Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My Project :D

At the time the GetLiveLeagueGames api was crappy (unreliable and barely any data).

So I wanted to build an in-browser replay viewer of sorts.
    Not like a 3D one, but one that showed hero locations on a 2D map, along with spells/buffs/items on a side bar sort of thing.
    The cool thing about that would be that it wouldn't be much work to adjust that so that it works on ANY live game being played.

But with work commitments, life, my getting frustrated with trying to reverse engineer replay files, and valve adding positions to the GetLiveLeagueGames API - I kinda gave up and directed my time elsewhere!
    Last edited by MuppetMaster42; 04-05-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Muppet, my man (guessing?), you are after my own heart. I had visions of that sort of tech with data from different games, a la ghostracing.

It is still super rough, but I am (finally) iterating on that concept. Use any parsed match ids (like 2274835225 and 2274989571), maybe from the parsed match index or recent premium-league games, and it should work. I think it definitely needs time-skipping by more than 1s (aside from dragging the bar), fixed labels and colors for differentiation + formatting, and more figures, ex a bar chart for the difference in various stats (like Str: 2, Int: -5, Health: +1000) to show a balance. But: I am making progress.

I'll spend a couple hours on the followup blog post doc'ing what data I have, then work on making that page pretty. It has been a really long road, but the turning point is in sight.
    Last edited by datadrivendota; 04-06-2016 at 07:22 AM.

oh wow - that's close to what I wanted to do, except I wanted all 10 heroes at once

surprisingly there's not that much data there for each hero (I counted around 250kb each gzipped for the hour long match 2274835225).
    you could probably achieve 10 heroes without too much in the way of downloads.
    Heck, even if you were streaming it that wouldn't be bad at all.

As an aside - you should look at changing from an ease in-out animation to a flat speed animation that takes 1s.
    That way you wouldn't get the start-stop affect and it'd flow a bit more.
    You're also using jQuery to animate? you could achieve the same effect with css transition styling, though with less old browser support.

it looks really good, i'm impressed.
    it's a different approach to what I was looking at, but it works well (and without the effort overhead of writing your own parser lol).

i'm actually kinda jelly now haha

I'll slap together the version for ten heroes from one match tomorrow and see if I can make it look presentable! For now, I am pushing the linear easing function; it actually happens in handrolled D3, so it is pretty easy to adjust.

I am deeply honored muppet, your opinion means a lot to me . I have been borderline-irresponsible pursuing this project for as long as I have, so positive validation is nice to hear! I originally dove into this ~3 years ago with mediocre-to-bad software experience, figuring I would learn on the way. (Spoiler alert: it was quite hard.) I hope I can iron out the kinks and make it turn revenue positive soon, but impressing people is a great feeling.

Would you like to be added to the credits page? Who is your favorite hero?

For you, muppet. We'll whack it with the pretty stick later.

haha thanks, I'm blushing.
    I haven't even done anything!.

if you really want to put me on there, then there can be no battle till axe is at hand, and axe is.

also fuck you and you existing architecture and frameworks being setup and being able to accomplish what I wanted with ease.
    haha!

honestly it looks great.
    It's pretty much exactly as I envisioned!

i'm impressed that you whipped the whole thing together so quickly as well.
    seriously, nice work man.

I'm surprised at how compressed the data is as well
    1701.10KB gzipped for something like 10-14MB of data.
    It took around 70s to load it all (228 request at ~300ms each).
    if you were to smoosh it all together into fewer request, then you'd drop 90% of the load time!
    (https handshakes + round trip = majority of the time considering each is ~7-10KB)

that basic styling actually looks pretty decent.. i mean, unless you're planning for the super professional design a-la dota2.com/watch lol (I just found out they haven't updated that site to support the newest items [iron talon, etc] - so it bugs out kek).

The only improvement I'd suggest is to animate the HP/mana bars.
    might be a bit hard right now because I notice that the dom tree gets rebuilt every tick (i see an innerHtml string replacement in there!).

Thank you for your kind words muppet . We'll see what the big community thinks in a couple weeks. We only need ~140 subs to break even, which would be a load off my mind.

You're on the contributor page, Muppet! If you have a different bio you prefer, please let me know.

Also, I pushed some buttons and the in-browser replay should load much faster. Unfortunately this comes at the cost of undoing previously parsed matches; new ones will come in correctly, and I will backpopulate a few. This sort of thing is why we have not gone live yet! One of the other things I want to add: Radiant/Dire totals for all the figures in their rows.

As for animating the HP & mana bars, that is pretty straightforward, but getting to cash-neutral probably comes first. We'll see what happens!

that's not too bad!
    I would have thought it might cost more to run.

You've got a lot to offer so i wouldn't be surprised if you get a fair few subs.

yeah those changes did some work! only took ~13s to load it all! sick.
    hey, you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette!
    iron out these sorts of breaking changes before release and then you gucci!

at around 18:50 there's a team fight. its pretty cool watching storm's mana drop instantly :P

!!

More breaking changes, but now we can chart down to the second by default thanks to webGL. It is a little chunky, but we can enspeeden it/fix the colors later.