Thread: Tools crash while using particle editor

Basic Member

Tools crash while using particle editor

I was trying to edit elder titan's "elder_titan_earth_splitter". Children particles didn't show up nor were they named as they are here:

http://imgur.com/tpHDrXi

Tried reloading from disk, and they still didnt show up. Used the pull from global button and it only gave me the name of the parent. So I reloaded the particle editor which still had the same problem. Double clicked on where the normal image to the child would be, and it crashed the particle edit.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Open particle system parent in the particle editor.

2) If no children particles show under functions, double click where their image would be.

3) If they do show up, keep loading particle systems until they dont (seems unreliable).

For information, I was working on an instanced particle system of elder titan's ultimate. Didn't previously change any parameters.

Hi, I just opened this particle in the editor and saved a copy to my local mod folder.
    I tried reproducing your steps but the Particle's children loaded and animated at the same time when I hit step one.
    Have you checked your vConsole for errors when opening this particle?
    lXPgf.jpg

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluerebel View Post
    Hi, I just opened this particle in the editor and saved a copy to my local mod folder.
    I tried reproducing your steps but the Particle's children loaded and animated at the same time when I hit step one.
    Have you checked your vConsole for errors when opening this particle?
    lXPgf.jpg
    I haven't seen the probblem since but if you ever open a particle system parent and the children don't load, try double clickign the children to open them and it should crash. If I see it again, I'll look at console before inducing the crash.

Also, for some reason if you import the particle system it only shows the end cap particles for a single frame - not sure why that is. I've managed to edit the rest of the particle system on another instance but I can't think of a way to trigger the endcap without "stop effect after duration".

Here is my custom particle system off the elder_titan_splitter: http://imgur.com/wgNvG9Q

The path is from control point 0 -> 1. Stop effect after duration is set to .75 but the end cap effect still only plays for a single frame. It completes the path then 1 frame of the end cap effect.

Current position co-ordinates non-tracable. Unknown space.
    "Stop effect after duration" kills the particle and its children after the allotted time, if I recall correctly. You setting it to 0.75 only plays the particle for 0.75 seconds. You want to replace "Lifespan decay" with "lifespan endcap timed decay" and set the time to something like 0. Then go into base properties and change its lifetime to however long you want the particle to last before activating its endcap. Also, you need to assign the child particle you want to fire as an actual endcap effect. You can do this by selecting its name in the list of child particles within the parent particle and check the "child particle" option so that it fires when the parent effect gets killed.

Edit: I realize you are using a continuous emitter, in which case you can attempt to set an emission duration in the emitter to kill the particle safely to set up for the endcap effect.

Basic Member
    Well found a console log. Create an instance of an instanced particle system and you get the child errors:

HTML Code:
    [   AssetSystem            ]: Reloading Resource [1/1]: particles/instanced/onepunchtuskfistquarter/walking4/elder_titan_earth_splitter_instance1.vpcf
    [ W General                ]: Attempted to create particle system from RESOURCE_HANDLE_INVALID
    [ W General                ]: Attempted to create particle system from RESOURCE_HANDLE_INVALID
    [ W General                ]: CDmElement::RemoveElementChangedListener: listener not found!CDmElement::RemoveElementChangedListener: listener not found!Attempted to create particle system from RESOURCE_HANDLE_INVALID
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_smoke_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_c_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_c_glow_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_c_glow_b_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_c_glow_c_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_smoke_b_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_b_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_side_branch_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_side_branch_child_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_side_branch_child_glow_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_side_branch_child_c_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_side_branch_child_c_glow_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_b_glow_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_b_glow_2_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_cast_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_cast_c_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_cast_crack_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_cast_d_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_cast_b_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_c_glow_b_instance3_instance1.vpcf
    [   AssetSystem            ]: Flushing persistent asset info to disk, 44.9016 seconds since last, 1010 change delta
    [   AssetSystem            ]: AssetSystem saved persistent info for 1 layers / 177 assets in 0.003 sec
    [   VConComm               ]: ==============================================================
    [   VConComm               ]: =============== End VConsole Buffered Messages ===============
    [   VConComm               ]: ==============================================================
    This is what happens and if you try to add/remove/change children particles in this new instance of an instance you get the crash.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyoka View Post
    "Stop effect after duration" kills the particle and its children after the allotted time, if I recall correctly. You setting it to 0.75 only plays the particle for 0.75 seconds. You want to replace "Lifespan decay" with "lifespan endcap timed decay" and set the time to something like 0. Then go into base properties and change its lifetime to however long you want the particle to last before activating its endcap. Also, you need to assign the child particle you want to fire as an actual endcap effect. You can do this by selecting its name in the list of child particles within the parent particle and check the "child particle" option so that it fires when the parent effect gets killed.

