Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help my model editor keep crashing

help my model editor keep crashing[SOLVED]

[ E General ]: CAppSystemDict:Unable to load interface factory ToolSystem2_001 from tools/model_editor.dll (Dependency of application)

Hammer and asset manager are working fine...

edit: problem has been solved
    Last edited by NB.; 07-07-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Cant touch this :-j

Current position co-ordinates non-tracable. Unknown space.
    Hey NB, please check out the "Crashes/Crash To Desktop Reports (CTDs)" portion of my guideline thread on how to post a crash dump for your issue. This will help the devs narrow down and fix the issue.

really need help...

Valve Developer
    In this case the crash dump isn't providing much information. Could you post all of the console log? That may have more important information.

Basic Member
    I'm seeing the same issue.

I took a look at the log and it doesn't seem to be very helpful. Is there a way to turn on more verbose logging?

Here is the end of the log file:

Game: "Dota 2"
    Map: "<empty>"
    Players: 1 (0 bots) / 1 humans
    Build: 6819
    Server Number: 1

Initializing script VM...
    ...done
    CL: PS_SATISFIED CLoadStartupResourcePrerequisite in sequence for CGameClientConnectPrerequisite
    CL: PS_SATISFIED CLoadSpawnGroupsPrerequisite in sequence for CGameClientConnectPrerequisite
    CL: PS_SATISFIED CFinalizeConnectionPrerequisite in sequence for CGameClientConnectPrerequisite
    CL: OnStatusFinished for CGameClientConnectPrerequisite
    CL: CGameClientConnectPrerequisite connection succeeded
    ChangeGameUIState: DOTA_GAME_UI_STATE_LOADING_SCREEN -> DOTA_GAME_UI_STATE_DASHBOARD
    SV: IGameSystem::LoopActivateAllSystems
    HO: IGameSystem::LoopActivateAllSystems
    SV: Game started
    CL: IGameSystem::LoopActivateAllSystems
    SV: Sending full update to client malloc (reason: initial update)
    ShouldClientReceiveStringTableUserData called with NULL GameRules() on table userinfo, string 0
    CL: Receiving uncompressed update from server
    CL: CL_ProcessPacketEntities: frame window too big (>=128)
    CL: Signon traffic "client": incoming 35.983 KB [8 pkts], outgoing 1.172 KB [7 pkts]
    CAppSystemDict:Unable to load interface factory ToolSystem2_001 from tools/model_editor.dll (Dependency of application)
    EDIT: Having the console attached when reproing the error produces the same line about ToolSystem2_001.
    Last edited by malloc; 07-05-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Valve Developer
    It seems like this is probably an install issue. Check and see if you have a model_editor.dll in tools bin directory: ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\game\bin\win64\tools\

The contents of that directory should look like this:
    Capture.PNG

If you are missing the model_editor.dll or it is older than your other files in that directory, that would cause this problem. If this is the case try selecting "Verify Integrity of game cache" from the local files tab of the Properties page for Dota 2 in Steam.
    Capture2.PNG

Basic Member
    When I checked my tools directory it looks the same as your screenshot, and the size of the model_editor dll didn't seem suspect. I went ahead and deleted it and verified the game cache, resulting in the file being redownloaded. However, the issue still persists. Let me know if there is any other information I can provide.

EDIT: Additionally the date of the dll matched the others. I had just installed both Dota 2 and the Reborn beta to this machine two days ago.
    Last edited by malloc; 07-06-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Valve Developer
    Thanks for trying that. There are a few other files that model editor depends on that the other tools don't, if you are missing any of these, that could be the problem as well.

...\Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\game\bin\win64\shiboken-python2.7.dll
    ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\game\bin\win64\python27.dll
    ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\game\bin\win64\QtOpenGL4.dll

These in turn depend on some common Windows dlls:
    C:\Windows\System32\msvcr100.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\msvcp100.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\opengl32.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\glu32.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\ddraw.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\dciman32.dll

Basic Member
    Thanks, it's been fixed!

After you mentioned msvcr/msvcp, I realized that during the installation it never did an install of Microsoft Visual C++. Because of my version mismatch this caused the Model Editor to fail on load. Installing the redistributable of the correct version allows me to launch the editor. For anyone else viewing this thread, you can find it here: (x86) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5555, (x64) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=14632.

NB, could you try this out and see if this resolves the issue for you too?

Thanks again, karlw!