Thread: A GUI for scripting in the future

A GUI for scripting in the future

Currently, making mods in the current tools is somewhat limited to those proficient in programming in general, so someone random with a good idea can't work alone unless he learns to program or finds someone willing who does. This is what I liked about WC3 world editor, they had a GUI for the scripting part as well, making it easier for people uninitiated in programing to make custom maps. It looked like this: http://s69.photobucket.com/user/Andr...ring2.jpg.html

It's intuitive and clear, and looks less intimidating to beginners than pure walls of code. This very GUI is what got me interested to become a programmer in the first place, and it would be nice to see something similar some day.

Edit: Of course, any part of the GUI could have been edited with pure code if the GUI didn't offer what was required, so this would only be an addition naturally. If optimized well, it could reduce the workload of even experienced programmers in making the maps.
    Last edited by Unfawkable; 06-18-2015 at 07:23 AM.

Basic Member
    Seems stupid. That said, in garry's mod, someone made a drag and drop tool which would output Lua code, there is also a tool for Dota 2 by royawesome which lets you create abilities via a GUI, no idea if that was ever finished.

You could be the one to make a GUI based programming interface, good luck

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ash47 View Post
    Seems stupid. That said, in garry's mod, someone made a drag and drop tool which would output Lua code, there is also a tool for Dota 2 by royawesome which lets you create abilities via a GUI, no idea if that was ever finished.

looked into the vpk files yesterday, and found files about keyvalue editor. so, I think the GUI tools is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by ash47 View Post

Hey, I'm decent enough at programming currently to make maps, but making a programming GUI is a little bit outside my knowledge quota xD