Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scripting

added some brainstorming to my post
    specs for bugreports:
    i5-4200U
    AMD Radeon HD 8750M
    win 7

Basic Member
    A replay saves all actions as far as i know. can someone (or some script) read through it for abnormal fast actions? this would be a possible way to prevent abuse in tournaments.
    as for public usage i dont know how to prevent this

Basic Member
    I have to agree. Scripting kills the need of skill to master this hero. Spamming a lot of Spells during a clash or evading other Spells with Ghostwalk just becomes to easy.
    Of course I can understand that feeling like Ferrari(430) while playing Invoker is something that pushs one's ego, but isn't it true, that the fruits earned by hard work are tasting much better than the easy achieved ones?

"Mastery is knowing how to do things fast and it is knowing when and how to do them properly."
    The more skill you need to be better than others, the better the game is as far as it goes for competitive character. At least in my opinion.

best option would be "forbid scripting".

Basic Member
    100% agree, should not be possible.

Basic Member
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?...ll=1#post98016
    I surely packed all my hate and rage towards script kiddies and all the pain and joy of my invoker experience into one epic post of epicness.

I think scripting isn't necessarily a bad thing. Scripting might help people with certain things. Like, when I played LoL I kinda got used to holding space bar to center camera on your hero, and have a bind: bind SPACE "dota_camera_center; dota_camera_center" that allows me to have that. I don't like the idea of double tapping F1 or spacebar to simply center on my hero.

Granted, in the case of invoker, you can essentially create scripts to make him easy mode. This is the problem. He has soo many more spells than most of the roster and was designed to be hard to play and harder to master. This is where scripting is bad.

The only idea I can think of at the moment is to prevent all hero and item actions from becoming part of a multiple line binds. What I mean is, if you create a bind to: bind 3 "abilityQ; abilityQ; abilityR; abilityW; abilityW; Imnotgoingtopretendiknowinvoker; Item4; Item4" would not do anything. Scipts will only work for non ability/item console commands and will prevent you from being able to create a bind to blink you into a fight as Earthshaker and then slam your totem to the ground.

That's all I got for right now.

Basic Member
    in invokers case,scipting does makes invoker a easy hero.
    Minority of comunity knows how to play invoker properly.With script,that minority goes to majority.Wrong.

The idea of scripts not being able to include a hero abilities in their queues is very good,but,since script do emulate a push of a button,i dont think its possible to know if the player or the script pushed it.
    So,a very fast invoker player could get wrongly accused of being a script user.
    And,like some1 said,even if the do the measurements,and come up with the fastest time some player could use spells,then the script can be set to mimic that exact time,thus appearing like a human playspeed.

solution lies in some way of scanning for 3rd party aplications.But that makes a Valve act like an origin from EA.And its not the way to go

Dota 2 is gonna be constant developing game,so,any thing that u would normally use scripts for could be suggested on this forum,so Devs would implement it straight into the game,rather than forcing u to use script.
    So,with that said,the only reason for some1 to use script in dota 2(in long terms) is gonna be the invoker play.

Another idea is to develope a system(which should be too hard),only for invoker,that would be recording the keys pressed/emulated during the entire game to Valves servers.
    It would be taking too much space,since it would sonsist of only keys,like a notepad file.
    Now,there would be a Valve's script,that would(after the game is finished and that log saved) check the keys pressed in the game,and by that scanning for known comboes.
    For example,if the button 6 is used by 3dparty script to emulate a Wind walk invoke,and a button V to use it,scipt would expect to see a following combination:
    W+E+E+V
    However,if some1 was using a script,the log would have a
    6+W+E+E+V
    Now,since that "6" is no part of invoke spells,that log would become suspicious.
    Now,that Valve's script that is automatically scanning the logs would report that to the human developers,who would take a closer look and check it.
    Offcourse,logs wouldnt include a keys pressed when chat window is ON,so only keys in that log would be a keys used for skills.
    And they would be deleted after the automatic script fininshed scanning them.

So,we get a fast and efficient method of scanning for script,not to mention that it would be upgradeable(in case some1 develeps a script to mask the keys),it woulnt take too much space since logs would bedeletable,it wouldnt record any keys pressed that arent the part of the spell casting(thus keeping the privacy intact) and most of all,there would be a an automated system that would scan those logs,so Devs wouldnt have additional job checking those,since they would only inspect a logs that are tagged as suspicious.
    Last edited by 4evra; 01-21-2012 at 05:31 AM.

hmm, you might be right in that scripts simulate human actions so it might be hard to detect.

