Thread: Unable to export MP4 Movie

Basic Member

Question Unable to export MP4 Movie

Howdy fellow Dota 2 Tools users (and hopefully developers too!),

I haven't found anything online regarding this issue I'm having, but I apologize if there is something out there I missed.
    If you have seen a solution to my problem, a link would be greatly appreciated!

As the title states, I am unable to export a Movie from SFM with the MP4 format selected.

A dialog appears that says "Unable to create encoder for movie layoff. See the console for more information."

and in VConsole (what a fantastic tool!), I find the following:
    Code:
    [ W General              ]: Recordmovie (59.94) D:\Videos\SFM\test-session
    [   General              ]: setting host_framerate from 0.000000 to 59.940060
    [ W General              ]: pSinkWriter->SetInputMediaType( *pVideoStreamIndex, pVideoTypeIn.Get(), NULL ) FAILED with error c00d36b4
    From what I've found, I think that HRESULT is returned by Media Foundation, saying it can't read the format..

Has anybody else encountered this problem? If so, were you able to fix it?

This is on Windows 8.1 Home x64, i7-4790K@~4.3GHz, 16GB DDR3@1600MHz, EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti.

(I seem to be unable to reply: But yes, I have QuickTime, and the original SFM exports MP4s perfectly fine)
    (Still can't reply, I get "This forum requires that you wait 15 seconds between posts. Please try again in 0 seconds." no matter how long I wait..)

I do have the Combined Community Codec Pack installed on my machine (just tried updating that, no change).
    I'm using MP4, H.264, 1280x720, 60fps, 3.6Mbps.
    Rendering out an image sequence or an AVI works fine.
    Last edited by onekopaka; 12-16-2015 at 02:34 PM. Reason: replying to question again when I can't reply..

Do you have Quicktime installed? I recall that was a requirement for SFM1 MP4 export, but that may not be the case anymore

Hi, I've seen this error appear in systems with a specific codec missing, albeit not the same program.
    Do you have the K-lite codec pack installed or an alternative?
    Also What are the exact settings you are rendering at and does this error occur when you render out an image sequence or an avi?

Basic Member
    Maybe now I can post a reply..
    I do have the Combined Community Codec Pack installed on my machine (tried updating that, no change).
    I'm using MP4, H.264, 1280x720, 60fps, 3.6Mbps.
    Rendering out an image sequence or an AVI works fine.

Basic Member
    Sometimes I also get a lovely crash from D3D calls failing after the export fails:
    Code:
    Console History (reversed)

335(77.415941):  ERROR! D3D call failed! hr = E_INVALIDARG ( D3D11Device()->CreateRenderTargetView( pTextureDx11, &rtViewDesc, &m_ppRenderTargetView[ i ] ) )
    *** Run with -dx11debug to see native D3D errors!
    334(77.415919):  ERROR! D3D call failed! hr = E_INVALIDARG ( D3D11Device()->CreateShaderResourceView( pTextureDx11, &srViewDesc, &m_pShaderResourceView ) )
    333(77.415870):  ERROR! D3D call failed! hr = E_INVALIDARG ( D3D11Device()->CreateTexture2D( &desc, bImmutable ? pSubResource : NULL, ( ID3D11Texture2D ** ) &pDx11Texture ) )
    332(76.492901):  pSinkWriter->SetInputMediaType( *pVideoStreamIndex, pVideoTypeIn.Get(), NULL ) FAILED with error c00d36b4
    331(76.464889):  setting host_framerate from 0.000000 to 59.940060
    330(76.464808):  Recordmovie (59.94) D:\Videos\SFM\test-session
    Rerunning with -dx11debug produced no extra information about those failing d3d calls.

The mdmp (where I pulled the reversed console output from) that was dropped in the game\bin\win64 folder is attached.
    I can attach windbg while I reproduce the bug and get a full memory dump of the process if that would help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have a hunch this might be a permission issue.
    Can you try running Steam in Admin mode, followed by running Dota 2 in Admin mode.
    Try exporting after then.

Basic Member
    An Access Violation Exception means that the game attempted to read memory, specifically, it was trying to copy the qword (64-bit unsigned integer) from the memory addressed by the pointer stored in rcx (register CX) into rax (register AX), when rcx contained "0000000000000000". The game, being in user mode (rather than kernel mode), should not be reading the very bottom of memory.
    Last edited by onekopaka; 12-23-2015 at 07:12 AM. Reason: clarifying that I mean user mode vs kernel mode