Thread: March of the Machines targeting

March of the Machines targeting

So, in DotA, Tinker's MotM was one of the trickiest skills to target properly. The robots would appear from somewhere behind and aim for the final destination at the point the player chose. That wasn't very obvious, but pretty soon, it was easy to get the mechanics and farm entire lanes with this skill. More importantly, it could turn entire ganks into reverse ganks, with two overlapping MotM's and a missile pack bringing your enemies down quite quickly.

In Dota 2, however, it uses a different targeting system, where the click-point only chooses the direction, and the machines always appear from behind the Tinker. While this does sound quite useful and less edgy than the original, it makes counterpushing and counterganking waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay harder, and isn't that easy to get used to after playing the original Tinker.

So, is it intended?

Repro:
    1: Learn March of the Machines.
    2: Click on the ground.

Effect:
    The machines appear from behind the hero and make their way to the final destination.

Expected:
    The machines appear somewhere behind the hero and make their way to the pointed destination.

Basic Member
    Pretty sure MotM has always been spawning in fixed square based on Tinker's facing (which he turns to the point you cast it) and never this...shape you mention.

Care to post a video showing what this 'expected' shape is supposed to be like?
    Every time someone make a false report.
    Making people's losses feel worse with just my name (don't ask me how it work, I certainly don't)

Currently observed Orb(Unique Attack Modifiers), Critical, and Bash interactions for DotA2

To:
    People who cry MM isn't fair: Maybe you're not as great as you make yourself to be.
    People who wants surrender: It exists, but I'm not teaching you how to do it.

Well, i will try to find something, but there may be something wrong with me. Anyway, originally, the best way to use MotM would be:
    1: Turn your back to the creeps, keeping a 45o angle.
    2: Use MotM on the ground somewhere ahead of the Tinker.
    3: The machines spawn right behind the enemy's ranged creeps, guaranteeing a laneswish.

And when i tried to do so in Dota 2, the machines spawned from right from behind the hero, hardly hitting the melee creeps.

Needless to say, i looked like a real dumbass.

Now, the targeting system works in a much more player-friendly "face the creeps and click where you want" way.

Basic Member
    I have no idea what you're trying to say, but there are two changes from DotA to Dota2:

1. Machines don't (always?) die on first collision (might only die when hitting heroes? not 100% sure)
    2. The forward traveling range is further away and the spawn location is closer by Tinker

What 2. means is that, where in DotA the most efficient method was to cast MotM backwards so they would hit the creeps as soon as possible, in Dota2 you can't relyably do so due to the lower range. It usually becomes a better idea to cast MotM forwards or sideways to get the maximum range.

I think that in DotA, Tinker is at the center of the square (or retangle?) that is the AoE of MotM, whereas in Dota2 he's moved closer to the spawn point and further from the final point.

That's pretty much what i'm talking about. So, is it a bug or an intended feature?

By the way, i'd never seen a robot survive his first explosion. Dunno where would you see that.

Confirm. It's very annoying

Basic Member
    It might be a visual glitch but I always see the bots move through lane creeps.

Banned
    I only played a little dota 1 but I think march worked pretty much exactly the way it does in dota 2. Are you saying the machines should form a triangle, all moving to a single point?

I believe this image illustrates what the op is trying to say. In dota 1 tinker has a longer effective range on his motm due to his off-center position in the aoe.
    tinker.jpg

I noticed that thing also, and im a hardcore tinker luver, it should be fixed and made like it was in dota1. That "backwards" MoTm was his trademark.
    I used to be an adventurer like you, then i took an arrow in the knee.