I'm trying to recall what it was like, and what Valve did about buy scripts in CS 1.6. I THINK they implemented a system in the game where you could buy everything you bought from the last round, so that players would stop using 3rd party programs to make the game easier. I can't imagine them implementing a macro set for Invoker spells in DotA 2 though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4evra View Post
    in invokers case,scipting does makes invoker a easy hero.
    Minority of comunity knows how to play invoker properly.With script,that minority goes to majority.Wrong.

The idea of scripts not being able to include a hero abilities in their queues is very good,but,since script do emulate a push of a button,i dont think its possible to know if the player or the script pushed it.
    So,a very fast invoker player could get wrongly accused of being a script user.
    And,like some1 said,even if the do the measurements,and come up with the fastest time some player could use spells,then the script can be set to mimic that exact time,thus appearing like a human playspeed.

solution lies in some way of scanning for 3rd party aplications.But that makes a Valve act like an origin from EA.And its not the way to go

Dota 2 is gonna be constant developing game,so,any thing that u would normally use scripts for could be suggested on this forum,so Devs would implement it straight into the game,rather than forcing u to use script.
    So,with that said,the only reason for some1 to use script in dota 2(in long terms) is gonna be the invoker play.

Another idea is to develope a system(which should be too hard),only for invoker,that would be recording the keys pressed/emulated during the entire game to Valves servers.
    It would be taking too much space,since it would sonsist of only keys,like a notepad file.
    Now,there would be a Valve's script,that would(after the game is finished and that log saved) check the keys pressed in the game,and by that scanning for known comboes.
    For example,if the button 6 is used by 3dparty script to emulate a Wind walk invoke,and a button V to use it,scipt would expect to see a following combination:

However,if some1 was using a script,the log would have a

Now,since that "6" is no part of invoke spells,that log would become suspicious.
    Now,that Valve's script that is automatically scanning the logs would report that to the human developers,who would take a closer look and check it.
    Offcourse,logs wouldnt include a keys pressed when chat window is ON,so only keys in that log would be a keys used for skills.
    And they would be deleted after the automatic script fininshed scanning them.

So,we get a fast and efficient method of scanning for script,not to mention that it would be upgradeable(in case some1 develeps a script to mask the keys),it woulnt take too much space since logs would bedeletable,it wouldnt record any keys pressed that arent the part of the spell casting(thus keeping the privacy intact) and most of all,there would be a an automated system that would scan those logs,so Devs wouldnt have additional job checking those,since they would only inspect a logs that are tagged as suspicious.
    multiple wrongs.
    First off, third party programs?
    as of now, source engine will gladly run your scripts without any problem. YOu can make scripts for the actual game to run smoothly ingame.
    Also: I have a Keyboard with macro keys and can also put macroes to my mouse like np. Do you really want to try to detect stuff like that? Tho these macroes won't run on garena, at least I haven't managed yet to do so for the keyboard, strangely, the mouse binds work just fine, I put 2 inventory slots in there cause war3 doesn't allow putting inventory keys anywhere else but on the default position on the numpad.
    Whichever program receives the keyboard input first can filter out the macro triggering keys and replace them with other actions. For example, Blamestars Hotkey tool will remap any key to mouse movements to a specific point and simulate clicks there, while also suppressing the original key input.
    Making my keyboard macro keys bypass Garena would probably only take increasing the priority of the keyboard software's process.

Sure, theres a way to filter certain scripts and theres a way to detect anything but theres also a way around everything of it.

Let's do some brainstorming.
    First off, you need to make a declaration:
    "Scripting Invoker spells is a bannable offense." would be enough.
    Next: Cutting off all the ways to script invoker spells with the use of the source engines scripting functionality.
    Third: Create a tool which can check replays for scripting. Just repetitive patterns in invoke speed etc. No human can produce the exact same key input like 60 times without any difference in speed.
    Now: Any replay sent with a complaint about a possible scripting done by a certain player in the game can be checked with that tool and in case, he's fount guilty, he can just be banned/warned/put into low priority matchmaking/excluded from non-private games for some time/stats reset/... Enough possibilities.