Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: .vtex_c files impossible to decompile

It does nothing.
    At the very least, it doesn`t do anything than the other tools. The
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemoncakes View Post
    [ .. ]

3. Weird TGA

These files can be extracted as .tga but show up all corrupted in image editors. The colors are off, there's blocky artifacts, and some weird stretching on the bottom.

Attachment 35265

Unfortunately, the vast majority of vtex_c files are of this type and I haven't figured out how to make them look right. Will post update if/when I do.
    are still the weird CIELAB TGAs.
    "There is no shortcut to work done true and well. The Creators learned this to their sorrow, the first time they made the world."
    Githri the Prisoner

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGester View Post
    For what it's worth, this actually did work on some VTEX types like PNG and RGB8888. It throws exceptions on DXT5 encoding though.

I forked the ValveResourceFormat repo so I could test the way MonoGame decompresses DXT5 textures (seems to be TGA compressed with DXT5 which are having color issues when decompressed). Anyway, that algorithm had the same coloring issue as what is currently in use in the ValveResourceFormat application.

Looking at the resource data of the images in question (using ValveResourceFormat) revealed this:

Code:
    CResourceString m_String = "Texture Compiler Version Image YCoCg Conversion"
    So, does that mean the texture compiler is converting to YCoCg colorspace prior to compression? Which means it would need to be converted back to RGB on decompression? I'm not really experienced with image formats, but I have an interest in decompiling these assets.

Apparently.
    Is there any tool available to convert that shit?
    I tried and failed to find anything.
    "There is no shortcut to work done true and well. The Creators learned this to their sorrow, the first time they made the world."
    Githri the Prisoner

I tried ImageMagick which is known for converting everything and even that failed. I'm not confident the decompression tools are decompressing correctly though, so it may not be ImageMagick's fault.

Okey.

Good news. The format used`s definitely YCgCo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YCgCo). I`ve managed to compile a YCgCo formatted image using it`s Valve-spinoff, and my Dota 2 client displayed it correctly. The schema Valve`s using`s the following:
    R: Co
    G: Cg
    B: Edit: Nope, it`s not Alpha. It`s .. something. Can`t discern what, tho.
    A: Y
    Last edited by Selaya; 11-30-2015 at 06:02 PM.
    Githri the Prisoner

I opened an issue on the ValveResourceFormat GitHub repo and I believe the author and myself have discovered a solution. You can read more here: https://github.com/SteamDatabase/Val...ment-161052606

FYI this is fixed in the latest version of ValveResourceFormat.

Alright, thanks!
    Githri the Prisoner