Thread: Team chat and voice chat

Basic Member

Team chat and voice chat

I downloaded 2 relays so far and I couldn't see team chat or hear voice chat in either of them. There should be options to enable both. The reason I watch replays is to see how others play, and seeing the team communications would be great. The same would be useful in live matches, too, as long as Dota TV relays the match in a delay.

Basic Member
    Agreed, I didn't check any replays so far but if the team chats are not visible they should be.

It's good to report flamers and personally I like reviewing my games from the other team's perspective sometimes, and not being able to know what they say would kill my fun

agreed

Basic Member
    Man if there comes a time when they start recording voice chat in replays I would no longer be able to unleash hate-filled verbal tirades on people. Totally against this.

Also what makes you think 'good' players voice chat? They seem to use third party voice chat apps and communicate through an elaborate language of pings, never using ingame chat.

Basic Member
    Team written chat would be nice enough... I don't need voice chat in replays

Voice Chat would most likely make the replay size explode, that's why it isn't even considered I believe, and hasn't even been considered by S2 so far.

If Valve finds a way to keep the size of the replays low while including voicechat, that would be really awesome.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLABLAFU View Post
    Voice Chat would most likely make the replay size explode, that's why it isn't even considered I believe, and hasn't even been considered by S2 so far.

If Valve finds a way to keep the size of the replays low while including voicechat, that would be really awesome.
    Voice chat doesn't take up that much extra space, unless you have all 10 players constantly holding down the voice button the whole game. Not only does the codec used require compression before the audio is even sent out by a client, but it's also easy for Valve to compress the complete replay files like they do for replays in TF2 (though they obviously don't need to split up like TF2 does), which also cuts down on filesize. I believe they use bzip2 compression which is extremely fast to decompress, and an 80 MB replay (55 minutes, a LOT of action) compresses down to 60 MB. That's still pretty big, but I'd say replays should be compressed regardless of whether or not they have voice chat.

Plus, some replays already do have voice chat. It's from commentators though. The 80 MB one I downloaded is from The International, and it has 4 voice channels (languages) that are pretty much talking non stop through the full 55 minutes.