Thread: [REQUEST] Replicated camera CVARs and Scaleform Mouse Positioning

Basic Member

[REQUEST] Replicated camera CVARs and Scaleform Mouse Positioning

Hello,

I have recently begun attempting to create a 3rd person shooter custom game, and have run into a couple specific issues which I have found no workaround for, and hope that it may be possible to get changes to the tools/engine to address these issues.

Replicated camera CVARs
    I'm not sure why, but certain camera cvars which seems like they should be entirely client controlled are being replicated by the server/host player. These cvars include most importantly "dota_camera_yaw" and "dota_camera_pitch_max". Because of this replication, it is impossible to have the host player in a listen server as an active player using an adjustable camera, as any camera rotation adjustments they make are mirrored to other players, causing the game to be unplayable. Due to this issue, the only way to play my 3rd person shooter game currently is to have the game hosted by someone in a spectator or broadcaster role so that they don't ruin the camera of individual players.

I think that the fix here should be as easy as disabling the replication for these cvars, particularly since I can't think of a good reason why they need to be replicated in the first place.

Scaleform Mouse Positioning/Lock
    In order to create the 3rd person camera system I use a MOUSE_MOVE event in scaleform to manage the camera yaw and pitch. Unfortunately, when the hidden mouse cursor reaches the edge of the screen, I can no longer detect motion further in that direction, causing the camera to have an effective maximum "turnability", which is confusing to players that are used to normal 3rd/1st person cameras that can be rotated indefinitely.

ActionScript3 supports a Stage.mouseLock property which locks the mouse to the center of the screen and changed the MOUSE_MOVE event to provide a mouse movement/delta instead of an absolute position. If it is possible to enable this system in scaleform, I could use it to solve my problem, though I recognize that this may not be a simple task.

Additionally, it is not possible via any scaleform API call or Globals/gameAPI that I am aware of to change the position of the mouse cursor on the stage, which I could also potentially use to simulate a mouseLock. This could also potentially be used in certain UI actions by mod developers, and is something I imagine might be possible as a GameInterface call (something like globals.GameInterface.SetCursorPosition(stageX, stageY) would be dynamite). On that note, globals.GameInterface.HideCursor() and globals.GameInterface.ShowCursor() do not seem to functional at all, though the "dota_hide_mouse" cvar is.

Thanks for your consideration on this matter,
    --BMD

I really hope this gets attention in the next tools update (this month?), it has a lot of potential.

Edit: Time since last workshop tools patch: 4 Months, 11 Days, 15 Hours, 15 Minutes, 6 Seconds, 762597 Microseconds
    Last edited by Noya; 06-02-2015 at 07:59 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noya View Post
    (this month?)

(this month?)

(this month?)

Basic Member
    this month?

THIS month