Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Suggestions for Custom Games

Basic Member
    You're right, WC3 does use a model of peer-peer. I guess I remember badly. My memory tells me that if the host drop, the game drops. Am I wrong about this? Quite frankly I don't remember since hosting bots took over the WC3 custom games.

Thing is; Blizzard said themselves that they changed the peer-peer model into something of a variation that eliminated abuses that were in StarCraft. So the two scenarios aren't 1:1.

With regards to MW2; I believe their client-server model works with a listen server that transfers the host data to a new host if one is available. Host migration won't work if no other play have an open NAT which was required to host on IW.Net.

Wouldn't this be a possibility in Custom Games? Have a listen server that collects data on a game and if the host loses connection to the clients or listen server, the game will attempt to find a new host and dump the host data to the new host?

Basic Member
    The listen server runs on the host PC. That's the point of it. To offload stress from the companies' servers to the community. It works in MW2 and it would work in Dota 2 as well. But it comes with a lot of limitation, see my previous post. It is honestly not worth it especially if you consider the take-over feature which Dota 2 has is a buggy mess. In order for host migration to work they have to fix existing features first. Automating the take-over process is basically host migration.

And my first reply said we would have better hosts when the community figures out how to make hostbots like in WC3. I don't think finding good hosts would be a problem in the future. Besides custom games only get more and more complicated and you will need dedicated (community) server. Servers which are run on some random PCs are not reliable. If you look at TF2 and CS:GO you will see an abundance in community servers. They have good PC hardware and good connection speed. That's all you really need for Dota 2 as well.

Again: Host migration won't work if the host crashes, disconnects, shuts down his console/PC, has an internet hiccup or exits the game. Host migration in MW2 only works (if someone else has an open NAT and) if the original host left the game and let someone else retrieve the missing information from host so he can become host.

So in conclusion: Host migration is possible but very limited. It only works if the host allows someone else to become the host. It has to be coded and it will become obsolete in the future.
    James "2GD" Harding's career as a Dota 2 host on Valve events
    * 25.02.16 - 26.02.16
    Spoiler: 

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanViet View Post
    The listen server runs on the host PC. That's the point of it. To offload stress from the companies' servers to the community. It works in MW2 and it would work in Dota 2 as well. But it comes with a lot of limitation, see my previous post. It is honestly not worth it especially if you consider the take-over feature which Dota 2 has is a buggy mess. In order for host migration to work they have to fix existing features first. Automating the take-over process is basically host migration.

And my first reply said we would have better hosts when the community figures out how to make hostbots like in WC3. I don't think finding good hosts would be a problem in the future. Besides custom games only get more and more complicated and you will need dedicated (community) server. Servers which are run on some random PCs are not reliable. If you look at TF2 and CS:GO you will see an abundance in community servers. They have good PC hardware and good connection speed. That's all you really need for Dota 2 as well.

Again: Host migration won't work if the host crashes, disconnects, shuts down his console/PC, has an internet hiccup or exits the game. Host migration in MW2 only works (if someone else has an open NAT and) if the original host left the game and let someone else retrieve the missing information from host so he can become host.

So in conclusion: Host migration is possible but very limited. It only works if the host allows someone else to become the host. It has to be coded and it will become obsolete in the future.
    Instead of getting host-bots, I assume it would be much more efficient to simply allow dedicated servers like in CS?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozuu View Post
    Instead of getting host-bots, I assume it would be much more efficient to simply allow dedicated servers like in CS?
    And who is hosting those dedicated/community servers? Hostbots.
    James "2GD" Harding's career as a Dota 2 host on Valve events
    * 25.02.16 - 26.02.16
    Spoiler: