Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Force a pick when AP timer expires

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittsies View Post
    Why is there even a timer to begin with? I should be able to pick my hero and immediately go out and play the game, start warding, etc.
    that would punish people that think about their picks for more than 10 seconds, you'd have a head start...

I don't see how giving an AFK player a random hero would be any better than him picking late. It's not like he's going to UN-afk when he's given a random character that he might not even know how to play.
    This is a very bad idea, and I don't ever see it being implemented.

You say that it's intended to be a punishment, but it punishes that team as well, because instead of a player being a couple minutes late to the game with a character he knows how to play, he is instead late with a character he might have never played before. This easily leads to raging/flaming/being bad/feeding (intentionally or unintentionally).

I also don't see how this would fix how late-pickers "fuck up" line ups. A random character could just as easily mess up the team line up.

The way it is now works fine, picking late has its pros and cons:
    Pros: you get to counterpick, more thinking time
    Cons: you lose out on gametime where you could be getting experience, warding, etc.

To answer the people who wonder "why do we even have a timer then" it is to give the rest of the players a fair amount of time to think and pick without the game starting on them. Players who choose to take longer than this allotted time are penalized by losing experience/lane preference.

picking in the last second will not allow anyone to counter this pick!

Quote Originally Posted by hsdvo View Post
    I don't see how giving an AFK player a random hero would be any better than him picking late.
    A game shouldn't be starting with an AFK player. BLABLAFU even said as much. If a player is present to accept the matchmade invite, why shouldn't he be there to actually pick a hero?

And it's true that a random character could mess up the team line up. The difference, though, is that there's time to compensate for it in lane planning before creep spawn. Late picks, though, eat up the planning time.

As already stated, though, realistically, random picks shouldn't even be happening. Instead, people would realize, "Oh shit, time's running out. I better put an end to this game of lastpick chicken and just pick a hero I'm comfortable with that fills a hole in our team comp rather than risk getting a hero I have no idea how to play."

Quote Originally Posted by Zamzoph View Post
    A game shouldn't be starting with an AFK player. BLABLAFU even said as much. If a player is present to accept the matchmade invite, why shouldn't he be there to actually pick a hero?
    This is another issue entirely. It's like saying why do we even have such a thing as jail? People should just follow the laws. I agree that players should be not AFK at the start of a game... but realistically some people will always AFK.

And it's true that a random character could mess up the team line up. The difference, though, is that there's time to compensate for it in lane planning before creep spawn. Late picks, though, eat up the planning time.
    I think that putting a player on a character he does not know much strongly hinders the outcome of the game than having less planning time.

As already stated, though, realistically, random picks shouldn't even be happening. Instead, people would realize, "Oh shit, time's running out. I better put an end to this game of lastpick chicken and just pick a hero I'm comfortable with that fills a hole in our team comp rather than risk getting a hero I have no idea how to play."
    But they're afk.

Quote Originally Posted by hsdvo View Post
    This is another issue entirely. It's like saying why do we even have such a thing as jail? People should just follow the laws. I agree that players should be not AFK at the start of a game... but realistically some people will always AFK.
    And those people will be kicked out with an abandon mark while matchmaking restarts to get someone who isn't AFK.

And those people will be kicked out with an abandon mark while matchmaking restarts to get someone who isn't AFK.
    yes. this is a more viable solution

Forced random is meant to be an unpleasant outcome. That way, people are actually encouraged to make their picks before the timer expires. It would be uncommon for actual forced randoms to occur unless it was a player's intention to go random in the first place.

Having someone who won't pick until creep spawns (or even later) also potentially ruins the lineup, and in such cases, there's no longer time to plan to make up for shortcomings. I'd much rather have all picks be done by timer expiration so that plans for laning and courier/ward buying can be made without having to worry about my last ally picking something retarded and throwing all the plans out the window.
    I agree with this. Most people see this issue as bad for your team. I think it is as this guy describes, good for the other team. It is punishment for not picking before the timer runs out. I also think it is so you give the opposing team time to think about your picks so they can decide lanes with some time left.
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Steam Id: KevinCorporation

Quote Originally Posted by Mittsies View Post
    Why is there even a timer to begin with? I should be able to pick my hero and immediately go out and play the game, start warding, etc.
    Because you should be using that first precious minute to discuss hero picking strategies. It's supposed to be a team game, not a solo game.

Basic Member
    Like everyone else, no. Don't punish people for something you are assuming (afkers). Picks and counter picks are part of every single game, and if someone starts late, that's his own problem. The game snit determined in the first minute.