Thread: Game is not smooth on Ubuntu 14.10

Basic Member

Unhappy Game is not smooth on Ubuntu 14.10

My configuration is Intel i5, 8GB, SSD, GeForce 750 Ti, Ubuntu 14.10 x86_64.
    On Windows 7/8/10 (technical preview) game runs smoothly on 60 FPS with maximum quality settings.
    On Ubuntu 14.10 I see small, but annoying "lags" (animations and, especially, screen scrolling are not smooth), while FPS is constantly high enough (60 on 750 Ti). The problem can be reproduced on both graphic cards (i5 embedded and 750 Ti with latest official nVidia drivers).
    I can't say it's hard to play with this lags (they are really small, but perceptible), but it's uncomfortable after playing with smooth picture on Windows.
    Is there any solution for this problem?

Basic Member
    I kinda solved that by putting the camera speed and camera deceleration on lowest.

The deceleration doesn't seem like something that would affect continuous scrolling yet it made a pretty big difference.

I'm not really sure what's happening. When dragging the map with middle click the panning is perfectly smooth even with fast mouse sweeps, yet edge panning remains slightly jittery.

edit : I'm only speaking for the map scrolling smoothness, I'm not really sure what issue you're seeing with animations.
    Last edited by hirsute; 03-08-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Basic Member
    Sounds like the scheduler can't get back to the game in time so the frame gets drawn later than it should. This could be helped by making your kernel more preemptive AKA lower latency. Basically kernel operations can be interrupted/suspended to deal with user programs. I am not sure exactly how this is done on ubuntu as I think it is not preemptive and has a slower timer by default. Correct me if I am wrong. I don't know too much about ubuntu so I can't tell you exactly what to apt-get but take a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...RealTimeKernel

From the link you should look into "-lowlatency kernel" or "-preempt kernel". At a glance I would choose "-lowlatency kernel".
    The realtime kernels can actually break things if you don't know what you are doing.
    Last edited by X75; 03-27-2015 at 11:06 AM.