Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Global Silence = Global Mute for Enemies?

Should Global Silence = Global Mute for Enemies?

Hey all,

I'm a huge fan of silencer, as well as sound effects that help you get immersed in the game.

I think it'd be awesome for Silencer's ult to have a global 'Silence!' sound shot out when he casts it, followed by a near-mute or maybe a muffling of sounds for its duration for enemies. I think it fits the flavor of the skill and the hero well, and would certainly make me feel more involved in the game.

Maybe this has been suggested before, but I didn't see it with the search. Anyways, thoughts?
    Change has kept DotA alive, evolving, and improving since 2002. And now DotA has an entire new engine at it's disposal, with infinite new capabilities.

So why are there so many DotA fundamentalists/conservatives that oppose new features, options, and information?

Embrace the change.

Yeah, it should be. During Global Silence, enemies should not be able to talk.
    In Dota 1, the skill mute everything, even the sound of weapon which make no sense.

But in Dota 2, I believe it is possible to just only mute the heroes' voices. If Global Silence can also mute voice chat, that would be a nice buff IMO =).

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowThanatos View Post
    In Dota 1, the skill mute everything, even the sound of weapon which make no sense.

But in Dota 2, I believe it is possible to just only mute the heroes' voices. If Global Silence can also mute voice chat, that would be a nice buff IMO =).
    Ironically, the tooltip in Dota 2 states that 'all' sound stops, implying everything from voices to weapons to whatever gets muted. I think cutting all game sound during silence in dota 2 would still fit.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowThanatos View Post

If this occured, then it would only encourage people to use third party programs instead of the in game voice chat to circumvent the in game silence. Although this would be consistent with the skill description, it doesn't seem to be a viable addition to the game where team co-operation and co-ordination are vital.

it should mute EVERYTHING

but I do agree it shouldn't mute voice chat
    Last edited by WestArcher; 01-13-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NXCL View Post
    If this occured, then it would only encourage people to use third party programs instead of the in game voice chat to circumvent the in game silence. Although this would be consistent with the skill description, it doesn't seem to be a viable addition to the game where team co-operation and co-ordination are vital.
    Yeah, given the prevalence of 3rd party voice programs, there's really no way to make global silence cut off team mic communication. So I'd have to favor muting everything except that, since I don't want to have to use 3rd party programs if I don't have to.
    Change has kept DotA alive, evolving, and improving since 2002. And now DotA has an entire new engine at it's disposal, with infinite new capabilities.

So why are there so many DotA fundamentalists/conservatives that oppose new features, options, and information?

Embrace the change.

Just make the mute effect same as in Dota1 - it was ok then and actually had some impact on battles.
    +1 for muting everything
    Last edited by Keowee; 01-13-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Sounds like a good idea. Just an addition: Fade the sound back in after the ult wears off for like 0.5sec or something. Would be great.

I did not think about the 3rd party programs. Thanks guys.

Well then, it should be just like Dota 1, mute everything except voice chat.

Agreed, everything must be silent.
    Maverick Hunter.