Thread: Unable to start a custom game without a "Failed" loader

Basic Member

Unable to start a custom game without a "Failed" loader

As the title says, I've spent over an hour trying to get into a game of battleships with no luck. It is easy to find a lobby with the search for lobby button, works great. After getting into the lobby, and you get ten people, you pray that the host is not afk (for my hour, half of the lobbies I joined had afk hosts). When the host started the game, the host loads first as expected.

The issue occurs with people not wanting to wait for the host to load, or not being able to load themselves after the host has loaded. So there was always at least one failed loader in all of my games, and the lobby is treated like a ranked match (if there is one failed loader, you are taken back to the lobby...). This is not a ranked match though, and I am ok with starting the game with a failed loader. Playing without a few failed loaders is much better than joining lobbies for over an hour to either find that the host is afk or that there was a failed loader (which is basically always going to happen with the host having to load first, followed by everyone else) and being taken back to the lobby.

I looked forward to custom games the most in Dota 2 Reborn, but I can't even get a custom game started....

I hope that the loading is fixed (so that the game is not ended for one failed loader) or that valve actually dedicates servers for custom games (so we don't have to rely on a host)

Please developers fix this!! I just want to play some battleships and other fun custom games!!!!

I will add to this and say that I am one of those consistent failed loaders, but there is nothing I can do about it.

I'm not sure how many people have this issue, but for me, all custom games get stuck on loading screen. There is only one exception and that is if I am host. In this situation I load into the game, and nobody else can connect. For this reason I've assumed it's possibly a network error. I've forwarded ports and enabled reborn through firewall exceptions with no success. Any "normal" game modes work perfectly fine.

Basic Member
    File error loading resource header "particles/econ/items/effigies/status_fx_effigies/frosty_base_statue_destruction_generic.vpcf_c" (Error: ERROR_FILEOPEN)
    File error loading resource header "materials/effects/fog_world_00.vtex_c" (Error: ERROR_FILEOPEN)
    File error loading resource header "materials/effects/fow_clouds_00.vtex_c" (Error: ERROR_FILEOPEN)
    File error loading resource header "item_treasure_chest.vmdl_c" (Error: ERROR_FILEOPEN)
    File error loading resource header "npc_dota_creature_basic_zombie.vmdl_c" (Error: ERROR_FILEOPEN)
    File error loading resource header "npc_dota_creature_berserk_zombie.vmdl_c" (Error: ERROR_FILEOPEN)
    File error loading resource header "npc_dota_treasure_courier.vmdl_c" (Error: ERROR_FILEOPEN)
    File error loading resource header "materials/models/props_gameplay/dota_ar_frame/dota_ar_frame.vmat_c" (Error: ERROR_FILEOPEN)

If the same, then I +

Basic Member
    The only solution to the problem is to allow people to fail.
    1 person failed = game still starts
    etc
    "Host" being afk is honestly a bigger issue. Since lobby is done on a auto assign basis.

Basic Member
    Why should the game start if it doesn't have all the players; it'd just waste more time before people go to remake. The situations where it's OK to miss some players are pretty unusual.