Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we no longer hide match history in reborn?

Basic Member

Can we no longer hide match history in reborn?

Before reborn we were able to set dota profile to private and there was no way for friends to look up match history.

With reborn out that feature has been removed. Is there still a way to hide match history?

If not, any idea if it can be implemented again?

Also DotaBuff can't track MMR if we don't have that option and users like me that had that option enabled by default now it's permanent so i can't use dotabuff mmr tracking

It shouldnt be implemented again. It made cheating and boosting more difficult to detect........no that it matters since there's no report system to handle it.
    Make a NON automated report system.
    I would rather wait 10 minutes for a balanced, fun and exciting match that will last 1+ hours. Than wait 10 seconds for a poorly balanced crapmatch that will end in 30- minutes
    Valve, How I'm I supposed to respect certain boundaries to prevent a mute if I dont know them because they are different for each and every person on each and every game I play?
    The only type of player that dislikes having his stats public are the players that suck and cheaters

So are you able to check profiles in Reborn? Because the button doesn't do anything for me
    Check my My Steam profile for trade interests, etc.

Basic Member
    Hiding match history was helpful for many reasons, not just boosting and cheating. For example, when a friend asks 10 times to play and you feel bad for saying no the 10th time, so you simply appear offline or temporarily block him to play a game without him, you dont want him to end up checking your game history and find out that you've been playing without him.

Also, when we were able to maintain private profiles, fellow team or guild members were unable to spectate our games - with visible profiles, if they dont have us added, they could still click on our profiles through the guild list, then spectate our games from there. Obviously, guilds no longer exist in reborn either. But perhaps it is still beneficial, say, for pro players to maintain private profiles while scrimming. And in general, as a pro player, wouldnt you sometimes want to private profile so people cant see what you have been practicing/spamming in pubs?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmendrich View Post
    It shouldnt be implemented again. It made cheating and boosting more difficult to detect........no that it matters since there's no report system to handle it.
    Agree. There is totally no reason to hide your games, unless you boost/abuse/play terribly and lie about your skill.

Quote Originally Posted by izzziezzie View Post
    Hiding match history was helpful for many reasons, not just boosting and cheating. For example, when a friend asks 10 times to play and you feel bad for saying no the 10th time
    Get better at social life, so you wouldn't need to give people excuses. If I don't want to play with someone, we talk it through, or explain why.
    Face it instead of hiding it, your social awkwardness is not a reason to return it.
    Last edited by VqaK7S8efTN; 09-12-2015 at 11:01 AM.
    Threads I think are useful to read:

Just another day on EU servers.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE BETTER PUNISHMENT SYSTEM ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VqaK7S8efTN View Post
    There is totally no reason to hide your games, unless you boost/abuse/play terribly and lie about your skill.
    That's like saying people don't need privacy if they aren't hiding anything, or we don't need doors when we don't take showers. Don't use it if you don't like it, but it's quite obnoxious to take the option away from people who like having it. Especially when it literally does not affect you in any way other than removing the enjoyment of taking something away from others.

And honestly, I did not make this post to ask for opinions on whether we should have it, I want to know if it is still there or will come back. If you don't have an useful answer, please go make your own post. Thanks.

There ARE valid reasons to hide your profile. I do agree with that. However the little benefits that brings to the few people who desperately want to hide their score are not worth what it costs. Hiding from friends who you dont want to play with and cant just tell them "I dont feel like playing with you" is not worth making it easier for people to boost and cheat.

Allowing you to do it is a benefit for a few individuals.
    While removing it is a benefit for every single person who plays ranked.

As simple as that.
    Make a NON automated report system.
    I would rather wait 10 minutes for a balanced, fun and exciting match that will last 1+ hours. Than wait 10 seconds for a poorly balanced crapmatch that will end in 30- minutes
    Valve, How I'm I supposed to respect certain boundaries to prevent a mute if I dont know them because they are different for each and every person on each and every game I play?
    The only type of player that dislikes having his stats public are the players that suck and cheaters

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by izzziezzie View Post
    That's like saying people don't need privacy if they aren't hiding anything
    That's perfectly flawed logic right there. Instead of listing all the fallacies you just used, I am just going to tell you, that you are wrong.
    Threads I think are useful to read:

Just another day on EU servers.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE BETTER PUNISHMENT SYSTEM ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Basic Member
    1. Private profiles do not stop boosting or cheating. There is no detection, there are no consequences, and there certainly is no enforcing those consequences right now. So people who boost and cheat are going to do it anyway. Private profiles do not deter those things one bit.

2. If Valve really wants to do something against boosting and cheating, there are more intelligent ways to do it. Disabling private profiles seems like a really dumb countermeasure.

3. You don't know how many people want private profiles. Only Valve has an actual number on how many profiles were private before Reborn. To say that only a few want them may or may not be true. Similarly, you don't have an actual number on how many accounts are being boosted and how many ranked players are being affected. These days, everyone doing badly in a game gets called an account buyer or booster, that's like the new way of calling someone a noob. But without actual numbers, isn't it a bit premature to say that you are taking away an option that benefit a way for something that benefits many?

4. Even if you are correct in your assumption on what is few and what is many, it still does not change the fact that private profiles is neither the cause for boosting or cheating, nor the solution against those things. So taking away a feature that users like, for a byproduct that really accomplishes nothing, really doesn't make any sense. Like I said, there are surely much much better ways to stop cheating. And honestly, if anyone comes up with some ideas, I am all for supporting it. But private profiles is not the solution.

5. A large number of other features enable boosting or cheating in one way or another. For example, why have MMR at all? If we really want to stop boosters, why not just make all that MMR stay hidden so no one even has an incentive to boost? Or the spectating friends feature. I know plenty of people who spec friends games to help deward and give accurate predictions for rosh timer. So to stop those few cheaters, should we disable spectating altogether too?

6. And by the way, private profiles is not just a demand for people with petty problems. Teams that are trying to practice via ranked match-making, for example, should not be punished in their drafting phase simply because someone can look up what heroes they are spamming. Actual professional players should not have to make smurf after smurf to hide what new heroes they are practicing in their own ranked games.

Thank you all for helping me keep my post visible, but if anyone of actual importance is going to read this, I assume he/she has read it by now, so I am going to stop responding.
    Last edited by izzziezzie; 09-13-2015 at 09:33 AM.