Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Massive functionality loss from Scaleform

Massive functionality loss from Scaleform

We're missing some really critical stuff - scaleform had general network sockets, but Panorama just has these weak AsyncWebRequests which can only go to valve domains. This, along with the removal of the ability to save/read KV files, means that we can no longer do stats services, custom linking, streaming content, saved games, or maybe a hundred other features. Just give us a few API calls that wrap the C++ socket functions, and it'll all be ok again.

Convar settings in panorama aswell

Basic Member
    I'd much rather just have sockets on the server, so then we don't have to trust the clients >_>

Quote Originally Posted by ash47 View Post
    I'd much rather just have sockets on the server, so then we don't have to trust the clients >_>
    I'd personally like to have both. We can't really trust servers regardless (since they're all hosted on various peoples' computers anyway); having the ability to do sockets from the clients adds functionality if you want to do special stuff, or even something as simple as a way to report bugs to the addon author in a way that's nicely integrated and doesn't require more networking from the server. Heck, you could even have a "rate your ally" system on clients, that wouldn't be easily gameable by a rogue server operator.

Yea. Sockets were really handy.

Basic Member
    Also no cursor handling

Basic Member
    Would also like to emphasize the loss of important features from the transition to Panorama. I found the following scaleform functions and features very useful throughout my custom game development:

• globals.GameInterface.LoadKVFile()
    • Globals.instance.GameInterface.SaveKVFile()

Being able to set convars on certain clients:
    • Globals.instance.GameInterface.SetConvar()

Being able to retrieve world coordinates of the cursor (would also like a function to set the mouse coordinates of a client):
    • globals.Game.ScreenXYToWorld(stage.mouseX, stage.mouseY)
    • Being able to open sockets to connect to the internet.

I dearly hope that we will get equivalent functions in Panorama, and also a function to create client-side particles.

Quote Originally Posted by Myll View Post
    I dearly hope that we will get equivalent functions in Panorama, and also a function to create client-side particles.
    A quite note is that I believe that this refers to client-side world-space particles; we can currently do particles inside of panorama, but only as components in boxes in the UI. By enabling the ability to render particles in the actual world-space, we can do a lot of things that would otherwise be extremely expensive to network; for example, we could have overlays over a large number of units that dynamically update, or particle silhouettes of units showing where a move order would give them (useful for stuff like moving units into formations). This thread probably isn't the best place to talk about this in particular though, since we're mostly focusing on restoring features that were removed here.

This is really critical to many custom game's feasibility and success.

The latest patch notes make me hopeful we can regain what was lost through the removal of sockets. HYPE HYPE HYPE