110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 17.27%
  • No

82 74.55%
  • Don't know - Don't care

9 8.18%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Key combinations (mainly for Invoker)

Cool [Suggestion] Key combinations (mainly for Invoker)

[Update - it is possible from steam's console: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=19142 ]

Hi,

For Invoker, in DotA 1, I use a cool hotkey editing program, named "warkeys", which not only changes hotkeys, but allows for multiple keys "pressed" for one real key pressed.

What does that mean? Well,

I make single buttons invoke a spell, for example pressing "4" gives the result of pressing "QQWRWW", so I'm ready to go invisible with tripple W on, for maximum movespeed. To cast a Meteor, I simply press "3" then "D", aim, click. For Ice Wall, "N" then "G" and it is cast.

Another simple example, pressing "E" gives the result of pressing "E" three times. The same thing for the "Q" and "W" keys.

It removes a great part of the technical difficulties of playing Invoker, and lets you enjoy the real gameplay.

I believe something similar should be possible in DOTA 2's control settings. Binding a key to do multiple things.
    (Or third party software kicks in... if approved)

EDIT:
    I'd like to quote something from http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=18355

"The good thing about invoker is, u need some skill to master him, u need to know the combinations to do the right spell at the right time etc."

I believe this sort of is the BAD thing about invoker, having to memorize and quickly press a lot of buttons. Mastery isn't knowing how to do things fast, it is knowing when and how to do them properly.
    Last edited by Stratubas; 01-25-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: added the "EDIT" part

Basic Member
    A story of the Invoker:

When Invoker was reintroduced back in the 6.5x days of DotA, having his spells cut down from like a few dozens to 10, I was like "yay! at last a hero which is unique to play."
    The hero proved so difficult to play, I just gave up at some point(balance patches effectively castrating meteor completely made the noobstyle build pretty much useless)Also the arrival of Windrunner gave me one of my back-then-favourites, which I really loved to play excessively.
    After some time and rearranging my hotkeys, so they would fit to my custom keys(yxcv back then) I went back to play some games with invoker, this time with some preparation: I knew what I wanted to play(meh first release you didnt even need to know, just skill meteor and go bash some heads in with that almost instagib spell with ~ 20 sec cd), skilling tornado-emp combovoker in multiple games, always improving my invoke speed for additional spells, i painstakingly came to memorize invokers spells for quick invokes, which also had a huge impact on my general usefulnes for the team(seriously, if you suck, just stick to tornado-emp-blast!)
    As time passed by, I came to play omg dota and skill footy, which have one thing in common: it can easily happen, that multiple spells have the same hotkey assigned to them. The solution was a tool, which would bind any keys to positions instead of skills, simulating mouse clicks on the assigned positions: Blamestars Hotkey tool.
    This gave a little boost to my invoker play as I wouldn't have to memorize and reach 10 different keys, which were even with my reorganized key set pretty far off from where my keys usually were and instead have my invoked skills all on s and d. Pretty much similar to how it is now.
    As I came to realize, that tool would not only allow me to play any map with fixed keys but also playing invoker way easier than having to know 10 keys, of which only 2 would be in the area where secondary skills usually were placed, I started playing invoker again, again painstakingly increasing the speed of my invokes. This time, Invoker had received some buffs in some patch, which allowed me to pretty much dominate any solo mid lane with just Alacrity, Sun Strike and one or the other Chaos Meteor, before alacrity got toned down again, yet I also played my old Emp Tornado combovoker. Late Game, everything except for Ice Wall would come out swiftly and quickly invoked and well placed. Aghanims for invoker was one of the highlights, allowing for the fastest invoke-spamming ever. Bringing my Invoker skills to new heights, I played him some more till the arrival of heroes like wisp and phoenix, which just instantly caught my eyes as being very fun to play, too, yet my main focus soon became -random.

Why do I write this here?
    Because what the OP wrote is absolute bullshit.
    You wanna play without having to train for it or needing any skill?
    go play DotA paralympics aka LoL!

