Thread: Discrepancy between GetMatchHistory and GetMatchHistoryBySeqNumber

Basic Member

Question Discrepancy between GetMatchHistory and GetMatchHistoryBySeqNumber

OK, if I use GetMatchHistory, with no filters, returning as many results as I can, I am lucky if I get around 30 matches a minute (in fact that is quite high). It seems that the games just don't pour into GetMatchDetails. Now of course it doesn't seem like its wrong, its just a modest trickle.

However, if I walk through GetMatchHistoryBySeqNumber to the highest available seq number, and then keep polling it for every time a newer higher seq number the amount of matches is much much larger, somewhere on the order of hundreds a minute.

I would assume that as a match concludes it will be given a match sequence number, but even if this were the case, we wouldn't expect to see this number continuously output hundreds of matches while getMatchHistory, which also returns matches as they are completed, only outputs a far small selection of results.

So why the big difference, is one query outputting more types of games than the other (custom games perhaps?)?

afaik they should return the same things.
    you should take a look at the data that you get in GMHBSN that isn't in GMH, and compare it to the stuff that is in GMH.

there may be some matches that are pushed further back in the GMH results that show up in GMHBSN because you are iterating the entire collection.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuppetMaster42 View Post
    afaik they should return the same things.
    you should take a look at the data that you get in GMHBSN that isn't in GMH, and compare it to the stuff that is in GMH.

there may be some matches that are pushed further back in the GMH results that show up in GMHBSN because you are iterating the entire collection.
    I mean you should be able to do this too. This is easy as pie to test because I am not doing anything clever. Just a loop that continuously gets the highest seq num and uses it as the starting point in the get GMHBSN and then another loop that just constantly polls GMH and throws it into a DB ensuring each match_id is a unique entry.

The counts aren't even close. I mean it certainly is possible I am doing something incredibly dumb (Wouldn't be the first time!) but I don't see how.

i believe the reason this happens is that GMH actually returns matches in matchid order.
    but the matches don't show up till they're finished.

which means that if match (A) starts and before it finishes, 500 other matches start and finish - match (A) will never show up in GMH, but it will show up in GMHBSN.
    which is a much more common occurence than you might think considering how many 40+ minute 5v5 matches there are, and how many sub 15 min matches 1v1 matches there are.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuppetMaster42 View Post
    i believe the reason this happens is that GMH actually returns matches in matchid order.
    but the matches don't show up till they're finished.

which means that if match (A) starts and before it finishes, 500 other matches start and finish - match (A) will never show up in GMH, but it will show up in GMHBSN.
    which is a much more common occurence than you might think considering how many 40+ minute 5v5 matches there are, and how many sub 15 min matches 1v1 matches there are.
    If this is true, its going to be a nightmare to figure out Skill rating for all matches!

Basic Member
    Actually it will just be impossible to get skill rating for all the games.