Thread: [CTD] Crashing when running dota_launch_custom_game while still in a game

Basic Member

[CTD] Crashing when running dota_launch_custom_game while still in a game

Dropbox dmp https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqeneduffa...704_1.dmp?dl=0

The game crashes to the desktop when I run dota_launch_custom_game while the game is in progress.

You don't say, Sherlock...

First, are you familiar with the concept of UNRELEASED?
    For example, after the difficult copy&paste operation from github into Dota 2, the game refused to launch. But since it's unreleased I would not expect support from the custom game creator and most definitely not from Valve so I started checking the files. All well. Then launched the game but with the default dota map and it worked (albeit, in a weird way). So I've double-clicked element_td map in Asset Browser to launch Hammer, then run build map and finally got it fixed.

Second, the how you launch and crash the game is unclear, I see you have a modified launch line that looks outdated but should work nevertheless:
    "dota2.exe" -addon element_td -tools -steam -dx11 +dota_combine_models 0 -novid -dashboard international_2012 -language english
    - Are you able to run the normal Dota 2 without CTDs? How about sequential loading maps without CTDs?
    - Are you able to run official custom games without CTDs? How about sequential loading custom games without CTDs?
    - Are you able to run demo addon rpg_example once without CTDs? How about sequential loading it without CTDs?
    - Are you able to launch the unreleased addon once without CTDs? Is sequential entering dota_launch_custom_game element_td element_td into vconsole resulting in CTD? How about you don't do that, and close and reopen Workshop Tools. Even better, create an ElementTD desktop shortcut with target:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\game\bin\win64\dota2.exe" -addon element_td -tools +dota_launch_custom_game element_td element_td
    - How is your taskmanager looking when that happens?
    Personally I have no trouble repeating the command in vconsole as many times as I want, but I did experience it in the past, when it was spawning a new dota2.exe process on each map load, without closing the previous one(s). These days, bad software firewalls like Eset's can trigger such bug.

Other than that:
    - you are running the game as administrator, by itself making the game more susceptible to crashes from external factors (hooks), windows issues (denied permissions for game libraries) and driver bugs.
    You should re-enable UAC if it's off and remove any compatibility options you have set for dota2.exe in both win32 and win64 variants.
    - the crash is in scaleform and seems to be triggered by admin mode>denied permissions + nvidia driver bug(Geforce Experience).
    You should uninstall and clean the current driver using DDU, then only install Driver + Physics.
    Last edited by aveyo; 12-08-2015 at 05:12 AM. Reason: formatting

Basic Member
    Was not expecting such a detailed response.

How did you view the .dmp for future reference?

I don't understand why sequentially entering dota_launch_custom_game is a bad thing? It is part of the tools and should work correctly otherwise it is bad design. I use it since it is much faster than relaunching the tools while testing.

I have used DDU and installed only the necessary drivers however we will see if it works. There are no compatibility options enabled and I don't want to re-enable UAC since it disrupts my workflow.

I've seen the announcement about it on PAS, but it's not my kind of game. Did not even have Workshop Tools installed. Still, decided to check it out expecting problems since it's (also)made by Noya, the guy that never releases working stuff, only GIFs.

I'm using Debugging Tools for Windows / my custom tool.

As I've said, it's not a bad thing for me, it works every time, so it must be an issue with your system, not with the Workshop Tools.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aveyo View Post
    I've seen the announcement about it on PAS, but it's not my kind of game. Did not even have Workshop Tools installed. Still, decided to check it out expecting problems since it's (also)made by Noya, the guy that never releases working stuff, only GIFs.
    PAS?

I working alongside Noya on this project, I just finished up on the porting of the UI from scaleform to Panorama and was initially in charge of getting the game working in reborn since the code was over a year old when I first looked at it.

Ooops. Noya is more familiarized with that: Patch Anticipation Station, the only (misc) thread worth following here, where the IceFrog himself makes appearances
    Tuning down the meme's, I have to admit that Noya and you have done a great job. You've quite surprised me with that, I would not have taken you for a dev from the initial bug report and the command line, so apologies for my condescending-ish tone.
    If I can help further in tracking your issue, I will gladly do it.