I tell you something:
    For everyone who has gone through the pain of failing like every second game, having to constantly memorize spell comboes, always blushing, when typing "-invokelist" in chat, then proceeding to failing at throwing out spellcomboes cause the fingers were too slow, missinvoking, missplacing spells in the hassle, then going on to improve the precision and speed of the invokes, just quick-invoking random stuff to get a feeling for the spells and spellcomboes and also trying to work out the perfect timing of tornado-emp-comboes while constantly being flamed by ones allies for not being good enough, for everyone of them, this thread here is a declaration of war!
    Scripts are basically stomping over all the effort put into training invokes. Basically, all script kiddies to, is pressing single keys to unleash exactly the comboes, we as passionate Invoker players, trained hard to get down with precision and speed in an instant.

Your Fingerspeed is too slow to play Invoker?
    YOU WANT A SCRIPT FOR THAT?

I mean, I definitely suck at lasthitting for a long time, I want a script or tool, which automatically lasthits for me, evades ganks and dodges stuns.

I fail at hooking cause I never bothered playing pudge that much.
    Am I allowed to play with an autohook-script?

And ultimately: If I ever failed at evading ganks, I could always get a maphack, which reveals the map and thus allows me to see incoming ganks, which would else ruin my gaming experience.
    Yes. Ruining my gaming experience. As being too slow at invoking "ruins" your game experience. Just grow some balls and train hard for your invoking skills as people trained hard to hit hooks and arrows, trained to lasthit and learned to sense incoming ganks just by the movements of their laning opponents(after some years, I always feel some kind of static tension, when a gank is incoming)

So stop using scripts, stomping over other peoples hard work and also stop requesting stuff like that.
    Invoker is supposed to be the way he is, else, they could just give him 2 sets of 5 spells and a button to switch between them.
    Last edited by naphack; 01-20-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: grammar

Basic Member
    IMO invoker is already imba, the only thing that doesn't make him a godlike monster is the difficulty to cast multiple spells in a short time (which is not that hard if you are used to play him), why would you want to change that?

lol this guy is actually asking invoker which is a godlike hero with so many spells become freaking easy to play.come on dude.. invoker was never meant to be easy to play. you wanna know why? cause unlike any other heroes, he got tons of spells he can use.dont you think its kinda bit cheating on asking something like this? kinda shortcut to make invo so freaking imba? to make all the spells he had so freaking easy to use? geez.you gotta practice to get better at invoker. not by using script to bind keys and makes everything easier. its unfair.nuff said

Invoker is already autopick/autoban in most CMs, he does not need a buff to his playstyle.

no, go cheat/script in another game.

Basic Member
    Fixed Quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Stratubas View Post
    "The good thing about invoker is, u need a lot of skill to master him, u need to know the combinations to do the right spell at the right time etc."

I believe this sort of is the GOOD thing about invoker, having to memorize and quickly press a lot of buttons. Mastery is knowing how to do things fast and it is knowing when and how to do them properly.

Dota is a skill based competitive game. The more skill requiring things are in the game, the more skill matters. And that is good for a competitive skillbased game!
    That it is not impossible to play a really good Invoker has been proven quite some times. If you want to master this hero: train him! If you are to lazy to do so... play other heros or play him on your level... but don't cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by naphack View Post
    A story of the Invoker:

