Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Names and titles

Translator
    i think it would be better to say the other part of the hero when it's picked, like Clockwerk, when it's picked he says Rattletrap instead of Clockwerk

When picked it should call it's "Rank" Clockwork Goblin, Goblin Tinker, Rogue Knight, but they should still have names....

Basic Member
    One name should be enough.

Dota 2 will be played by a lot of players who have never played the original DotA.
    While some veterans will probably feel nostalgic for the multiple names patterned after Warcraft 3, setting up a standard name for each hero is the best way for the game.

Sven shall be Sven. His lore and dialogue would be enough to reveal that he is a Rogue Knight.

As for which name should be used - choose the most memorable / most iconic name for that hero.
    Last edited by slugonice; 09-22-2011 at 01:00 AM.

by going for Sven, the Rogue Knight instead of just sven.... it's easier for oldfags to teach newfags

Basic Member
    Some of the titles work well on their own, like Broodmother, THE Broodmother, she's one of a kind but at the same time she's not human so not having a name works fine, but it really feels weird to have Shadow Shaman or Witch Doctor without an actual name(I mean these aren't even really titles, sounds more like professions, "eh what you up to? Well I'm aiming to become a witch doctor I'll be graduating in 2years now"). Crystal Maiden ends up between both, while it's a strong sounding title that works alright, but there's no mention of her actual name in hers or Lina's lore, instead she's mentionned as Crystal Maiden in both too, which sounds pretty weird.

While I can see why some names won't be able to be taken(Furion Stormrage being a WC3/WoW/Blizzard name for example), some others aren't quite as obvious(Rylai, is it because Guinsoo claimed it first in LoL or has special rights on it?). Either way, I feel every hero should be given a name assuming it fits for the lore, even if the name is slightly/completely different from the name in dota1. Then the picks and so on should only refer to their title, but their lore should refer to their names.

So you'd pick The Slayer, but the lore part would still refer to her as Lina. You could still not have to name creatures such as Broodmother, but you'd probably want to name Vengeful Spirit to give her interesting lore(she's probably the spirit of someone right, and that someone had a name). And yes that'd mean some names wouldn't fit when dota1 player say "focus furion" but furion was actually renamed to Pepito the Nature's Prophet because you couldn't use Furion, but if you want to build some solid lore I feel that's a problem you'd have to deal with.

Say what you want about LoL being a shitty game, they created some pretty interesting world, with multiple factions being on the verge of war but their champions fighting on the "Field of Justice" to try to solve the issues in a "pacific" way, and some champions having their own agendas and so on. Each champion has a pretty indepth story that ties in with other champions especially when they come from the same country and every week there's some kind of fake publication(Journal of Justice) which only point is narrating what happens in the world of LoL between the various champions and countries outside the map. Wars, intrigues, parties, alliances and so on. Also everytime they add a new champion(which is every 2weeks and most of the time some stupid tanky melee with no inherent weakness besides being slightly worse than the one they added before and just buffed, but I disgress), they do some special introduction thingie where they show the memories of that champion and why they're motivated to fight for their cause. This is separate and a lot better written than the actual lore you can read when picking the champion.

So yeah, assuming you want strong lore, in my opinion naming almost everything is going to be necessary. Some like Broodmother or Sand King maybe not, but you can't have humanoids/humans without names unless there's specifically something in the lore about it(Venomancer, unknown guy who morph into some monster and lose all traces of humanity, doesn't need an actual name).

Apart from most things Pyros mentioned I also think that the titles and names and their fun names were quite a unique element of DotA and it should be retained in DOTA2

Just another day.

Basic Member
    I wholeheartedly support that both names and titles should be there for all heroes. Titles are necessary so we can abbreviate them and call misses, names on the other hand are key for flavor reasons and it is also obvious that some heroes (like Pudge obviously) are known with their names rather than their titles.

Noone wants to say "Mirana miss", they say "PotM miss" (even with the copyright issue!) and I personally much rather call Dazzle sp, sven rk, puck fd and so on.

Having said this, the current HUD doesn't accomodate to these kinds of needs very well since it's so tiny. Some changes are in order.

Edit: They also seem to have some idea for names for those who have only titles - or at least Clockwerk shouts "Rattletrap here" upon selecting him as your hero. Rattletrap obviously being his name from Dota 1.

I would like to see name + title, but i don't mind it as it is now either.

Basic Member
    Its a hard decision to make.
    I personally would like to remain with a name and a title. Chair kinda listed why. Not every hero is known by its title, but some are. Same with the names.
    Losing one of em would make it easier for newcomers, but ppl alrdy mentioned that if Sven would only remain the Rogue Knight, some of the old guys still would call him Sven..
    Thats why I think only taking a name or a title wouldnt make it easier at all. Its easier to learn something you can read on the screan than to google the names dota2 heroes had in dota1...

Basic Member
    I strongly disagree with having only 1 name. First off, the titles usually are more descriptive of the hero, so if we're gonna keep one then definitely keep the titles.

Drow Ranger
    Stealth Asassin
    Juggernaut
    Rogue Knight
    Witch Doctor
    Enigma
    etc..

That being said, names give a character personality, with titles serve the practical purpose of referring to a hero. Simply make the title more prominent. You don't even need to show the name in game other than in hero selection, but make sure its there somewhere. If you are gonna make a lore that people will want to write fan fiction and cosplay as, you're gonna need names.

Focus on titles in-game, keep the names somewhere less prominent.