Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Force a pick when AP timer expires

Basic Member

[Suggestion] Force a pick when AP timer expires

Three times today the timer has ran way past 0:00 and the game starts before someone picks the last hero(es). Can we please just have those who don't choose in time just given a random hero so the team doesn't start one person down?

Basic Member
    Don't do this, waiting out the other team is part of tactics. If they want to last pick riki, then one in your team hasn't picked yet, then one or the other will be forced to pick first by the timer, meaning it is a chicken race to pick counters. Which is utterly stupid, so I agree.

Basic Member
    yeah, don't do this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookie View Post
    Three times today the timer has ran way past 0:00 and the game starts before someone picks the last hero(es). Can we please just have those who don't choose in time just given a random hero so the team doesn't start one person down?
    I don't see why it's needed. Forcing, i.e. randoming a pick for your ally is probably far worse than he being 10 minutes too late in the game ...

Not needed for AP to be honest. Only for more serious gamemodes like SD and CM.

Banned
    Well, isn't it already part of CM?

Basic Member
    Yes, timing is already integrated into CM, so not an issue there.

As for AP, you have a couple of cases:
    1. The person not picking is a noob, and will probably suck anyway, so it really does not matter if you are one down or not.
    2. The person picking is afk, so randoming them a pick only gets you a random hero (which they may not know how to play) hanging out in your base
    3. There is a level of strategy going on with the people picking that perhaps you are not aware of, in which case you have to assume it is for the best of the team.

In cases 1 and 2 it does not matter if there is a timer or not (though I would argue in case 1, it is helpful NOT to have a timer) and in case 3, it is potentially helpful.

Thus, I would say that there is no reason to force auto random.

Basic Member
    i dont support this. It shall be like in dota 1

What is the point of the timer then if you can just pick after it hits zero? I like the random idea because if you pick at like 2 seconds, it does not matter, they can still counter pick you after it hits zero, so picking fast or slow does not really matter that much.
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Steam Id: KevinCorporation

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinCorporation View Post
    What is the point of the timer then if you can just pick after it hits zero? I like the random idea because if you pick at like 2 seconds, it does not matter, they can still counter pick you after it hits zero, so picking fast or slow does not really matter that much.
    There wasn't a timer in DotA 1. I am not sure why it is there.
    But I believe this is the time where you only select the hero and have to wait until the time runs out to start playing.
    So it's Pre-Game-time (I think they also called it pre-game).
    It just gives you 60 seconds to think about your hero choice, without losing precious game time.