Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Let DotA take control over the system's volume

Quote Originally Posted by ZShock View Post
    It is not complicated at all.
    Wouldn't there have to be custom code for each application that you want it to control? Or are you just talking about one volume control for all applications? i.e. not being able to have different applications at different volume levels?

Not at all. As I said, in Windows 7 there's a different mixer for each application. This might not be true for XP, though. But anyway, I'm a programmer and I can tell that it's not (relatively) complicated... relatively I say, 'cause for what I've seen, there are lots of lines of code 'n libraries to work with Soundvol32 and other OS poopies, but hey, DotA's not being made by script kiddies anyway

What makes me think of... would DotA have a menu to let you choose which applications affect and which not? Sounds too complicated for just a game. Maybe, if ever implemented, they'll bring support for Skype, Ventrillo and the Steam voice chat itself. But, for the moment, let's stick to Windows global volume settings.

Tip: there's an option in sound settings of W7 that, if I'm not wrong, in english would say "Don't let third party applications control the volume," that is one of the bases for my explanation.

What I fear the most, is that this Steam library added to every game might actually restrict this kind of behaviour, which again I doubt, since after your game's been made (in XNA, Java or whatever) you can add these files without actually modifying any essential code of your program and adding it to the Steam network... but I cannot speculate anymore about this since I'm a king of nothing yet D;

Alright.

I'm definitely not a programmer, so I trust you.

In that case, I don't see any reason not to do it. However, I don't think it's something that should happen pre-release. It's a low priority enhancement as it doesn't directly impact the game.

Yep. Seeing it's using the Source engine, though, I expect seeing mods and cool stuff everywhere :P