Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: More Pathing Feedback

Valve Developer

More Pathing Feedback

Thank you for all your responses to the request for pathfinding test cases. We've made some systemic changes to the pathfinder which will be in tomorrow's public test build. Some of the changes are experimental in nature, so if you could test tomorrow's build and give feedback on the pathfinding in this thread that would be very helpful.

Thank you!

Previous thread link: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=154990

@ everyone: Let's keep the thread on point and provide feedback when the patch is released instead of general chatter.

Basic Member
    Can anyone tell me how big the test client is currently? I just built a new computer and I'm wondering if it's worth the download on my drive.

Basic Member
    There are a bunch of issues with pathfinding involving Broodmother's web placed around cliffs. I've had spiders caught in loops of walking back and forth... not sure if that's what you're looking for here though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nngafook View Post
    Often when I'm moving from the top rune to bottom rune, my hero gets stuck at the steps by the top rune. Video below. First half is player perspective, second half is the hero getting stuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P-H...ature=youtu.be
    This still happens with the new patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Noo View Post
    I reported this before and it got fixed, it was much more broken. http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=149061

You can notice Slark stopping for a very little time around the corners of the tower, easily noticeable around the dropped item and the tree.

This as well.

Made this video in case anyone would like to see some of the changes made to the pathing without having to download the test client.
    Last edited by iTKallday; 02-11-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Basic Member
    I posted the suggestion to change the pathing in trees.

i really like that you listened to this.
    if i now follow an enemy in trees and right click behind him my hero will walk until the next obstacle comes and then tries to find a new path.
    that's a really nice change and makes chasing finally more easy.
    thank you guys.

Reading the previous and current threads has been quite insightful. Thank you Jeff and all the contributors for looking into this issue!!!
    Last edited by xpoizone; 02-11-2015 at 01:43 PM.

I think this Techies bug is possibly pathfinding related?

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=155367

It seems like Techies may stop in a spot that's just outside the cast range of the spell. Perhaps some issue where the pathfinder thinks he's in range when he's actually not?

If so, this should affect other spells as well... [Edit] Aha! I was able to reproduce this also with some more ground targeted spells:

Death Prophet crypt swarm:

Alchemist acid spray:

Last edited by Fizz; 02-12-2015 at 08:48 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGester View Post
    Not sure if that's a bug at all, but I see this every time I'm trying to choke-point jungle, looks strange

http://a.pomf.se/nbgqgn.webm

Works with any camp with multiple melee units
    "Still the same spark" Ember Sport

Basic Member
    In this match: dota2://matchid=1233337669&matchtime=2713

At 41:40 I (the troll warlord) was just outside the mid tier 3 ramp, and right clicked to walk up the ramp, but he just stood there not moving. I assume he was waiting for the morphling to walk past, but the morphling was quite a distance away and I could have easily walked before him as you can see in the first screenshot.

Then when the morphling was right in front of me I right clicked up the ramp again and my hero turned around (screenshot 2) then ran down a little bit before doubling back.

Edit: I watched the replay from morphling's perspective, and it seems him right clicking right in front of me is what caused me to stop moving.

Last edited by Larwood; 02-13-2015 at 02:44 AM.