Thread: [BUG] Can't download and play some custom games

Exclamation [Updated] Bug and fix to games not donwloading and "Error accessing workshop files"

EDIT: Fixed it myself.

I deleted ugcmsgcache folder in userdata then I went to workshop folder and renamed appworkshop_570.acf to appworkshop_570.txt
    and in that file I found leftover workshop ids from games I was unsubscribed, that file still had these app ids as installed, so I deleted these lines and saved file, then renamed it back to appworkshop_570.acf
    and restart steam, once I did this Overthrow started to download and I was able to play it.

I checked all ids from file via workshop page urls, I replace id in url to see what game is under that id and there was over 10 games I unsubscribed long ago but they were there showed as installed in that file.

Also don't have 0 kb downloads notification anymore, it was also casued by leftover ids in that file.

Please fix this error so we don't need to manualy fix it.

Thanks !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orginal post:

As title says I can't download some custom games I played before.

For example Overthrow and Legends of Dota, I had those games but I unsubscribed because I had some bug where steam "downloaded" 0 kb workshop files so I unsubscribed from all my custom games to test if that is gonna stop this 0 kb download notifications.

Today I went to download overthrow again and checked subscribe button, but nothing was downloaded, it was same with few other games (Pudge Wars, Warlock, Rubic Wars..etc). I run Dota and tried to install and uninstall few times from ingame but games were not downloading, and when I click install, game immediately tells me that game is installed and I get to click on "play" button even tho nothing was downloaded and because of that when I click play I get error msg "Error accessing custom game files", there are no files for this games in workshop folder and game is not downloading them.

I tried to verify game cache, I also deleted my workshop folder and checked download folder then verify, restart steam, restart game, multiple install/uninstall custom game, I also deleted ugc/570_subscriptions but nothing fixes this bug.

Something makes steam thinks I have files needed to play custom game even tho I don't have, so it doesn't download anything when I click on install.

Atm I'm subscribed to Overthrow and Dota 10v10, but in workshop folder I have files only for Dota 10v10 (thankfully I can play Dota 10v10), Overthrow is not working for me, no files in workshop folder and can't play as I get "Error accessing custom game files"

Please fix I want to play these games again.
    Last edited by glodar; 09-27-2015 at 10:40 AM.
    Thank you IceFrog, Valve and Dota 2 team for everything you doing for Dota 2 community.

Valve Developer
    Thank you for the information. We are working on a fix for this.
    If you can send me your <steam>\logs\workshop_log.txt or the appworkshop_570.txt file you saved it might help us fix this issue more quickly.

I sadly didn't save app appworkshop_570.txt, all I did was delete lines then save but not as new file and rename back to acf.

But I think that code lines were same like when you are subscribed on some custom game, instead this lines were there even tho I don't have these game installed/subscribed.

I will send you workshop_log.txt in pm.
    Last edited by glodar; 09-27-2015 at 02:09 PM.
    Thank you IceFrog, Valve and Dota 2 team for everything you doing for Dota 2 community.