Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Valve's Servers on Custom Games is it gonna happen ?

  1. #1
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9

    Question Valve's Servers on Custom Games is it gonna happen ?

    Valve's Servers on Custom Games is it gonna happen ? cos there are alot of laggy hosts and some of them simply D/C .

  2. #2
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9
    so everybody is happy being hosted by shitty hosts?

  3. #3
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,033
    When Valve custom servers happens you probably have to pay for it and there are limited maps you can choose from. I wouldn't wait for that.
    Also reborn is being tested right now so custom servers aren't a priority. There are a lot of bugs that have to be ironed out as well as missing features.

    By the time Valve has dedicated custom servers the community already figured out how to make hostbots thus rent some VPS and make their own reliable custom servers.
    James "2GD" Harding's career as a Dota 2 host on Valve events
    * 25.02.16 - 26.02.16
    Spoiler: 



  4. #4
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    254
    they need this overthrow is pointless i get some 3rd world peruvian hosting every time and get packet loss and 1000 ms ping. tried to play 15+ games yesterday and was only able to play 1 game and it still had 200+ ms ping. if you're to cheap to let us use valve servers ffs at least pick a host that can handle hosting and isnt in some internet cafe.

    why would we need to pay for valve servers? custom games are no different then dota. youre playing dota which means youre more likely to buy hats and valve make money. i dont see any difference between dota and custom games. all that matters in the end is you have players playing and buying hats.
    Last edited by jonjonjon; 06-27-2015 at 09:32 AM.

  5. #5
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,033
    That's the harsh reality. My or your opinion is irrelevant. They will monetize custom games somehow.
    Let's look at CS:GO:

    Quote Originally Posted by http://counterstrike.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Operations
    Operations are a form of purchasable DLC introduced in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive consisting of exclusive official and community created content including community maps, and exclusive operation coin, and stat tracking throughout the duration of the operation. Later operations also introduced exclusive weapon collections and cases. Each operation is scheduled to last between 2-3 months with a one month break in between. However, it is not uncommon for an operation to extend beyond its schedule. Since operations contain community created content, a portion of the proceeds go directly to authors of content included within the operation.
    Each operation features some of the most popular community created maps submitted to the Steam Workshop. Like all community created maps, operation maps can be played at any time in casual matchmaking outside of the operation by "Subscribing" to the map on the Steam Workshop. A portion of the proceeds from the sales of the operation passes go towards the authors of the maps.
    Monetization is a thing and it will happen somehow. Some custom map makers are looking forward to monetary rewards. They've been doing it in CS:GO and it is working over there. Note that you can still play those maps for free by joining community servers. They however don't drop any hats. Donation is a possibility but not many people are willing to donate. Besides custom game makers could just leave their paypal address in their workshop description. No need to do it through Valve and make less money. Something similar to Operation on the other hand generates lots of money.
    James "2GD" Harding's career as a Dota 2 host on Valve events
    * 25.02.16 - 26.02.16
    Spoiler: 



  6. #6
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    254
    any monetization on custom games other then a voluntary donate button will instantly kill custom games. if youre creating mods to make money youre in it for the wrong reason.

    and id like to add again after trying to play overthrow again today its 100% pointless you cant get a host that can actually host a game. custom games are already dead.
    Last edited by jonjonjon; 06-27-2015 at 12:49 PM.

  7. #7
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9
    i dont know if its true but my brother tells me that in starcraft all custom games are hosted in blizzard servers . why cant be the same here ? i think it will be possible when they release reborn or later in this beta . that what i hope for

  8. #8
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,033
    Quote Originally Posted by ttm1st View Post
    i dont know if its true but my brother tells me that in starcraft all custom games are hosted in blizzard servers . why cant be the same here ? i think it will be possible when they release reborn or later in this beta . that what i hope for
    Your brother told you wrong. Starcraft II is peer to peer. Even HotS is peer-to-peer (good read if you are interested).
    Looking back Blizzard hardly ran anything on their servers. Everyone was relying on each other's connection. One of the reason why maphack is a problem for them. Something HotS might have to struggle with in the future.
    James "2GD" Harding's career as a Dota 2 host on Valve events
    * 25.02.16 - 26.02.16
    Spoiler: 



  9. #9
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjonjon View Post
    why would we need to pay for valve servers? custom games are no different then dota. youre playing dota which means youre more likely to buy hats and valve make money. i dont see any difference between dota and custom games. all that matters in the end is you have players playing and buying hats.
    Except custom games have the potential to be much more resource hungry than 5v5 dota games, they would want to setup seperate servers purely for custom games if they did choose to take this path.

  10. #10
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjonjon View Post
    they need this overthrow is pointless i get some 3rd world peruvian hosting every time and get packet loss and 1000 ms ping. tried to play 15+ games yesterday and was only able to play 1 game and it still had 200+ ms ping. if you're to cheap to let us use valve servers ffs at least pick a host that can handle hosting and isnt in some internet cafe.

    why would we need to pay for valve servers? custom games are no different then dota. youre playing dota which means youre more likely to buy hats and valve make money. i dont see any difference between dota and custom games. all that matters in the end is you have players playing and buying hats.
    Racist much?? You want to play custom games then host it yourself idiot, i bet you're laggy as these "peruvian hosts"

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •