Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Map design against fountain farm.

Anyone on the receiving end of fountain farming must have found it at least slightly annoying. It only gets worse, it longer it goes on. While everyone is right in saying that usually yes 99.9%, the game is over, it doesn't matter. That doesn't mean it's not annoying/rude and can be prevented.

Basic Member
    Maybe they should make the fountain more punishing? The amount of damage the fountain deals looks to me like a wc3 engine limitation.

In my opinion: the fountain should slay any enemy controlled-unit that enters it. This would allow some "post-game" meta-gaming where fountain-farmers can be humiliated as well.
    As I see it, there's no reason why fountain farming can't be somewhat fun/challenging for both sides.
    Last edited by cn.white; 03-01-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Basic Member
    My views on Fountain Farming and why there should be a way to prevent it:

1: a fracking time waster! Sure, the game may be "over", but if the team continues to fountain farm, the game will end, not "now" but in five or even ten minutes. How fun is that? Oh yea, I may grab a cup of coffee, but seriously..? Imo better to end the game faster, and then be able to play another game!
    2: simply bad manners! Fountain farming is like going for Roshan when the opposing team has lost 2 lanes, have one hero disc. and they are all dead. WHat is the point?! ... bad fracking manners.
    3: Sure, getting kills is fun, and if the team getting fountain farmed keeps "defending" by rushing out to save the ancient... killem! but to just camp outside the fountain ad wait for your pudge to hook'em or all get force staffs to push them out.... *sigh* That is what makes little school kids getting a gun and start killing people for real...

Ways to counter Fountain Farming:
    1: get wards and place outside fountain, to see where pudge will stand and hook u.

How to "upgrade" the fountain area:
    1: Simply make it a bit bigger, so that there is an area inside it "out of range" for hooks and vacuum and similar spells.
    2: wood up a little area behind the fountain, so one can hide.
    3: lock heroes that are "afk" or have disc., so that they do not get affected.

and please... Dont give me any of that "duuuh, go cry somwhere else!!, duuuh, get coffee dude, wawawa"-bullcrap... firstly, it is bad manners. secondly, it is bad manners and lastly, it is bad manners.
    I want to help making the game better. That is why I have suggested these things.

i'll stop typing now...
    Last edited by dedmau5; 03-02-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eNTe_eXe View Post
    I don't see a point in fountain farming. If they do such things, the game is pretty much over and will end in a few minutes.
    Actually, a lot of pub players like to waste time fountain farming you, forcing you to drag out the game for 5-10 more minutes just so they can get more kills. This pisses a lot of people off, as well as turning away newer players from the game. If Valve refuses to implement a surrender function, they should, at the very least, prevent fountain farming like this because it wastes valuable time.

Dota 1 was good with that, you could still fountain farm but not high as it is in Dota 2. Leaver-Locking and behind-fountain area made it balanced for me.

Basic Member
    Why does this game still doesn't have a forfeit/surrender/concede option??? This would help solve the Fontain Farming problem.

I don't need to be fountain farmed to refill my cup of tea, I can do that when I'm waiting 10 min in the game queue.

Seriously though, I don't see how "you can turn a game around once every blue moon due to stupid enemies" is an argument at all. There are plenty of good ideas on how to address this problem, many mentioned here already. Take a minute to actually read the thread before you call that no good suggestions have been made.

- Increase the depth of the fountain while increasing the fountain range to cover the new area.
    - Make the fountain meaner: Increase the damage / travel time of the fountain projectiles / split shot / ignore armor and immunities for example.
    - Make the fountain an elevated position or add LOS blockers like Roshan's pit.
    (- Allow teams to vote for forfeit, would be by far the best solution. But from what I've read, Ice opposes this heavily. Maybe he's a fountain farmer / prolonger himself.)

Edit: I know all games where fountain farming occurs isn't necessarily over. But the vast majority are. It simply wasted everyones time most of the time. I never help a teammate who dives for kills. I'll stay at the throne while trash talking my own team while they die. I've even been allowed by the enemy team to take down the throne 1v5 because my team died while I watched, doing nothing except all-chatting, as Omniknight (yes, that game was very over).
    Last edited by Berra_la; 03-30-2012 at 12:36 PM.

I have a splendid idea the devs could use with the fountain: Make it uphill.

The enemy will have no vision of you. You can still dive in as usual, could score a couple of skills but it'll be slightly harder since don't have vision of them i.e. someone has to already be in the fountain before you can target your skills.

What do you guys think?

Edit: Berra_la already said it I guess.
    Last edited by Managor; 03-30-2012 at 12:50 PM.

...and I stole it from even earlier in the thread. :-p

Basic Member
    well,vision of fountain area is not needed for fountain farming.
    enemies arent rushing in to kill them.

Fountain farming comes down to pudge's hook,vacuum,maybe some force staff uses.
    Anyway,most of the fountain farming has nothing to do with vision of the fountain,since they use spells to drag u out of fountains area,and then kill u.

sides that are acting a fance to a fountain should be made that way so spells cant go through them.
    That way,only way to fountain farm would be through that passage in the mid of it.
    So,if u dont want to get killed,u just move to a side,behind a "wall",and ur safe.And enemies have to come through mid(which is in fountains att range) to get u.