Edit: I realize you are using a continuous emitter, in which case you can attempt to set an emission duration in the emitter to kill the particle safely to set up for the endcap effect.
    I ended up just adding my own endcap effects to the parent one then adjusting the children and it worked, but for some reason I noticed I couldn't actually see the normal endcap children that were with the particle system. So I just re added them as "extra" endcap effects and modified the rest of the system and children from there.

Quote Originally Posted by moartuba View Post
    Well found a console log. Create an instance of an instanced particle system and you get the child errors:

HTML Code:
    [   AssetSystem            ]: Reloading Resource [1/1]: particles/instanced/onepunchtuskfistquarter/walking4/elder_titan_earth_splitter_instance1.vpcf
    [ W General                ]: CDmElement::RemoveElementChangedListener: listener not found!CDmElement::RemoveElementChangedListener: listener not found!Attempted to create particle system from RESOURCE_HANDLE_INVALID
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_smoke_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_c_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_c_glow_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_c_glow_b_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_c_glow_c_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_smoke_b_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_b_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_side_branch_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_side_branch_child_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_side_branch_child_glow_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_side_branch_child_c_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_side_branch_child_c_glow_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_b_glow_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_b_glow_2_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_cast_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_cast_c_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_cast_crack_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_cast_d_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_cast_b_instance1_instance1.vpcf
    [   ResourceCompilerSystem ]: - dota_addons\animationviewer\particles\instanced\onepunchtuskfistquarter\walking4\elder_titan_earth_splitter_c_glow_b_instance3_instance1.vpcf
    [   AssetSystem            ]: Flushing persistent asset info to disk, 44.9016 seconds since last, 1010 change delta
    [   AssetSystem            ]: AssetSystem saved persistent info for 1 layers / 177 assets in 0.003 sec
    [   VConComm               ]: =============== End VConsole Buffered Messages ===============
    This is what happens and if you try to add/remove/change children particles in this new instance of an instance you get the crash.
    Yep, this has been an on-and-off bug for a while, I think. I've encountered it multiple times which I then learned not to mess with using instanced particles within instanced particles, but I think it has been fixed before. Must have regressed with a recent update.

Quote Originally Posted by moartuba View Post
    I ended up just adding my own endcap effects to the parent one then adjusting the children and it worked, but for some reason I noticed I couldn't actually see the normal endcap children that were with the particle system. So I just re added them as "extra" endcap effects and modified the rest of the system and children from there.
    Well, it's good to hear you solved your problem! Yea, that's definitely strange that the normal end cap particles don't execute. I'd have to try and reproduce the issue on my end to see what's wrong, but that seems like a non-issue at this point I guess.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyoka View Post
    Yep, this has been an on-and-off bug for a while, I think. I've encountered it multiple times which I then learned not to mess with using instanced particles within instanced particles, but I think it has been fixed before. Must have regressed with a recent update.

Well, it's good to hear you solved your problem! Yea, that's definitely strange that the normal end cap particles don't execute. I'd have to try and reproduce the issue on my end to see what's wrong, but that seems like a non-issue at this point I guess.
    It started before 6.86 as well, just as a side note.

For some reason instancing already completed dota particle systems doesn't show children beyond 4 for me unless I add them. Not sure why that is.

It seems that also trying to directly create a .vpcf from scratch (as in, from a text file with the correct information; including kv encryption) leads to this as well. I get an essentially "empty" particle, with blank children that cause a crash when trying to open them in PET.