Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Importer crashes when compiling a DMX

Importer crashes when compiling a DMX

The new blender source tools added support for the Source 2 DMX formats but every time I attempt to compile one the client instantly crashes.
    I'm trying to import a Flexed item, this was possible in source 1 but I can't seem to replicate the results anymore.

Compiling as a plain old SMD works but it lacks the flex data I wanted.
    Is there anyway to apply a VTA to a compiled smd via the model editor or maybe the possibility of a compiler feature that obtains vta files of smds with the same name?

For context the character I'm compiling for is Rubick

Texture is just a place holder

thanks in advance

Valve Developer
    Hi, could you provide a copy of the DMX in question? (Attach to the thread if it's small enough, otherwise upload it to dropbox.)

This could be an issue with the Blender Source Tools - what version are you using? They appear to have released an additional update (2.6.1) since adding support for Source2 DMX, that may fix the issue.

In the meantime, the Source 2 workshop tools still support Source 1 DMX files - if you export a Source 1 DMX do you have any problems?

My dropbox is full atm so I hope sendspace is ok for now
    Included is a few mesh files and the materials
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/hhvtxk

I've also included the High smd and vta incase those help

Hawt

I tried yesterday with DMX and it was working, but it did not have any flex information... maybe that is the crashing reason

edit: I was using DMX only for the animation files, the models were on FBX
    Last edited by Tvidotto; 10-15-2015 at 05:39 PM.

DMX is designed to carry flex information and if that's what's causing Dota to crash then I don't think DMX is functioning the way it should.

You were right, I tried DMX on the model files now and it crashed the import dialog window.
    my DMX was simple skinned model, no blend shapes

Valve Developer
    Thanks for the repro case! The Blender exporter was generating a DMX file with no DmeTransform "transform" attribute on the root DmeModel element, which Source 2’s model compiler wasn’t expecting. We’ve changed the compiler to handle this case and will ship the fix in an upcoming update.

After the newest update it's still crashing straight to the desktop for me

"Workshop Importer: Fixed infinite hang when importing geometry with certain types of morph data"
    I assumed this patch note meant the dmx issue was fixed, if not than I probably misunderstood.

Is there any way to apply this DmeTransform "transform" attribute to the root DmeModel element manually?
    Last edited by Hawt Koffee; 10-16-2015 at 09:49 PM.

Valve Developer
    Sorry for the confusion: the fix was not present in the update released last week. I'll reply to this post when it's been released so we can confirm that it addresses your problem.
    Unfortunately I'm not aware of a way for you to manually work around the problem.

alright, thanks for the update