are form of meta magic, I suppose.

Regarding the possible lore implications, there is no way to know. It is more likely than not that you're trying to make sense of something that Valve overlooked and didn't really notice themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Khassar View Post
    It is more likely than not that you're trying to make sense of something that Valve overlooked and didn't really notice themselves.
    Isn't that pretty much EVERYTHING about Dota 2 canon?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Mountebank View Post
    Isn't that pretty much EVERYTHING about Dota 2 canon?
    Haha, well I guess it is. But if we don't get an explicit statement (there is this form of magic and the following types of spells fall under it) every fanmade explanation is just another possible way of introducing order into an otherwise chaotic lore. So if by possible you mean 'Would it make sense?', I would say yes, but if you mean 'Did Valve intend a connection here?', then by answer would be no.

Basic Member
    asd