Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A side project I'm working on

Cool The Dota Database Site + App

Site: http://dotadatabase.net/.
    Windows 10 App: Data Viewer for Dota 2

Hi all. Just wanted to share with you something I'm working on in case you're interested and want to give some feedback.

Currently it provides some live league game data, heroes and hero ability meta data, items and item ability meta data, league listings, and a generic map/legend. The data is automatically updated by a combination of using the Web API and background processes which upload and process Dota 2 files from the game client.

The intention is to expose all properties and meta data about things like heroes, leagues, items, cosmetics, shop items, etc. Sometimes there are properties applied to abilities that aren't exposed via tooltips. It's useful to see this data if you're curious about making your own items in custom games that act like items from the actual game. For example, blink dagger has a "blink range clamp" property that isn't exposed in game, but is obviously used by the game.

All data being used is publicly available from the game client files and Web API and does not require any reverse engineering through SteamKit or other client "spoofing" applications.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks.
    Last edited by arosian; 03-05-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Basic Member
    Is this an ASP.NET MVC project ?

You should use AJAX to automatically update the live games information.

The map is outdated on http://dotadb.azurewebsites.net/map

Make the menu bar position fixed, so it scrolls with the viewport and is easily accessible throughout the page.

The matches tab isn't working.

Anyways, looks good so far
    Last edited by wolf633; 12-10-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Thanks much for the feedback. Every bit is helpful.

Yes, it's ASP.NET MVC hosted in Azure.

I agree that live games should auto-refresh since right now it requires manual.

The map is still a work in progress, but what do you mean it's outdated? Any specifics?

Matches tab still unavailable, I didn't hide the menu yet... oops!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arosian View Post
    The map is still a work in progress, but what do you mean it's outdated? Any specifics?
    No problem

It's the old map, just look at where the rosh pit is located.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf633 View Post
    No problem

It's the old map, just look at where the rosh pit is located.
    Oh man you're right. There's no smiley for a forehead slap to express myself.

looks great!

out of curiosity how much does it cost you to do the hosting on azure?
    I've been wanting to do a full rewrite from php to C# for fun, but I didn't want to be paying a packet for a pet project (currently paying $15/yr for my php hosting, so I didn't want to be spending $100+/yr on azure hosting).

Quote Originally Posted by MuppetMaster42 View Post
    looks great!

out of curiosity how much does it cost you to do the hosting on azure?
    I've been wanting to do a full rewrite from php to C# for fun, but I didn't want to be paying a packet for a pet project (currently paying $15/yr for my php hosting, so I didn't want to be spending $100+/yr on azure hosting).
    You can actually run php in Azure just fine. There's support for Java, C#, php, node.js and more.

As for pricing, it can get a bit complicated, overwhelming, expensive, and requires some "finesse" to make sure you aren't being drained empty. It also depends heavily on your use cases and what exactly you want. Basically, you're charged for every "component" that you want to use. Start here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...s/app-service/

Components can be App Service (web sites, web APIs, background services), SQL Server / MySQL databases, Virtual Machines, File Storage, Encrypted Key Vaults, CDNs, and a bunch of other stuff. For simple projects, you can usually get away with just an App Service and host your web site on a cheaper plan (maybe around $0 to $10 / month). But if you want to get databases involved, CDNs, and storage, you're looking at around $50-$100 per month.

Now keep in mind that an App Service (your web site's container) can actually contain many simultaneous web sites without an additional cost. It's basically a virtual machine with a web server installed in which you can host a lot of apps. Depending on your tier (let's say you pick standard from the link above), you can put an unlimited number of web sites in that container for the same price. Obviously you'll be limited by shared memory, CPU, and disk space, but you can certainly push it to the limit. For example, I have 15 web sites, 2 virtual machines, 4-5 file storages, a CDN, and a few SQL Server instances being hosted for about $70 per month.

As for my personal pricing, I'm actually piggy-backing on $150 / month credits that I get as a registered startup through Microsoft's BizSpark program. You can apply for free with whatever your idea is. Their incentive to give you these credits is so that you develop a business around Azure and rely on it for years to come thus making them money.

Quote Originally Posted by arosian View Post
    You can actually run php in Azure just fine. There's support for Java, C#, php, node.js and more.
    Yeah I've seen how many options they have now.
    Back in the day at uni I spent all my time in PHP and Java, but since getting a job, I spend my time pretty much solely in C# and JavaScript.
    I went back a few weeks ago to try and do some upgrades to my PHP site, and I just couldn't deal with it and left it as is haha.

Last time I did a rewrite was just after I'd started my job, so I was still okay with PHP, but was hell into JavaScript, so I made it mostly client side, with just PHP for rest services.
    But after being spoilt with entity framework and the .NET DB drivers, I just can't bring myself to go back and write the db code in PHP, and I couldn't find a simple php orm.

[QUOTE]As for pricing, it can get a bit complicated, overwhelming, expensive, and requires some "finesse" to make sure you aren't being drained empty. It also depends heavily on your use cases and what exactly you want. Basically, you're charged for every "component" that you want to use. Start here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...s/app-service/

We have some stuff deployed to azure here, and I play around in the portal, doing redeploys and such, but I don't get to see the bills or anything, so I didn't know how it was setup or what costs #enterprisesubscription.
    We have a separate cloud service set up for each web application.
    It's a terrible idea in terms of costs, but it sure makes writing and deploying enhancements simple (and it means that we don't have to worry about scaling as much).

For simple projects, you can usually get away with just an App Service and host your web site on a cheaper plan (maybe around $0 to $10 / month). But if you want to get databases involved, CDNs, and storage, you're looking at around $50-$100 per month.
    For example, I have 15 web sites, 2 virtual machines, 4-5 file storages, a CDN, and a few SQL Server instances being hosted for about $70 per month.
    That's not that bad actually. Though it's a bit restrictive for a pet project.
    The db side was what I was worried about and was what scared me off when I looked into it a while back.

As for my personal pricing, I'm actually piggy-backing on $150 / month credits that I get as a registered startup through Microsoft's BizSpark program. You can apply for free with whatever your idea is. Their incentive to give you these credits is so that you develop a business around Azure and rely on it for years to come thus making them money.
    I'll have to look into it the bizspark program. i'd love to run it all for free ;D

Yeah I've seen how many options they have now.
    Last time I did a rewrite was just after I'd started my job, so I was still okay with PHP, but was hell into JavaScript, so I made it mostly client side, with just PHP for rest services.
    But after being spoilt with entity framework and the .NET DB drivers, I just can't bring myself to go back and write the db code in PHP, and I couldn't find a simple php orm.
    Oh man I'm the same way. University was all PHP, and work has been all C#. The .NET framework just makes it so nice to do complicated things that took forever to do with the frustrating limitations and cruft in PHP.

The db side was what I was worried about and was what scared me off when I looked into it a while back.
    If you want to use SQL Server, it's really easy to setup and I think costs around $5 / month to start. Anything else is less "wizardy" and requires you setting up a Windows or Linux VM to install whatever database you prefer (mysql, mongodb, etc...). Basically a VM let's you do whatever you want.

I'll have to look into it the bizspark program. i'd love to run it all for free ;D
    Yea check it out. Basically just think of some idea you want to build in Azure and with Microsoft products, pitch it in your application, and see what happens. You can apply multiple times and even apply through a sponsor if you can find one. I just Googled for "local BizSpark sponsors", emailed the guy, pitched my idea, and had him give me a code to make the application easier.

How did you get the item and ability data out? It looks like that information was dropped from reborn.