Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Valve's Servers on Custom Games is it gonna happen ?

This is good read on why we shouldn't have custom games on Valve servers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comme..._about_custom/
    Thank you IceFrog, Valve and Dota 2 team for everything you doing for Dota 2 community.

Quote Originally Posted by glodar View Post
    This is good read on why we shouldn't have custom games on Valve servers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comme..._about_custom/
    Except that is based on a lot of assumptions which isn't necessarily true. Mainly the assumption that the game server would need to restart and the implications of that. However, in a fairly recent update to TF2 the ability to on-demand change to a workshop map was added. This is done by simply issuing a changelevel command to a workshop ID and the server will automatically download and loaded, in not much more time than a regular changelevel.

It isn't really a technical issue as the hard parts are already solved, and the remaining issues would be comparatively trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by SirHaxalot View Post
    Except that is based on a lot of assumptions which isn't necessarily true. Mainly the assumption that the game server would need to restart and the implications of that. However, in a fairly recent update to TF2 the ability to on-demand change to a workshop map was added. This is done by simply issuing a changelevel command to a workshop ID and the server will automatically download and loaded, in not much more time than a regular changelevel.

It isn't really a technical issue as the hard parts are already solved, and the remaining issues would be comparatively trivial.
    Yeah, but that's just one point of post, and I agree with this quote from post

"Custom games need to be timeless and community orientated. They need to be created at will, updated at will, played at will and introducing servers to host them hinders that."

However I would love if we get dedicated servers run by community, like we had in WC3.
    Thank you IceFrog, Valve and Dota 2 team for everything you doing for Dota 2 community.

Basic Member
    Not everyone has a fucking optic wire in the US. Let alone the rest of the world.
    It's salty to get a shitty host for 10 games in a row.

We need dedicated for the most played custom games.
    Maybe a rotation, but that "Custom games need to be timeless and community orientated. They need to be created at will, updated at will, played at will and introducing servers to host them hinders that." is dumb until everyone on earth has 100 MB+ connections

Shitty host are killing custom games, not dedicated.
    Last edited by devolution; 08-23-2015 at 01:48 PM.
    /* This is really just a hack to prevent the compiler from complaining */ ~ SDL.h

Basic Member
    For what it's worth, being from a part of the world with a well developed internet infrastructure (EU), I have few problems with the current system. Getting into a 20 player match can be hard, but otherwise it mostly just works. Dedicated hosts would be nice, but I don't expect Valve would think that it's worth the expense; I even doubt if Valve will bother making it possible to players to have dedicated hosts for their lobbies, since it would be a very niche feature.