Thread: Ability draft shuffling heroes between teams based on their primary attribute

Basic Member

Ability draft shuffling heroes between teams based on their primary attribute

All lovers of ability draft, I have a suggestion so that starting heroes that all teams get become less "random":Shuffle heroes so that each team gets (if possible) 1 str, 1 agi and 1 intellect hero, or at least, some normal distribution of str/agi/int heroes. This way, you are balancing the "3-4, if possible 5 agi/str/int" starting team, which, when present, pretty much means that no matter what spells you take, you are going to win/lose, or get punished for picking majority of spells very harshly. I understand that this suggestions has some problems, all of which i will gladly hear in the comments (if there will be some , but i really have no idea how else to do the balancing for random heroes you get. As i remember, someone suggested a "hero pick" before ability pick, which is also a good idea, but it will make ad, which has a long starting time even longer, so i think that idea, albeit good, needs some working on (as does this one). If this is already implemented in AD (i haven't noticed that it is) then please delete this thread.

Also, sorry for bad english.

I don't see how that kind of distribution would make any difference. There are str heroes with better int and gain than int heroes, or int heroes with better agi and gain than agi heroes, etc. This won't make any noticable difference.
    Please, just call me buny.

Basic Member
    Or sort heroes by how good they are (good, average or crap) and distribute them evenly to each team.

For example,
    Good: Axe, Kunkka, Mirana, Death Prophet, Drow, Centaur, Juggernaut
    Average: Crystal Maiden, Lina, Venomancer, Pudge
    Crap: Zeus, Batrider, Zeus, Clinkz, Zeus, Weaver, Zeus

Basic Member
    Yeah, this seemed like a good idea on paper, but as bu3ny stated it, it really won't make that much of a difference if you sort heroes based on primary attribute. I like the idea of sorting them by some kind of filter, but the questions still remains how to do that sorting:Based on what? Attack animation? Stats gain? Base damage? I agree that some heroes are bad no matter what you get (Papa Zeus ftw ^^) but since this is ad,some things that are pretty useless might prove to be rather useful in this mod (ex. base hp regen from nyx assassin, or night vision of slark), but yeah, some sort of "hero grading" does sound like a good thing.

Basic Member
    This is something hard to implement and I don't really like the idea of of playing a game where every single time someone gets screwed in the team by luck. I mean it'll happen more often so people who tend to leave when they're screwed will happen more often.

The problem is not the heroes you get but the limited choice you have. I've seen many times riki being on the end of first queue without any good combos left for him being miserable whole game. I think the bigger pool of heroes/skills to pick from is what could fix this problem. At this point if you get a weak melee hero and can't build a proper combo you end up being useless. 24 heroes in the pool of skills should give you plenty of alternate options to make a working build and reduce the disproportions of the mode.

Also volvo doesn't care and bu3ny sole and only mission in this realm is to prevent us from rioting about the state of ability draft so the dota2 dev team can sit there and make more hats

Basic Member
    Hey, i like those hats

But yeah, AD is a fun mod and that's what it always will be. Unless something is game-breaking (DWS,Aftershock-mana shield), i don't see them balancing this mod any time soon.I remember the time it took them to remove Meepo:It felt like a goddamn eternity...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by What3010 View Post
    But yeah, AD is a fun mod and that's what it always will be.
    That depends on whether picking system gets balanced or not. Currently it's like playing random draft with pool of 12 heroes where the last player would get to choose from the worst 3 heroes left.

Because people treating the mode like fun only think this way valve doesnt care about fixing the problem at the core which is the picking system. I've played numerous matches where the pool and heroes were randomed in a way the game got many times more tactical than standard modes when most of the players do stuff automatically according to the hero they play. Unless people understand the potential of this mode then its doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by What3010 View Post
    Unless something is game-breaking (DWS,Aftershock-mana shield), i don't see them balancing this mod any time soon.I remember the time it took them to remove Meepo:It felt like a goddamn eternity...
    Valve also neglects those problems too. Guys who dig the source already tested that fixing stuff like moon glaives was easy by adding missing default properties to melee and that was like a year ago.