Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: 21:9 aspect ratio hud looks awful

  1. #1

    21:9 aspect ratio hud looks awful

    3DBJl05.jpg

    on an aspect ratio of 21:9 the hud stretches horribly big.

  2. #2
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    41
    oh yes. with ultrawide monitors being released left and right, and the new 100hz gsync ones, it is time Dota follows suit with the rest of the AAA titles that all support it.

    there is a 17 page thread from over two years ago here:

    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=98068

    PLEASE! want to be able to use my monitor ! thank you

  3. #3
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    3
    Just registered for this. It shouldn't be that hard. I cant see the items I am trying to buy... And also that mini map...

    I almost stopped playing Dota after I switched to 21:9. Competitive games such as CS:GO supports it. Please fix it I'll buy all compendiums

  4. #4
    Basic Member aveyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    EU West
    Posts
    2,924
    It should be fixed but not in a way you would like - auto-black bars on sides. No UI bug, no competitive advantage either.

  5. #5
    Volunteer Moderator CvP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,334
    It should be fixed but by either
    1. putting blackbars on left/right
    or
    2. hard locking the viewport to 16:9 and fixing the hud stretching issue

  6. #6
    Basic Member aveyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    EU West
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
    It should be fixed but by either
    1. putting blackbars on left/right
    or
    2. hard locking the viewport to 16:9 and fixing the hud stretching issue
    "Hard locking the viewport to 16:9" (actually for 16:9 as the viewport takes into account the hud in advance so it's a different ratio) - it would be exactly like 1,
    unless you were thinking about stretching instead of black bars. But nobody would like that, it does not "fit" this type of game (it's fine for CS).

    Sure, if you go the extra mile, a sort of anamorphic stretch/pan/scan could result in a less deformed main focus - rather pretentious to expect it from Valve.

  7. #7
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by aveyo View Post
    It should be fixed but not in a way you would like - auto-black bars on sides. No UI bug, no competitive advantage either.
    Don't 144hz refresh rate monitors provide a competitive advantage over those who have normal 60hz? Because of this, I don't see why players who have an ultrawide shouldn't be able to take advantage of their full screen. It would be like limiting the framerate to 60fps @ 60hz to make sure all players are on an equal playing field, which they obviously don't do. Besides, playing Dota on an ultrawide has some innate flaws already, since they left and right sides of the screen are farther away from the center, which adds a slight inconvenience to edge panning for the camera.

  8. #8
    Basic Member aveyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    EU West
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrodon View Post
    Don't 144hz refresh rate monitors provide a competitive advantage over those who have normal 60hz? Because of this, I don't see why players who have an ultrawide shouldn't be able to take advantage of their full screen. It would be like limiting the framerate to 60fps @ 60hz to make sure all players are on an equal playing field, which they obviously don't do. Besides, playing Dota on an ultrawide has some innate flaws already, since they left and right sides of the screen are farther away from the center, which adds a slight inconvenience to edge panning for the camera.
    Client refresh rates are way less relevant, only the server refresh rate (tickrate) matters (competitively). Dota 2 started with it at 40, then was lowered to 30 (cheaper than upgrading server hw) and that's how it has been for years.
    Reborn brought back the 40 tickrate posibility, but it still defaults to 30. You could use a shitty 60Hz LCD, a 144Hz gaming LCD, a CRT, an OLED - does not matter, the server would still update just 30 times per second.
    Client-side animations can go further... to 60. The rest of the frames received are just duplicates. Sure, it helps against hardware design flaws but that does not make it a competitive (dis)advantage, as nobody forced flawed tech upon you.

    Talking about slight inconvenience to edge panning while totally ignoring the huge visual range increase horizontally without taking a vertical hit, sounds really tick...

    21:9 is a totally different thing as it affects a fundamental aspect of the game - aspect ratio (at it's core being 16:9, others being extrapolated from it).
    And just because you can buy a cheap 21:9 LCD now, does not mean it's a new thing - people have been using multi-display setups and projectors capable of ultra-wide aspect ratios for ages.
    Same for requesting support for it - but being such a small percent means you get ignored and just have to wait for large-scale adoption.
    In time, maybe it will take over, just like 16:9 did. But right now, IT DOES PROVIDE COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE OVER 99% of the player base (unless it's "fixed" like I've described in my last post).

    Quote Originally Posted by aveyo View Post
    Primary Display Resolution
    34.90% 1920x1080 [16:9]
    26.43% 1366x768 [16:9]
    07.14% 1600x900 [16:9]
    05.22% 1280x1024 [5:4]
    05.02% 1440x900 [16:10]
    04.56% 1680x1050 [16:10]
    02.97% 1360x768 [16:9]
    02.70% 1536x864 [16:9]
    02.03% 1024x768 [4:3]
    01.96% 1280x800 [16:10]
    01.50% 1920x1200 [16:10]
    01.29% 1280x720 [16:9]
    01.27% 2560x1440 [16:9]
    ...
    0.06% 3440x1440 [21:9]


    Get relevant,
    Yours 16:9 master race

  9. #9
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by aveyo View Post

    Talking about slight inconvenience to edge panning while totally ignoring the huge visual range increase horizontally without taking a vertical hit, sounds really tick...

    21:9 is a totally different thing as it affects a fundamental aspect of the game - aspect ratio (at it's core being 16:9, others being extrapolated from it).
    And just because you can buy a cheap 21:9 LCD now, does not mean it's a new thing - people have been using multi-display setups and projectors capable of ultra-wide aspect ratios for ages.
    Same for requesting support for it - but being such a small percent means you get ignored and just have to wait for large-scale adoption.
    In time, maybe it will take over, just like 16:9 did. But right now, IT DOES PROVIDE COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE OVER 99% of the player base (unless it's "fixed" like I've described in my last post).

    Oh I agree that it provides a competitive advantage, but the number of ultrawides on the market is only increasing, and so will the user base of that aspect ratio. I don't think Valve will fix the HUD problems by just adding black bars, since if you have an ultrawide you can already play it in 16:9 with the bars yourself. The game natively supports the resolution already, and it's pretty much playable, aside from from graphical glitches with the HUD. CS:GO is the same way.

    I think the bigger problem, as you said, is that there is such a small portion of the user base with ultrawides that Valve has no real reason to look at this issue. For all I know, the resolution was enabled simply due to how the source engine is designed, and it's not something that Valve deliberately added to the game. But even so, if they really cared about the competitive advantage it would be easy to disable the resolution or add black bars, and conversely it would be just as easy to simply fix the HUD graphical glitches that currently exist at the resolution. But this bug has been around for a couple of years, so this leads me to believe that either Valve doesn't think it provides a big enough advantage or they just don't care because there is such a small portion of users. Either way, the ultrawide market is quickly growing and Valve will probably have to address the issue one way or another soon.

  10. #10
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    3
    I dont even care if i see less. Just fix the HUD plz.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •