Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Dota 2 Low GPU Usage = Low FPS

Quote Originally Posted by ridebird View Post
    I have the exact same issue. The problem is GPU usage, perhaps CPU usage. It is not related to settings, drivers, memory, hard drive speeds, power settings or anything either hardware or software. The issue is with Dota 2 Reborn only, and is some weird optimization bug in the game, affecting certain configurations.

As you do, I have a 970, and most people with this problem seem to have 900-series cards, but not all. I do believe all we can do is to wait for a fix from Valve or nVidia.
    No its not gpu or cpu usage i am sure of it

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorena View Post
    No its not gpu or cpu usage i am sure of it
    Allright, would be really cool to know why you are sure of it. It's not really helping that you're just saying that and not posting a solution, if you have one. I would love one actually.

All of us with this issue - specifically related to nVidia Geforce 900-series cards apparently - have low GPU usage, resulting in less then stellar performance. It's not complicated - the game has FPS capped at 300, no vsync, is not reaching 300 or anywhere near it, but is still using only 35% of my GPU. Pretty clear issue there.

This was not an issue for me in Source 1. This is not an issue for me in other games or applications. I have tried to use every single renderer, option, setting, several drivers, resetting OC, running another game at the same time, and I have, yet again, no issues in any other games. It is not related to anything but Reborn.

This is a performance issue that needs to be fixed by Valve, nothing else.

edit: Here is my dxdiag if devs are reading: http://pastebin.com/6UfsitLi
    Last edited by ridebird; 09-29-2015 at 12:29 AM.

because GPU or CPU load is the same as the old dota and the games in the same lvl
    what did you expect ? to get 100% gpu + cpu usage ? in any game ?
    your gpu fan will not even start in these kinda games in 900 series
    i have a gtx 960

Basic Member
    I have similar results. I implore anyone to test.
    Get tinker, spam march of the machines, and notice GPU usage lower, and CPU usage raise. In EVERY SINGLE OTHER GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED IN MY LIFE, when I spam graphically intensive things, GPU usage goes UP, NOT DOWN.

Basic Member
    Bump once again

Basic Member
    You're GPU usage falls as the CPU rises because the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU. For some reason it seems that Source 2 needs more CPU horsepower than Source 1 did to do the same things. I've got a really fast CPU and even it's bottlenecking and keeping my frame rate from where it used to be. Source 2 uses more cores than Source 1 did but if one of the cores hits 100% it doesn't matter much. Anyone complaining about GPU usage being real low, that's the reason. Need another optimization patch to lower the load on the CPU....and fix the massive memory leak.

Basic Member
    Same problem here. I had the same problem in Source 1 as well.

Running on a GTX 970 and an i5-4670k. My PC is more than capable of running this game maxed out. But for some reason my GPU usage only stays at like 25-30% the whole time, even when FPS drops to around 45. It never stays at a consistent 60. I don't get it?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorena View Post
    because GPU or CPU load is the same as the old dota and the games in the same lvl
    what did you expect ? to get 100% gpu + cpu usage ? in any game ?
    your gpu fan will not even start in these kinda games in 900 series
    i have a gtx 960
    The GPU and CPU load is much lower then in Source 1. Why do you think I posted? It used to be about 60-70% GPU usage to maintain 120 FPS, spiking to 90 ish % in teamfights late game . Of course I expect close to maximum GPU load when running completely uncapped frame rates. CPU never maxes in games. Do you not understand that my FPS drops to below 60 with 35% usage with no caps? I don't know if I was unclear.

Efficient: My CPU usage never went higher then around 50%. It is not bottlenecking. I have no issues with this (again, it does not affect GPU usage like that) in actually CPU intensive games. I have friends with exactly the same CPU and GPU with no issues. It is not related from what I can gather, as people with far weaker CPUs seem to have no problems.

Basic Member
    Not saying it's everyone's problem, but I know that Source 2 is a lot more CPU hungry than Source 1 ever was. Core 0 for me is spiking up to 98% usage for me which essentially caps my frame rate because my GPU can only push 41% usage at most. I don't know if it's an optimization issue or if I'm just never going to be able to cap it out again on this new engine. God, I just want the old client back. Used to be so silky smooth.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eficent View Post
    Not saying it's everyone's problem, but I know that Source 2 is a lot more CPU hungry than Source 1 ever was. Core 0 for me is spiking up to 98% usage for me which essentially caps my frame rate because my GPU can only push 41% usage at most. I don't know if it's an optimization issue or if I'm just never going to be able to cap it out again on this new engine. God, I just want the old client back. Used to be so silky smooth.
    How do you check GPU usage? Anyway, don't be too hard on Reborn. The client's barely 3 months old. We have to give Valve some time to thoroughly iron out these issues. Source 1 Dota isn't exactly the smoothest client we all remember back in its early days.