Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 70

Thread: Requesting Pathfinding Examples

  1. #51
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1
    I played a game a couple of days ago and my Viper just couldn't decide which direction to go around some trees in the bot lane.

    Here's a soundless video of it, sorry about the camera jumping, I wanted to do it in player perspective so you could see that I only clicked once:


    And here's the dotabuff which has the match id: http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1215351484

  2. #52
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybred View Post
    I would really like an option to force pathing. Because sometimes, typically on edges, if you even slightly come close to the edge it assumes you want to be on the other side. It would be nice to have an option or hotkey to hold when you want the unit to move to that position no matter what. So if it's an edge, you run to the edge and continue to run into that edge until you manually path your way to where you need to be. I think holding CTRL or ALT while hitting a movement key would fix this. It would make juking much better along with general navigation at the most critical moments.
    I am sorry to be that guy but I think this particular case should entirely depend on your own precision. If you want your hero to move as close to the edge as possible, you have to click as close to the edge as possible. Having an option which makes your unit move until it hits an obstacle and stop automatically would ruin a lot of what makes micro-skills. Juking is supposed to be something tricky, not just on the mind-game level but execution as well. A missclick is a missclick and will kill you.

    Now, obviously the pathfinding needs to be working perfectly for that and this entire thread shows there is much to improve there but adding a completely new movment-option to make things easier is not a fix.

  3. #53
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by kgd149 View Post
    In some of the videos, the only problem is right clicking to the minimap mistakenly. If there is an option to disable right-clicking to mini-map, most of the problems will be solved.
    Done in 4th Feb update. Works so now have it on toggle because sometimes I do want to click on the map.
    - Added a new convar to disable right clicks on minimamp (dota_minimap_disable_rightclick)
    Still a newbie.
    After winning my last match I decided to throw my ball into the crowd like you see the pro's doing on TV
    Apparently this behavior isn't acceptable in tenpin bowling.

  4. #54
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1
    Game ID 1218430943

    I'm pretty sure my recollection of this is pretty accurate. At ~16:15, I'm controlling an illusion in bottom lane as Troll Warlord. At ~16:20, I issue a CTRL-click (select all units) and path to the right. My illusion is walking right, but suddenly decides to start walking left. I notice this and correct it.

    Note that I'm not talking about when both units walked left after an a-click that aggro'd to the camp Axe was taking, but very shortly after.

    I'm not sure if this is what you want, but the Reddit post linking to this thread reminded me about it.

  5. #55
    Bizarre pathing bug near trees, can't figure out how to reproduce it unfortunately.

    Match ID: 1215252459
    Time: 17:50
    Video: http://a.pomf.se/cjrfck.mp4

  6. #56
    Basic Member TheCell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    208
    dota2://matchid=1220292255&matchtime=260

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMIu...ature=youtu.be

    That extrea round is a pathfinding issue I guess

  7. #57
    Is it possible with path finding to hold down the right click button and draw a path which you wish to navigate, for example if your fleeing an enemy and the incoming creep wave is going to block you, you could keep spamming your right click to slightly alter your path or you could right click and quickly draw a small detour around the creep wave. this should also work for sneaking up on enemies as you would be able to pre set your path? Does this seem like a viable idea?

  8. #58
    Basic Member Hybred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymen View Post
    I am sorry to be that guy but I think this particular case should entirely depend on your own precision. If you want your hero to move as close to the edge as possible, you have to click as close to the edge as possible. Having an option which makes your unit move until it hits an obstacle and stop automatically would ruin a lot of what makes micro-skills. Juking is supposed to be something tricky, not just on the mind-game level but execution as well. A missclick is a missclick and will kill you.

    Now, obviously the pathfinding needs to be working perfectly for that and this entire thread shows there is much to improve there but adding a completely new movment-option to make things easier is not a fix.
    Juking is second nature to me. I'm a bit over 5k and have been playing for over a decade. It's not about precision, it's about the game prioritizing 'best' routes over what your best option is. It's especially bad when you are trying to juke an opponent who is blocking your path but you cannot see them in fog of war. I want to move forward, I KNOW the guy is there, let me move, stop trying to jerk me around because the game knows there's someone there and the faster route is the other way. Do you have a point regarding skill and learning curve regarding pathing, but the times where you need it to work most it blind sides you in the worst possible way. I wish i had examples, but they come up so few and between it's hardly worth noting. But they are definitely worth adding a modifier hotkey to force the route because when I need it, I >NEED< it.
    Last edited by Hybred; 02-09-2015 at 03:11 PM.

  9. #59
    Basic Member Bashtime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybred View Post
    Juking is second nature to me. I'm a bit over 5k and have been playing for over a decade. It's not about precision, it's about the game prioritizing 'best' routes over what your best option is. It's especially bad when you are trying to juke an opponent who is blocking your path but you cannot see them in fog of war. I want to move forward, I KNOW the guy is there, let me move, stop trying to jerk me around because the game knows there's someone there and the faster route is the other way. Do you have a point regarding skill and learning curve regarding pathing, but the times where you need it to work most it blind sides you in the worst possible way. I wish i had examples, but they come up so few and between it's hardly worth noting. But they are definitely worth adding a modifier hotkey to force the route because when I need it, I >NEED< it.
    Exactly my thoughts, most noticable in chokepoints with the enemy being in fog of war.
    <-- My work is done, if this gets implemented
    Also: つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Soloqueue!
    Need some incentive to start a match of dota?
    http://getdotastats.com/sig/87346642.png
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post
    Valve has abandoned the game! The game is now safe to leave.
    No statistics will be recorded.

  10. #60
    Volunteer Moderator CvP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybred View Post
    I would really like an option to force pathing. Because sometimes, typically on edges, if you even slightly come close to the edge it assumes you want to be on the other side. It would be nice to have an option or hotkey to hold when you want the unit to move to that position no matter what. So if it's an edge, you run to the edge and continue to run into that edge until you manually path your way to where you need to be. I think holding CTRL or ALT while hitting a movement key would fix this. It would make juking much better along with general navigation at the most critical moments.
    This please.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •