Thread: Sven is Guts from the manga Berserk

Cool Sven is Guts from the manga Berserk

So Berserk is a very popular manga, I just noticed how similar Sven is from Guts:

Both use huge named swords and cleave:
    Spoiler: 

Sven's sword - Outcast Blade
    Guts' sword - Dragonslayer

Both left arms fire a projectile:
    Spoiler: 

Sven - Magical Gauntlet
    Guts - Cannon Arm

Both are alone: Sven's response, Guts as the Blackswordsman
    Both are haunted: Sven pissed off the Vigil Knights while Guts is haunted by the holy iron chain knights, demons and evil spirits.
    Both have inner rage: Sven god's strength, Guts berserker mode.

Heck even Sven's suggested item Mask of Madness, has an active skill called Berserk which gives attack/move speed at the cost of increase damage intake while Guts has his berserker armor that gives him great strength and agility but puts strain to his body.

There are even who thought of making cosmetics(but won't to avoid copyright) and cosmetics of Sven almost identical to Guts(black armor and Dragonslayer-like sword):
    Spoiler: 

Some even made fan art:
    Last edited by Judirek; 02-23-2015 at 03:40 PM.

I like your passion. But no man. This is a character ripped from some blizzard property like all the others. There's no precedent for items themed after manga/anime. Berserk is a work of art, and i wouldn't enjoy seeing it in dota. It's the wrong fit.
    That all being said i would buy this set the instant it became available. If it were even possible.
    Spoiler: 
    I guard the rear.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Assguard View Post
    I like your passion. But no man. This is a character ripped from some blizzard property like all the others. There's no precedent for items themed after manga/anime. Berserk is a work of art, and i wouldn't enjoy seeing it in dota. It's the wrong fit.
    That all being said i would buy this set the instant it became available. If it were even possible.
    Lina?

well, this isnt a character ripped from blizard, in blizzard lore, sven is just a demon creep, nothing less nothing more

Anyway, they really look like much, I would not be surprised if Sven were a little based on it, as the Icefrog is a little fanboy of Asians

Actually, as reminded in the obvious case of Lina above, I've noticed a fair ammount of manga/anime influences, as well as influences from other different kinds of franchises like even the cardgame Magic: The Gathering on Dota overall (Cloak of the Planeswalker).

Nice cues from the OP about the design similarities between Sven and Guts. One that always gets me and I think it might also be a reference to Berserk is Puck, the Fairie Dragon, even though their designs are quite different. Although Puck might most commonly be a reference to the mythologic and mischievous Celtic nature sprites (which also reminds Dota's Puck a bit), Puck is the name of one of Berserk's fairies and Guts's travel companion.

Puck in Berserk:

Some of my other random thoughts, most it's probably just me finding non-intended similarities: the Radiance's sword image in its icon reminds me of the Dragon Slayer sword design; Shadow Fiends old model with the feline-esque skull reminded me of Zodd (specially when he ulted and bolted his dark wings); Shadow Demon's design reminds me of SkullKnight with the skull and spiked shoulder attire (it's a popular general design) though it's Chaos Knight that reminds me just a bit in a functional way, with the Reality Rift and dimensional stuff that SkullKnight starts to employ later on in Berserk. Plus, they both have kickass mounts.

Zodd
    Spoiler: 

SkullKnight
    Spoiler: 

Well, in the end, there's nothing wrong about "ripping" stuff from Berserk I guess. Demon's and Dark Souls did just that and look how great it turned out.

I'm surprised no one has submitted a cosmetic of Sven with Daedalus mounted on his left arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Judirek View Post
    I'm surprised no one has submitted a cosmetic of Sven with Daedalus mounted on his left arm.
    Wow, that would actually be quite sick and a very creative idea. Never realized that even Sven's core build evoked aspects of the armament of Guts.

Also forgot to mention Grunbeld and DK for other similar character designs in dota and Berserk.

This guy not only has the armor motif but also transforms into a fire breathing Dragon (or Dragon apostle to be more precise).

Basic Member
    I have credible evidence that Sven is actually inspired by Naruto.

Here's Naruto with his pet cow. Looks similar to Sven doesn't it?
    Last edited by testuser8; 03-01-2016 at 10:19 AM.