Thread: Replays in reborn

Basic Member

Replays in reborn

Greetings devs and other humans,

I have a few "issues" with the way reborn manages replays and would like to add my 2 cents to this matter. First of all i used to be able to download my replays and access them from the "watch" tab, in said tab there was a list of all the replays i had downloaded for later watch, in reborn this is no longer the case, there seems to be a "saved to watch later" section but it wont show any of my stores replays, no sure if this is still a non working feature but i would suggest a sign of sort that made it clear is not an implemented feature yet, otherwise it just feels like the game is broken.

I would also like to know if there are any plans for backwards compatibility with source 1 replays, i mean, TI5 was not long ago and i was still doing some catch up and now i can no longer view any of those matches (and before somebody points it out, yes, i could watch them on youtube, but it's not the same, i want the be able to follow what i want to watch and not what the casters are saying). if that is not the case, may i suggest that a client in the spirit of the dota tv client that was released during TI2 (or was it 3) that allowed non beta players to watch the matches be added to the game or at least to the list of launcher for dota2 ?

Thanks for your time.

Q-ro

Basic Member
    I would be amazed if we ever got the standalone replay client we deserved.

If it ever happens it will come from someone in the community who decompiles the necessary stuff from the old client and works out how to parse replays and load them and so on. It's not impossible, just a lot of work. And at the same time, older replays were already causing Dota to crash, anyway.

My recommendation unfortunately is to invest in a capture device and save your old replays off. Yeah, you don't get all the great functionality of having a demo file but these files will probably stop being playable in x months time. Or at least you can't rely on them being playable beyond the here and now.

I have replays from the beginning of beta that were some of my fondest memories from learning Dota with friends, and it's sort of like having a photo album with a lock on it and no key.
    "It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."
    Io, the Guardian Wisp

Basic Member
    Wait, is there still a way to access the old client for me to capture my old replays ? if so, could you good sir point me in the correct direction ?

Basic Member
    I noticed this thread made yesterday so I post my experience with the replays here rather than start a new thread :3. It's very confusing. I downloaded a random match to see how the set up works and I cant find it anywheres. :/ 100% not impressed. I just downloaded another one to try to see if I was doing something wrong and I didn't see anything in the replay to add it to a "watch later" list like is on the bottom of the replay tab. started to watch it and hit the jump ahead 10s button and reborn crashed.

I, too, was unhappy that i lost all my ti5 replays that I was still going over, as well as other replays I had just finished downloading the day before :/

Edit: I just tried accessing the replay download again and it seems that using any sort of skip ahead feature for me makes reborn crash.
    Last edited by faspee; 09-17-2015 at 07:03 PM.

Basic Member
    Made an account to post about this issue. Got some images to share:

The other day I downloaded a replay (id:1798243138) http://imgur.com/px5PY1w
    • A couple of times when I want to watch a replay, this happens: The replay "crashes" and goes back to the previous screen. The replay loads, but fails to start. http://imgur.com/FFieaYy
    • If the replay load, and I jump about 10min+ into the replay, the entire client crash and I end up back at my desktop screen. I have to wait for an amount of time in order to be able to jump to different time slots without having the client crashing.
    • The replays will be stored on your computer, but wont show up in the replay section as shown here: http://imgur.com/bKZyjer
    • And on a slightly unrelated noted, here is a courier bug http://imgur.com/iaQmbQ6

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-ro View Post
    Wait, is there still a way to access the old client for me to capture my old replays ? if so, could you good sir point me in the correct direction ?
    No, unfortunately. But people kept backups of the old client releases, so I am sure that someone has kept the old Dota 2 client on their HD if they have intentions to work with it later on.

I realised that it probably would have been possible to install Steam on a different account/PC, and install Dota 2, then put Steam offline and run it like that, but since so many of my old replays stopped being playable I couldn't really be bothered in the end
    "It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."
    Io, the Guardian Wisp

Basic Member
    Thanks, i'll have to search on my old steam backups then to see if i still have the old client, it still sucks tho, i mean, at least asking before deleting the old client on update would have been nice of them, oh well, thanks a lot .