Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Replace "X" of the enemyteam by arrow.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ugot.juked View Post
    dude, i dont have talented eyes or sth. It just an adjustment of your display. And if you can see it anyway, why it shouldnt be able to see it more easier?!
    You Guys are doing see this like sth. which would kill dota! I Play DotA since it is Aeon of Strife and beleave me it wont be such a big deal.
    There are much more ciritical things, than beeing able to see, in which direction the enemy is looking.

And the MOST people here say it would be kill dota but not a single man was able to say what exactly would be that Gamebreaking.
    Give me and the other readers examples!
    Look at your forum name, think about it a little bit, then reply again.

It isnt a huge gamebreaking thing, but it is obvious to me that Valve do not want players to know which direction enemy heroes are facing - if they did want us to know, they could have easily made enemy hero markers as arrows too. An X has no distinguishable side or direction.

The argument is you can look at the minimap and tell where a unit is heading even without the marker, but the direction indicator provides an added edge to know which direction enemies may be heading even without moving. Like I said, not a huge gamebreaker, but I dont think Valve intended it to be the way you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by HMAN911 View Post
    The argument is you can look at the minimap and tell where a unit is heading even without the marker, but the direction indicator provides an added edge to know which direction enemies may be heading even without moving. Like I said, not a huge gamebreaker, but I dont think Valve intended it to be the way you want it.
    In that case, why do the Xs turn?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSIDefenseUp View Post
    In that case, why do the Xs turn?
    To indicate turning without revealing the direction the unit is facing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mostly harmless View Post
    +1 when there's any information (like there already is, with the brighter side of the X) it should be easy to detect. or just leave it out at all.
    Never paid much attention to it in the past, but the OP is correct, the Xs are shaded and the brighter side is the front.

Wouldn't want them to be the same arrows as allies though, because that would just be confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrosnite View Post
    It's an X for a reason. So you won't know which way the enemy is facing.

-1 for this thread.
    This! It's an X for that reason. Wouldn't make sense to change it.

Basic Member
    If it is changed only for spectators it would be fine I think.
    Last edited by Akkedis; 04-23-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by handa711 View Post
    This.
    Isn't it a bit weird that Radiant has much easier to see where-they're-going icons than Dire?.
    In fact... as long as you're a player your team is the "radiant" in the mini-map no matter where is your base, so you and your team mates get the "drop" icons while the enemy team gets the "X" icons.

If you're a spectator, though, "radiant" is the team starting on the bottom left base, and thus the ones getting "drop" icons on the mini-map.

- - -

As for changing, the X. Yes. Game is ALREADY showing where an enemy is facing by brightening the "X" side so it's not a petition to add something new, but to make something more viewable.

And, changing the icon will NOT make juking more difficult. Enemy heroes, and their mini-map icons are shown ONLY if you have direct vision over them, or if they are under an effect that grants you vision over them (like Bounty Hunter's ulti). If you're following an enemy and you lose sight, both your enemy and their mini-map icon dissapear from your screen, so you must still guess their direction. Seeing an arrow instead of an X moving towards a ramp and disappearing once is on top of it doesn't make juking ore difficult, because the juking actually starts when that hero and their associated mini-map icon disappear from sight.

Basic Member
    You can see which way the enemy is heading, if you have eagle eyes because the tiny X is slightly shaded.

Providing information but making this information hard to read is not good interface design. Either don't provide it at all or make it more obvious at a glance.

Seriously, people gotta stop with these useless suggestions. When the game hits retail it will be so easy it's not even funny.

MINUS ONE ON THIS.

System Spec for Bug Reporting:
    ----------------------------------------
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (at 3301 MHz)
    GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    HDD: Samsung 1TB SATA 7200RPM
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB (DDR3 1600Mhz)
    Resolution: 1280x1024 (19" CRT, Dell M991)
    Connection: Comhem FiberKoax 50/10mb

Basic Member
    So you seriously think figuring out which leg of a tiny X is lighter than the others is part of what makes Dota such a competitive game?
    What's this I don't even.

If seeing which way an enemy is going makes the game too easy, why not remove the X'es (and arrows) and just make every hero a circle? Then you really can't see where they are going, as opposed to the current situation where you can see it if you have perfect eyesight. I was not aware having a high contrast monitor is a skill aspect of the game.