When Invoker was reintroduced back in the 6.5x days of DotA, having his spells cut down from like a few dozens to 10, I was like "yay! at last a hero which is unique to play."
    The hero proved so difficult to play, I just gave up at some point(balance patches effectively castrating meteor completely made the noobstyle build pretty much useless)Also the arrival of Windrunner gave me one of my back-then-favourites, which I really loved to play excessively.
    After some time and rearranging my hotkeys, so they would fit to my custom keys(yxcv back then) I went back to play some games with invoker, this time with some preparation: I knew what I wanted to play(meh first release you didnt even need to know, just skill meteor and go bash some heads in with that almost instagib spell with ~ 20 sec cd), skilling tornado-emp combovoker in multiple games, always improving my invoke speed for additional spells, i painstakingly came to memorize invokers spells for quick invokes, which also had a huge impact on my general usefulnes for the team(seriously, if you suck, just stick to tornado-emp-blast!)
    As time passed by, I came to play omg dota and skill footy, which have one thing in common: it can easily happen, that multiple spells have the same hotkey assigned to them. The solution was a tool, which would bind any keys to positions instead of skills, simulating mouse clicks on the assigned positions: Blamestars Hotkey tool.
    This gave a little boost to my invoker play as I wouldn't have to memorize and reach 10 different keys, which were even with my reorganized key set pretty far off from where my keys usually were and instead have my invoked skills all on s and d. Pretty much similar to how it is now.
    As I came to realize, that tool would not only allow me to play any map with fixed keys but also playing invoker way easier than having to know 10 keys, of which only 2 would be in the area where secondary skills usually were placed, I started playing invoker again, again painstakingly increasing the speed of my invokes. This time, Invoker had received some buffs in some patch, which allowed me to pretty much dominate any solo mid lane with just Alacrity, Sun Strike and one or the other Chaos Meteor, before alacrity got toned down again, yet I also played my old Emp Tornado combovoker. Late Game, everything except for Ice Wall would come out swiftly and quickly invoked and well placed. Aghanims for invoker was one of the highlights, allowing for the fastest invoke-spamming ever. Bringing my Invoker skills to new heights, I played him some more till the arrival of heroes like wisp and phoenix, which just instantly caught my eyes as being very fun to play, too, yet my main focus soon became -random.

Why do I write this here?
    Because what the OP wrote is absolute bullshit.
    You wanna play without having to train for it or needing any skill?
    go play DotA paralympics aka LoL!

I tell you something:
    For everyone who has gone through the pain of failing like every second game, having to constantly memorize spell comboes, always blushing, when typing "-invokelist" in chat, then proceeding to failing at throwing out spellcomboes cause the fingers were too slow, missinvoking, missplacing spells in the hassle, then going on to improve the precision and speed of the invokes, just quick-invoking random stuff to get a feeling for the spells and spellcomboes and also trying to work out the perfect timing of tornado-emp-comboes while constantly being flamed by ones allies for not being good enough, for everyone of them, this thread here is a declaration of war!
    Scripts are basically stomping over all the effort put into training invokes. Basically, all script kiddies to, is pressing single keys to unleash exactly the comboes, we as passionate Invoker players, trained hard to get down with precision and speed in an instant.

Your Fingerspeed is too slow to play Invoker?
    YOU WANT A SCRIPT FOR THAT?

I mean, I definitely suck at lasthitting for a long time, I want a script or tool, which automatically lasthits for me, evades ganks and dodges stuns.

I fail at hooking cause I never bothered playing pudge that much.
    Am I allowed to play with an autohook-script?

And ultimately: If I ever failed at evading ganks, I could always get a maphack, which reveals the map and thus allows me to see incoming ganks, which would else ruin my gaming experience.
    Yes. Ruining my gaming experience. As being too slow at invoking "ruins" your game experience. Just grow some balls and train hard for your invoking skills as people trained hard to hit hooks and arrows, trained to lasthit and learned to sense incoming ganks just by the movements of their laning opponents(after some years, I always feel some kind of static tension, when a gank is incoming)

So stop using scripts, stomping over other peoples hard work and also stop requesting stuff like that.
    Invoker is supposed to be the way he is, else, they could just give him 2 sets of 5 spells and a button to switch between them.
    This man needs a medal!
    Before posting a bug read the Bug posting guidelines first and check the Known Bugs list For existing bugs.

Use the report () button when you need help from a Moderator.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trena99 View Post
    This man needs a medal!
    I agree, Valve needs to stop this shit!

Thanks for replying, very interesting views. But I wish some players that actually avoid playing Invoker because of his technical difficulties replied too.

I deeply understand that, after putting effort to master Invoker the hard way, you wouldn't want him to be "easy" to play for newer players.

Anyway, I still believe he would be more "fun" to play with script-like settings.

I remember how it was before discovering autowarkeys. Indeed, there IS excitement when you make cool combos with dozens of buttons. But it felt a lot better when I started using autowarkeys.

I suggest you try playing him the way I do. Maybe it can change the way you feel about these scripts. Maybe not.

Please don't rage or flame. I'm just sharing my thoughts about my favourite hero.

PS: I'm not at home now. I'll try to upload my profile settings for invoker when I get there, in case someone actually wants to try it.