Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the name of the DotA world?

Basic Member

What is the name of the DotA world?

What is the name of the actual planet? Does anyone know?

Has anyone attempted to map out the various regions that we know of?

Quote Originally Posted by Simkin View Post
    What is the name of the actual planet?
    We needs it.

Basic Member
    there you go : http://dota2.gk99.com/eng_map/

I don't think the planet has a name though

I really feel that the "DOTA" trademark Valve registered is no longer directly related to "Defence of the Ancients".
    So yup, the planet`s name is Dota.

Basic Member
    Dude big thanks for that map link, I would commend you if I could.

We don't have a planet name? Shame. Come on Icefrog that's like 5 minutes work man.

I think Dota is a suitable name for the world.

azeroth, but ssh

People suggesting Dota as the name for the planet?

Dear god no

Heh, worlds don't need names until there are more than one. I mean, we just call our world "Earth" and leave it at that, since it's the only one that truly matters to us, and people in any other world would probably do the same. So we might as well call it Dota since anybody that lives on it is gonna call it Earth ^^
    Everyone has a story.

For a list of all fan lores of unreleased heroes, http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=37955.

Quote Originally Posted by dresmasher View Post
    there you go : http://dota2.gk99.com/eng_map/

I don't think the planet has a name though
    That map IS NOT OFFICIAL. And (I hope) never will be.

Indeed it's a piece of art, BUT there's no logic on that map. Just for argue an example: a desert next to a glacier? Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincitatus
    heh, worlds don't need names until there are more than one. I mean, we just call our world "Earth" and leave it at that, since it's the only one that truly matters to us, and people in any other world would probably do the same. So we might as well call it Dota since anybody that lives on it is gonna call it Earth ^^
    Not really. How did you come to that conclusion?

We always need a name. That's the part of our culture. Man has always needed names. When man gives a name to something, he "appropriates" it. He needs a name to things. In this case, I believe the world of Dota 2 could be the name of a god (ess) as Verodicia, or some similar deity, such as Gaia (Gaea or Ge).

Calling our planet as "Earth" and not think why it's called Earth may lead us to wrong conclusions.

First, the Dota 2 World is'nt the only world in the multiverse.

Second, the Earth was a pre-Olympian goddess of ancient Greeks (known as Gaea). In that sense, our planet IS named after a mythical figure after all. Gaea was worshiped as the universal mother and there are still expressions that reflect this fact even in our days (mother earth etc). In modern Greece, planet Earth is still called Gaea (pronounced as Gee). It is also sometimes known as Terra. Terra was a goddess personifying the Earth in Roman mythology. Terra is the latin word to Earth.

Third, the word Earth (etymologically speaking) originated from the 8th century Anglo-Saxon word erda which means ground or soil. In old English the word became Eorthe then Erthe in Middle English. Earth was first used as the name of the planet around 1400.

We'll always be stuck in mythology, because old habits are hard to drop. And the world of Dota 2 has it's mythologies to. Now, what is the mythology of this world?
    Last edited by LinoPaladino; 11-29-2012 at 06:05 AM.