Thread: CTD; loading child of expensive .vpcf in PET while expensive .vpcf is in use in-game

Current position co-ordinates non-tracable. Unknown space.

CTD; loading child of expensive .vpcf in PET while expensive .vpcf is in use in-game

Details: A CTD occurs when attempting to load an expensive particle system's child (in this case, a child of Io's "wisp_ambient.vpcf" system) while the main parent particle system is loaded in-game (ie. when Io is spawned in the map). Simpler child or parent particles can manage to be loaded in PET (ie. "wisp_base_attack" and any child particles it has) while the main particle system is loaded in-game and can be changed/saved on demand - with the changes updating in real-time, in-game - with no issue. Loading the main particle of a particle system (ie. Io's "wisp_ambient.vpcf" ambient particle system) and then attempting to load a child system of the main system (ie. "wisp_ambient_a.vpcf") while it is loaded in-game will crash the tools almost immediately (except for the first time, which will display a "Hang" warning for some seconds before crashing).

Steps:
    • Take any expensive particle system, such as Io's ambient particles (note: know that the version of Io I am using has been modified to some extent; it contains extra particle render functions not present in the default particle system [mainly some rope particles with force generators and constraints])
    • Load any map and spawn that entity/unit which the particle system is attached to (or simply the particle system itself)
    • Load the expensive particle system in the PET (start from the "root"/main particle system, and work your way down to the child particles)
    • Attempt to load a subset/child particle system from the expensive particle system, that contains several other child particles of its own

Crash Log: crash_dota2_2015-02-04-001041_1.zip Bon appetit!

Basic Member
    Does this happen on every types of expensive particles? I tried spawning particle with sub system with total particles count over 2000 running, each with radius over 1000, i still didn't crash, although i still feel performance drop.

I think it's more about particles of different types (ropes, sprites, etc.) with many functions (force generators, initializers, operators, etc.) all attached to the main parent, with these child particles also having child particles with numerous ropes, sprites, etc. particle systems of their own.

Edit: edited main post for clarification of the steps to reproduce the crash.

Received another (delayed) CTD, possibly related to the same cause. The main offender being having the particle system loaded in-game while editing it in the PET simultaneously. Seems to be some instability issues concerning this workflow with the PET.

Crash log: crash_dota2_2015-02-04-182605_1.zip

Recently I tried to load Io's main ambient particle again in PET while also he was spawned in-game, and I received the following error in the console prior to a crash to desktop:

Code:
    [ W SceneSystem      ]: CSceneSystem::DrawMeshInstances(2455): Material materials/models/particle/sphere_solid_1.vmat cannot render in mode <unknown> but is being asked to
    Was wondering if this was related to the issue and is a recent addition (as I haven't seen this error in the console before) or if it's something else related to the issue (likely something to do with 'render models' by the looks of it). In the case that it is in fact something separate pertaining to loading an expensive particle (with a model in the particle system) while it is being used in-game here's a crash log: crash_dota2_20150615080340_1.zip

This is a confirmed to be fixed in the beta tools update.