Thread: Custom Game Issue (Pathfinding with Tangos and Quelling Blade)

Custom Game Issue (Pathfinding with Tangos and Quelling Blade)

My Custom Map, Forest DOTA, has a serious problem with the usage of tangos and quelling blades on the surrounding trees and forests. The host however, experiences none of these problems, as well as a few other players I have talked to who joined a match. The problem is that when you use a tango or qb, after selecting a tree, your hero will either go in the opposite direction and simply stand there, or go on some weird path to the tree. Its extremely frustrating and I can't seem to find a solution.

Basic Member
    I'm also having this issue on my custom map. I can't seem to find the issue anywhere, the only thing I found was a similar issue to what people experienced while using the winter weather effect. Whenever I host my map, I can use tangos fine, but others can not.

Could anyone help benenor and I? This is an extremely frustrating issue that still is in my map.

Basic Member
    I am having the same issue as this. I tried replacing ALL of the trees on the map to no avail. It seems like an issue with client and server side communication. Hence why the host can always use the tango's and QB with no problems, and maybe a few other players with better connection to the host. The people with the worst connection however seem to have the problem. Any fix/info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Basic Member
    I've found that pooled tango's (shared tango's) work in every instance of this. Can you guys confirm the same thing? If this is true, then I can't really seeing it being our fault or our mistake as it would be more of an editor issue.

Also heroes like Nature's Prophet/Timbersaw will "break" the trees, and then you can walk right through them, even though they are still drawn there and were taken down in a different spot of the map. You can then see "through" the trees, even though they are there, because they were destroyed in a different section of the map. It seems that the tree grid is really messed up right now.

Basic Member
    Any news on this?

Basic Member
    It has been posted here as well. Can we get a response on this?

Valve Developer
    Can you check and see if the remote client has this error in the console log? (the map name will be different):

[ W General ]: Height map file (maps/forestdota.vhcg) not found, this will make ground height traces more expensive! Recompile the map to generate a height map.
    [ W General ]: C_World::Activate(): Failed to load heightfield maps/forestdota.vhcg
    [ W General ]: Tree map file (maps/forestdota.trm) does not exist or is invalid. This will cause issues with remote clients picking trees correctly.
    [ W General ]: C_World::Activate(): Failed to load tree map maps/forestdota.trm

This error is occurring in Forest DOTA despite the fact that the map vpk file does actually contain the specified files. The fact that this error is occurring when the specified files are in the vpk indicates a lower level bug which is preventing all of the files in the map from loading correctly. We are currently investigating that issue.

Valve Developer
    Today's update contains a fix for the bug where the tree map file was failing to load in some custom maps which resulted in remote clients running to the wrong tree when using a tango or quelling blade.