Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Names and titles

Names and titles

As we all know heroes in Dota have names and titles. Sometimes one element hardly matters, for instance Warlock's name Demnok Lannik is completely irrelevant. But most of the time both elements belong together.

Even Sven who is solely referred to as Sven by everybody provides a great deal of information and character traits through his title Rogue Knight. Slardar's unused tittle tells us he is a guard which he has ultimately become in Dota 2. Same goes the other way round, if the title of the hero becomes the primarily referred to element like Axe, the name still makes people feel attached to the hero Mogul Kahn. And many people switch between name/title freely like for Lanaya/TA (Templar Assassin).

In most cases I wouuld hate to drop one element. I want both. And frequently the heroes need both.

I would prefer a clear destinction between names and titles in the pick screen and a fixed place to look up the other element.
    Example:
    - for picking heroes it always shows the title
    - the name is always displayed first in the hero description before the title is repeated: N'aix the Lifestealer, Nevermore the Shadow Fiend, Sven the Rogue Knight, Traxex the Drow Ranger, etc.

And we can also come up with new names if we have reason to change one element.

I'd like to see some consistency. Some heroes are named after their titles while others are named after their names in DotA. Like Kunkka is a name, but Sniper is a title.
    I think names would be much more fitting to use in many cases, like when they are picked and call out their own name, but titles are needed too to describe the heroes. Personally i think its a little lame that some heroes call out their title when getting picked. I imagine Messi call out "football player" to taunt his opponents, or Aragorn shout "Ranger" when charging the Nazgul.

I agree there AT LEAST needs to be some consistency. Either use BOTH, the title, or the name, but don't mix them up.

I disagree completely with consistency. Players aren't consistent about which they use to refer to the hero, so I see no reason to pick the less used one for the sake of consistency and confuse all the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    I disagree completely with consistency. Players aren't consistent about which they use to refer to the hero, so I see no reason to pick the less used one for the sake of consistency and confuse all the players.
    The players might not be consistent in how they refer to heroes, but the game certainly is. In DotA 1 ALL heroes are labelled by their hero title in the taverns (except for Pudge, but that looks more like a mistake than intention), when picked the message which says "player xxx has chosen..." ALWAYS displays the hero title. And then the UI displays the name on the top and the title in the xp line.

The players can easily decide on their own how they want to refer to heroes just like they have always done. That actually shows that despite the existing consistency players do pay attention to names and lore, maybe more than we would expect they do. They will use and continue to use whatever they want to, that's why it's important that both name and title are there.

So if anything it is mixing up names and titles which will cause confusion, not the other way round.

That's why I am all for consistency, title at the same spot for everybody, name at the same spot for everybody and both should be displayed. If we have issues with a couple of names or titles (otter mentioned Templar Assassin and Atropos for instance) we can adjust them if necessary, but don't mix.

Basic Member
    There's no reason for the game to not provide both options for the player to pick. I agree with Chair, consistency (between dota1 and dota2) is key.

If we do feel like we need to remove consistencies within the name/titles themselves, that can come at a later time.

Basic Member
    I don't think we need to include both names. For instance, the chinese call alchemist GA, where in either of his names is there GA? Standardizing the names I think is more important then porting both names and some fun names.

0 support for name AND title. No usefulness + confusing to new players.

Old Player: Pick RK
    New Player: What is RK?
    Old Player: Rogue Knight
    New Player: Which hero is Rogue Knight?
    Old Player: The blue colored radiant strength hero which turns red during his ulti.
    New Player: That's Sven you noob.

Quote Originally Posted by Chairraider View Post
    The players can easily decide on their own how they want to refer to heroes just like they have always done. That actually shows that despite the existing consistency players do pay attention to names and lore, maybe more than we would expect they do. They will use and continue to use whatever they want to, that's why it's important that both name and title are there.
    And that is a thing that should be fixed; not continued in Dota 2. I remember how hard it was for me to grasp multiple names (and short names) for all heroes when I started DotA.
    Last edited by CvP; 09-16-2011 at 05:28 AM.

Core Tester
    I don't think its absolutely necessary to port over name and title but I don't have a better solution. It's kind of clunky if each hero has to have two names displayed on every screen though

-hhn hide heronames it was an option and can remain an option it doesn't change the fact we refer to certain heroes in a certain way

I support both names and "rank" so which heroes need adaptions. let's make a list:

Names:
    - Rexxar
    - Kaz Stonebull, Cairne Bloodhoef
    - Azwraith
    - Furion/Malfurion

Ranks:
    - Tauren Chieftain
    - The Slayer....
    - Pandaren Brewmaster