Thread: Hope I'm posting in the right spot (HUD development question)

Basic Member

Question Hope I'm posting in the right spot (HUD development question)

Hello everyone. I am currently developing a new HUD skin which I would like to release to the steam workshop. This is my first time working with your HUD template and I would like to know why I cant save my work. The hud template file is locked and when I try saving the entire psd file to another name it works fine until I update the skin. once I make changes the skin wont update in the main PSD. Can anyone answer this? I dont do the whole thing in one shot due to time constaints so it would be nice if I could pick up where I left off in photoshop. I'm running CS5. any help would be appreciated.

On another note.. I made my own day/night icon and when I try saving it it asks me to save it as a photoshop file instead of updating the HUD template. I noticed when I remove the original image and replace it with my own PNG it works though. Do i need to keep the original layers in photoshop from the HUD template or can I remove them once I've worked them over? I know its alot to ask, and I thank you for your reply.

MJ
    Last edited by 1ntens1ty; 03-17-2015 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling error

Current position co-ordinates non-tracable. Unknown space.
    Hey 1ntens1ty. Certain elements of the HUD that Valve provides with the PSD are 'smart objects'. These elements, although dynamic, cannot contain multiple layers which unfortunately means if you try to save them, they end up being separate to the main PSD file (and thus do not update on the main HUD PSD file). What you can do to circumvent this is create a separate PSD file with the dimensions and properties of the element you're working on, and use it as a reference/workplace for the final (flattened, 1-layer) image that the element requires. This means with the day/night icon, for example, you can only have a maximum of 1 layer. This also includes hidden layers, so you cannot have one shown layer and multiple hidden ones for reference. You'll need to create a separate file to compile your finished work onto 1 layer (as mentioned above) if you don't want to lose your layers, in case you need to edit them further.

Basic Member
    thanks for the reply Toyoka.

I have no problem flattening out the layers once I've completed skinning over the default images and saving them in the original template file. That leaves the question... How do i go about saving the original template PSD file so I can continue working where I left off? It is write protected. Right now I have to start over every time I want to work on it and lose all my progress.

I have saved a copy of the template to a new PSD file which does show the updated skins in the main view. but when I try and update other elements it doesn't update the template. it asks me to save it as a separate psd file and the template doesn't update with the new skins anymore. Hope I explained it properly.

Do I need to use the script provided to export all the images I make only when I have the final product? Or do I use it after every skin is created? Sorry im new to this. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ntens1ty View Post
    thanks for the reply Toyoka.

I have no problem flattening out the layers once I've completed skinning over the default images and saving them in the original template file. That leaves the question... How do i go about saving the original template PSD file so I can continue working where I left off? It is write protected. Right now I have to start over every time I want to work on it and lose all my progress.
    No problem! You'll have to "Save As" the template as a separate PSD. It is 'write protected' so that you do not accidentally overwrite it (for reference purposes). Just save the template PSD with a new name and you should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by 1ntens1ty View Post
    I have saved a copy of the template to a new PSD file which does show the updated skins in the main view. but when I try and update other elements it doesn't update the template. it asks me to save it as a separate psd file and the template doesn't update with the new skins anymore. Hope I explained it properly.
    This is because some of your elements contain more layers than they can hold. Look over the layers of your elements and make sure you only have 1 layer. Also make sure you are editing the elements through "Edit contents" (right-click the layer in the main .PSD and select "Edit contents" to open a separate window for that element).

Hope that helps!

Basic Member
    Awesome. thanks for the insight. Much appreciated. I'll just flatten the layers after i'm done working on them and work in the new PSD file I already saved.

Big thanks again!

It is my pleasure! If you have any more questions or need any more help, don't hesitate to ask

Basic Member
    I had one more question. some of the elements are png files. sometimes when Im done working on them and trying to save they ask to save as a seperate file. i have flattened all the layers and have no hidden ones. Any thoughts?

Edit: I am also using the edit contents option in the original HUD
    Last edited by 1ntens1ty; 03-19-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Basic Member
    Sorry for the double post. It seems I have to flatten the image aand remove the white BG for it to work on this particular image.. weird...

Basic Member
    I also have another problem i cant figure out. Im updating the portrait portion of the HUD (I haven't change the dimensions or position) And on the template preview it doesn't line up properly. It's always a few pixels off. Any idea what this could be?

What part of it is a few pixels off? Is it misaligned with the rest of the HUD? I know that if you want to blend it with the spacers, you need to do some trial and error to line it up. Not sure why it would be misaligned with the HUD itself though :S