Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sound Effects are Poor, some are good.

Basic Member

Sound Effects are Poor, some are good.

I had recieved the Beta invite and thought it was great to be able to finally play Dota 2!

However, it came to me that I should probably post some reflections on the experiences I find as I play it.

The purpose of my posts are simply my opinion on the content of the game. Basically: What works? What doesn't? What's annoying/stupid? What's great/cool? Etc...

So as the title says: Sound Effects are poor.

I'm sorry, I really am, but after playing the beta for about 4-5 days, I found the only thing that truley annoys me. It's the sound effects. I don't mean to sound offensive but it seems the pool, or work team on these sound effects, didn't put 100% commitment to the actions/spells/or objects that are in use accurately. What I mean (as many threads have said) is that when a blade slices an enemy, there's no intensity. I'm expecting a nice GASH/SLASH SWHASHCCKK sound, but all I hear is a pretty pathetic paper cut. (Heard on some of Rikimarus attacks). There's no intensity in some of the spell effects either. Such as the Queen of Pain. Her Ultimate is a "Scream" not a tribal warcry. She sounds like she's yelling a mating call.

So I'll just update this with sound effects that I like and don't like in a list, simply based on what I find:

Rikimarus dagger cuts: Needs improvement on the slash sound. The backstab sounds nice.
    Queen of Pain: Her screams sound like ALALALALA (I'm serious; is this a mating call? What the crap?) Make her sound more fierce, she needs that impending pain that's about to hit your ears in her yells.
    Zeus: Great thunder sounds for his spells.
    Broodmother: Absolutely love the voice. Her spells sound great for her.
    N'aix: I like all his sounds too, his voice is wonderful.

(QUICK QUESTION: Why is it an absolute neccesary must to give all beast creatures a voice? This wasn't original, but I know this game isn't Dota (1), but come on? Are you guys not going to try out creature sound effects? I feel dissapointed.)

Ursa: I like Ursa's roar, haven't heard his voice yet.
    Lich: EXTREMELY dissapointed about his Nova and Chain ice sound effects. They literally sound like electricity, not ice. Frost Nova sounds horribly, like you shocked the enemy with a lightly powered taser. His Chain Ice sound effect (ultimate) sounds like the same thing, but duller and more of a camera lens taking a loud snapshot. This is horrible in my opinion. It's Ice!!! Frost! Winter! Add a blizzard loop or something, it sounds terrible I M O.

Alchemist: His breathing is dreadfully annoying. What the heck is that sound anyways? Sounds like someone is deep breathing down a tube.
    Enigma: He's alright. Not much to say.

MORE SOON...

NEW:

I played some new heros:

Nevermore: I actually love the voice for this hero, I mean it fits his/hers (:P) "souls" theme. The only thing I'd love to hear improvement on is the Q W E ability of Shadow Raze (I forgot the name). You know when people say: Hey your voice definately doesnt match your face. Well I get that impression from the spell. When the shadow "explodes" out of the ground, for some reason the sound effect sounds like a weird "chime-like enhanced auto-attack (with much more depth)". Personally, I really don't expect this, especially since it's a "Shadow". I really expect a darker, deeper, more threatening noise. The initial pop is nice, but where the crap does that weird chime come from? How does a shadow make a sound? (Spectre joke.. lol :P).

Speaking of:

Spectre: Absolutely love the voice, probably one of my favorites. Ultimate sound effect: Unfortantely if you've heard the LoL (Oh my god I am a disgrace bringning LoL into this), but the rip-off hero (Nocturne) of spectre in that game has an ult that really puts a nice sound effect into the game. That's my only complaint about Spectre. I would love to hear her ult more menacing. The player should feel way more paranoid to hear something that sounds shocking and nerve wracking, than a soft thin noise it already has. (I say this because it's not threatening).

Lightning Revenant/Razor: I actually.. haha... like his voice. Great Work on the effect too. I love all his lightning effects. Overall every sound fits that hero.

SIDE RANT:

Why do like 80% of the INTEL heros share the same auto-attack noise? Examples would include Invoker and I think Lesherac? I might have these wrong. But listen to the auto-attacks of like all of them. Some have unique ones, but the auto-attacks are way distinctively different looking, so why would they sound the same? Maybe I'm wrong, but I suggest anyone to take a look into this.

Invoker: Love the voice. Love the spell effects, they have great matching sound effects. I love EMPs ramp up anticipation of that internal countdown of: OMG Gotta move (3: Static gathering) GOTTA MOVE (2: Crackling of Energy) Awwww crap (1: Big Explosion sound).

SIDE NOTE: Invoker and Magina (Anti-Mage), and some heros use language like (Methinks, thou, thee, and stuff similar (or is) period language. Does this imply they are from the same age (era)? Just wondering. It's just funny to hear, IMO, coming from an Actor (myself).

MORE TO COME SOON... If anything offends you, just ignore it. This is just IMO feedback.
    Last edited by WarpAvP2; 02-02-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: More Feedback

+1 only on the beast creature voice.. other than that,in my opinion i think they did a great job.no offense

I don't have so much of a problem with any of the effects sounding 'bad' per se. I just don't think a lot of them are as distinct as they should be, like mirana's arrow for instance, it is basically completely silent while pucks orb you can hear from bot lane when he's top, everything's so inconsistent that it's hard to tell when something's coming at you from a sound perspective. I think it's really important to have audio cues match up to things that are happening around you (not across the map) otherwise you just have to tune things out because they don't correspond to something that is actually near you and when it does end up being near you you have less warning.

Basic Member
    Indeed, impressions are mixed, but some sound really needs improvement, I sincerely hope Valve doesn't ignore this feedback.

Basic Member
    +1, i have the same impression too, the sounds in the game just don't give a good impression. Some sounds can be heard all the way across the map like the scream "E" of QOP and many more. Even when heroes are attacking it just does not give a feeling.

Hope there is some improvement/some feedback from valve.

Basic Member
    i will just leave this here:
    "I SAID GOOD DAY SIR !"

shit it amazing

Quote Originally Posted by rtdm View Post
    i will just leave this here:
    "I SAID GOOD DAY SIR !"

shit it amazing
    This

Basic Member
    Edited Original Post to add More

Basic Member
    Why do like 80% of the INTEL heros share the same auto-attack noise? Examples would include Invoker and I think Lesherac? I might have these wrong. But listen to the auto-attacks of like all of them. Some have unique ones, but the auto-attacks are way distinctively different looking, so why would they sound the same? Maybe I'm wrong, but I suggest anyone to take a look into this.
    I totally agree. While the sound effects are amazing and sound great in themselves I've been having trouble associating the sounds with specific attacks and most of the time they seem really counter-intuitive, at least to me. I'm assuming through playing more games I'll associate the sounds to abilities but right off the bat I'm having trouble separating attack sounds to the different characters. A lot of them sound very magical and sharp but I find it hard to distinguish sounds between characters in that they sound very similar.

Basic Member
    I dissagree 99% and i cant find the 1% thats bad I just dont like Tiny.
    Void is the coolest!