Thread: DOTA2 Reborn won't start on my mac mini 6,2 (Late 2012)

DOTA2 Reborn won't start on my mac mini 6,2 (Late 2012)

Hi,

shortly after Reborn Beta was released for Mac I installed it via the DLC tab in the steam client.

Since the download and installation where done, I can't start the game. I doesn't matter if I click play and then choose the Reborn beta or if I right-click on the DOTA2 Icon and then choose "Play Reborn beta" there, the game always wants to open, on the friends tab it even shows that I am Playing DOTA2 for a short moment and in the OSX dock an icon pops up and closes again right away. That's all, nothing more happens. I was hoping that probably some updates would help, but nothing ever since.

I tried a couple of things to get Reborn to run. Changed my steam language to english (I usually run it in german), I used the "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache" function, I deleted the Reborn DLC and did a fresh download and installation, I also tried alot of other things that I found in the web, that could help, but nothing worked out.

I just hope that my mac matches the minimum system requirements, even though they should, since Valve said that Reborn should even work better on older systems, then the original client and the original client works well for me on my mac mini.

Just to let Valve know, here are the specs for my mac:
    Modell: Mac mini 6,2 (Late 2012)
    Prozessor: Intel Core i7, 2,6 GHz
    RAM: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000, 768 MB

I also have two other macs that I am running DOTA2 (classic) on on an regular base, a Mac Pro (Early 2009) and a MacBook Air (Mid 2013).
    I haven't tried the Reborn beta on my MacBook Air so far, but I made the installation on my Mac Pro and I can't play the reborn beta there as well. The game starts on that machine, but I have huge graphics issues on that mac, which make it impossible to play. But thats a different story for a different thread that I will post later.

I just hope Valve will work out these problems, otherwise I won't be able to play DOAT2 anymore in the future, after Reborn will be the standard.

Kind regards
    -Yiria-

P.S.: Sorry for the bad english, I haven't used it for quite a while.
    Last edited by Yiria; 07-26-2015 at 04:08 AM.

Just installed the latest update, still the same problems.

I just also read that Reborn will soon be the standard client, which means I won't be able to play DOTA2 anymore.

Hmmmm... very sad considering all the money I spent on ingamestuff...

Alright, yesterday I uninstalled Reborn -AND- DOTA2 from my Mac mini and made a clean install of it all, first around 7 GB download from DOTA2, then again 6,6 GB for Reborn... yay... fun.

I really thought it might help, since I installed Reborn on my MacBook Air (Mid 2013) and it works totally fine there, but sadly it didn't help anything, the game just won't start in Reborn. Classic DOTA2 still works fine.

In the beginning I thought Reborn won't run on my Mac mini because it only has the Intel HD Graphics installed, but my Macbook Air has the same graphics and now I know, Reborn works on it as it should, so it is not the graphics.

Besides that, my Mac mini has a better configuration then my Macbook Air, more RAM, better Processor, etc., so I don't get it, how can it be that Reborn won't run on the better Mac, but it works fine on the smaller one.

I really hope Valve will solve this problem or they can tell me what to do, so it will work, besides of saying go buy a new computer.

Regards
    -Yiria-

Basic Member
    Dota 2 Reborn requires OpenGL 3.3 or later.

OS X Lion and Mountain Lion only have OpenGL 3.2. Mavericks/Yosemite/El Capitan support OpenGL 3.3 and 4.1 (depending on your graphics card):
    https://developer.apple.com/opengl/c...ies/index.html

So, the minimum OS requirements for Reborn are OS X 10.9 Mavericks. I don't think this is explicitly documented anywhere, and would it kill them to make a error message saying so when you try to launch it?

Basic Member
    I'm having this problem too, my mac mini is mid 2010 and its specs are:

2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo,
    8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3,
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB,
    OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)

I was able to play Dota 2 on my mac mini before Reborn update and I have Mountain Lion installed like you. I wasn't planning to upgrade my OS to Mavericks anytime in the future since I have that thinking that the apple products (including iphone) die slowly through the new OS updates, I was happy with my Mountain Lion (yes I'm a bit conservative) But if it's the only way to play Dota 2, I would upgrade it without no hesitation. If anyone upgrades it before me and can launch the game and play it like in the good old days, please tell me (or us). I will wait sometime and install Mavericks if nothing comes out.

Basic Member
    Upgrading to Mavericks or later is your only choice if you want to continue to play Dota 2. Valve has targeted OpenGL 3.3 as the minimum for Reborn, and Apple is never going to add 3.3 to Mountain Lion or below.

Like you and others, I was on Mountain Lion because I value stability and familiarity in my workflow. But Reborn would not launch. Once I updated to Yosemite, I was once again able to launch and play Dota 2.

Basic Member
    Ok then I will upgrade mine to Mavericks tonight, thanks.

Basic Member
    This is now properly reflected in the System Requirements on the Steam listing (it wasn't yesterday):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/570/

It would be nice if it still threw a proper error on launch, instead of silently failing.

Thanks for the information guys, that explains alot. But I really must say that some sort of error message from the client would be very helpful.

Greetings
    -Yiria-